Is the XFCE menu trolling anyone else?

gruso

thunderbox
Website
pandorapress.net
I couldn't find a mention of this anywhere. Sometimes the XFCE menu seems to respond slowly to a click (when opening a submenu), or it doesn't respond at all. Or it responds, and opens the submenu, but the submenu disappears when I go to select something.
L0Nc7.png
Fiend.

I've ruled out performance issues, input method and my own customisations as the issue. I think it's just XFCE, or this version of it. (I just did another run through with various input methods and for the moment, it's behaving perfectly. Definitely trolling me now.)

Anyone else?

I'm personally just going to ditch a lot pre-installed software including XFCE and install openbox, whenever I get mine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sometimes multiple instances of the menu come up and they stay up, even without focus, it is really annoying as I have to click "About" and exit the window that comes up for every one that does this....

I'm mostly bothered by the menu refusing the close every once in a while. Opening an application from the menu and then closing it seems to 'fix' it, but it is annoying as hell.

<edit>Ah, Ninja'd by Kloplop</edit>

I was hoping to enable hotkeys in the menu to speed up navigation and accuracy, but apparently XFCE doesn't support them.

Is this an XFCE problem or a port problem? I don't experience this on an x86 machine running XFCE so I'm guessing it is the port to either ARM or the Pandora.

Gruso, same here AND I can't get the latest build of Mupen64 to exit while under XFCE anymore. It will exit under MiniMenu, however. I've even tried deleting all of the appdata and the PND, remaping the exit key, playing with clock, etc. Nothing works.

I'm not having any terribly noticeable problems with XFCE. I also followed the guide to "making xfce sexy" - replacing the theme with shiki-human and enabling compositing. It actually runs pretty nicely.

But, Openbox, fluxbox...much more lightweight. But, if we were to switch to Openbox or Fluxbox, would PND's continue to work?

I kinda wish Pandora was running Debian...the repos would be faster.

I couldn't find a mention of this anywhere. Sometimes the XFCE menu seems to respond slowly to a click (when opening a submenu), or it doesn't respond at all. Or it responds, and opens the submenu, but the submenu disappears when I go to select something.
L0Nc7.png
Fiend.

I've ruled out performance issues, input method and my own customisations as the issue. I think it's just XFCE, or this version of it. (I just did another run through with various input methods and for the moment, it's behaving perfectly. Definitely trolling me now.)

Anyone else?

Agreed. Completely. I thought this was just me.

I noticed with hf5 that theres some xfce menu 'pause' but it looks like icon loadin to me.. Previously xfce wasnt showing all the icons so I think it burps while caching now...

Jeffphone

^ In support of that, I happened to be running from a fresh SD image last night, and saw the telltale LED flicker when loading menus. Once the menu and all submenus had loaded once, they ran smooth (without SD seeking), but next time I used the menu, it was reading the card (and stalling) again.

^ In support of that, I happened to be running from a fresh SD image last night, and saw the telltale LED flicker when loading menus. Once the menu and all submenus had loaded once, they ran smooth (without SD seeking), but next time I used the menu, it was reading the card (and stalling) again.

If that's the case, can we assume that this fickle unresponsiveness of the menu is the fault of a slow SD card? I hope a class 10 is fast enough to avoid those issues...

I'm running from NAND, and my apps are stored on a class 10 SD card. I have a similar issue also I keep accidentally triggering log out when I click on the Pandora icon XFCE menu as my menu is now full screen height so I moved my menu to top of the screen. For now, I'm using the pandora button to bring up the menu and dpad to navigate.

Me too. Also experienced slowness/unresponsiveness and menu not going away, both on sd card boot and nand.

I'll keep an eye on it too see if sd card is worse than nand.

I don't tend to boot much from nand anymore though as I'm always geeking around installing/trying stuff!

BTW, it's actually Xfce rather than XFCE. I know, it's a little odd, and I'm not sure why.
My understanding is that it's because it used to be an acronym, and now it isn't. ;)

Anyway, I get this too, but only to a tiny degree. I don't have a ton of apps, so it's still quick and responsive to pull up the menu, for me.

Back