Is The Pandora Vaporware?

Yarkle

Still Fresh
Sure it was a good idea and had potential, but this thing has been in porudction for years now. I've been keeping up with the status since september of 2009 and nothing significant has happened towards shipping them out to people. If you keep waiting; the hardware is going to be obsolete and not worth $300+. They already have peoples money from pre orders. And if you have ever been scammed by someone on ebay or some other form of buying from the internet; you would know that the scammer makes up lies and excuses everytime you contact him. Which is basically whats happening on the Pandora's website. Every blog post explains something that went wrong or something stunting the progress of shipping these things out. I think the Pandora team got in too deep with this idea and ran out of money or people to finish it and thus the project will dissapear and never happen. Thoughts?

Except there has been progress. Not just a few weeks ago, boards and stickers arrived on Craig's neighbours door.
The "scam" thing has come up time and again. Basically, if it is a scam, it is one of the worst, most convoluted, lowest ROI scam in history.
My thought is that you only signed up because you want to poke the proverbial bees nest. You have absolutely no interest in anyone's actual opinion, you just want to have some fun and see how hard you can push people before they break.
The fact that you're doing this in the guise of worthwhile discussion makes you a sociopath. This is a severe medical condition for which treatments are available. I suggest you speak to your doctor about your problem. He should be able to recommend a therapist who will then help you either emotionally or chemical get through whatever issues you are having that make you want to act this way. Best of luck to you.

WizardStan said:
The "scam" thing has come up time and again. Basically, if it is a scam, it is one of the worst, most convoluted, lowest ROI scam in history.
or best practical joke in the history of the internet

Last edited by a moderator:
The title made me giggle :D , but the post wasn't funny, just disturbing :angry: . I think WizardStan :ph34r: hit the nail on the head with the sociopath thing.

If you're going to troll, at least look back through the old threads so you know what's been tried time and time again.

Hardware is as obsolete as the N900 and iPhone.

Heck, the PSP is still being sold as gaming device, and that hardware is obsolete since years...

See, the trick with a scam is .. scammers _run with the money_; they don't hang around building a bigger and bigger scheme, after they've got it. So, no. Its just goofy :)

Besides, independant people have seen the Pandora; hell, I'm open for another lunch at a pub to wave mine around if folks are interested in Toronto :)

jeff

What's with all the trolls recently?

The recent influx have been far less informed than the usual bunch too. Odd.

Jeez what a bunch of raged and defensive members. I didn't sign up to troll you, i wanted to ask the question that obviously no one else here asked. You then give me a wall of text on how i'm a sociopath? Nice community you have here.

Sigh.

His/her first post and it's one about the project being a scam... Seriously, you made an account for posting this?

If OpenPandora wanted to run off with our money they had the chance many, many times before. We have seen boards, cases, various other parts, complete prototypes, dozens of videos that display the OS and various applications and games, etcetera. If this is a scam, then it's a REALLY bad one. They could have taken the million+ coins and run of with them a long time ago.

Also, who says the hardware is obsolete? What is this for ridiculous talk? Because the hardware cannot be used for space travel it is obsolete? Because it is not on par with the latest over-expensive (€500 to €1000) crap phone from company X it is obsolete? LOL! Seems like some people want a portable PlayStation 3 in their pocket, and that would still not be enough. It is never enough, not even when they have a PlayStation 4 with phone capabilities in their pocket. The PSP and the DS are also not very fast and up to par with various other electronic devices, and they still sell like hotcakes. The maximum capacities of the Pandora will also probably never be used. Not even the GP2X F-100 is being used to the max as I'm writing this. Hardware capacities don't guaranty quality. And many devices with hardware limitations have brought forth very cool stuff. If you have certain limitations that is also a thing that can be used as an advantage.

So, all in all this is yet another worthless topic about the potential failure of the project, and a rant towards how long it has taken already. OpenPandora never gave us a hard date when the device will come out, just assumptions and possibilities. People who stepped in and placed an order knew that beforehand. So, I don't really see a problem here. If you want to wait, place an order. If you already placed one and can wait, then wait. If you don't wanna wait anymore, grab your money and spend it on a massage or whatever you like.

Woah. That means the DSi XL was obsolete like a thousand years before release. A new iphone, which has similar specs, costs like $500+, right?

Wootson said:
Sigh.

His/her first post and it's one about the project being a scam... Seriously, you made an account for posting this?

If OpenPandora wanted to run off with our money they had the chance many, many times before. We have seen boards, cases, various other parts, complete prototypes, dozens of videos that display the OS and various applications and games, etcetera. If this is a scam, then it's a REALLY bad one. They could have taken the million+ coins and run of with them a long time ago.

Also, who says the hardware is obsolete? What is this for ridiculous talk? Because the hardware cannot be used for space travel it is obsolete? Because it is not on par with the latest over-expensive (€500 to €1000) crap phone from company X it is obsolete? LOL! Seems like some people want a portable PlayStation 3 in their pocket, and that would still not be enough. It is never enough, not even when they have a PlayStation 4 with phone capabilities in their pocket. The PSP and the DS are also not very fast and up to par with various other electronic devices, and they still sell like hotcakes. The maximum capacities of the Pandora will also probably never be used. Not even the GP2X F-100 is being used to the max as I'm writing this. Hardware capacities don't guaranty quality. And many devices with hardware limitations have brought forth very cool stuff. If you have certain limitations that is also a thing that can be used as an advantage.

So, all in all this is yet another worthless topic about the potential failure of the project, and a rant towards how long it has taken already. OpenPandora never gave us a hard date when the device will come out, just assumptions and possibilities. People who stepped in and placed an order knew that beforehand. So, I don't really see a problem here. If you want to wait, place an order. If you already placed one and can wait, then wait. If you don't wanna wait anymore, grab your money and spend it on a massage or whatever you like.
The iphone/ipod doesn't run a full desktop like this will. Did you forget that's a feature? Stop giving me walls of text t;dr

Yarkle said:
Stop giving me walls of text t;dr

hum, i'm really starting to wonder what does this one eat?

Sigh, any opinion other than praise for this device is delcared trolling and being an asshole i guess.

Back