Is there a 3DO emulator for OP?

A cautionary note to anyone thinking of picking up a copy of Way of the Warrior for a PAL 3DO, while the majority of NTSC region games run on the PAL machine (in slightly bordered PAL, not 60hz), WOTW is one of the few that won't run on one ;)

Edit: At least, on the original Panasonic model. I have both PAL & NTSC machines, and WOTW. No idea if later variants or other makers had broader compatibility.

Last edited by a moderator:
The CDi was such a strange machine.

I remember once reading a long article about it (maybe retrogamer?) and in an interview with a dev he said it was such poor hardware that it could not even scroll properly, just scrolling a map around the screen took up most of the CPU. Adding sprites then made it worse.

He referenced Micromachines as being a fine example of it, and indeed it looks like it's in slow motion on youtube.

I'm guessing it didn't have an 8bit mode and that was what caused it.

There are some CD-i interviews and articles here:

http://www.blackmoon...ce_articles.php

This one makes good mention of technical limitations of the machine:

http://www.blackmoon...john_brooks.php

It's pretty clear that the thing was either never truly designed with games in mind, or if it was the designers had no idea what made for appropriate game hardware.

It's pretty clear that the thing was either never truly designed with games in mind, or if it was the designers had no idea what made for appropriate game hardware.

It really wasn't. Phillips was aiming it at the "multimedia" phenomenon that everyone seemed to think was imminent. It was meant for encyclopedias and interactive educational stuff, for people who were scared of computers. Pulling off simple games was a handy side effect, and they only really started a push for real games after it was obvious that multimedia was a pipe dream outside of the PC world.

Considering what the system was, it's actually fairly impressive that they managed to do what they did (Check out "Atlantis: The Last Resort"). I mean, this thing was basically a half-step up from DVD menus. One thing that the system did do VERY well was FMV games like Dragon's Lair and Mad Dog McCree... of course, these are pretty simple games, and their main trick played right into the CD-i's strength. The digital video cartridge made for the best home versions of these games until the DVD releases came out almost a decade later.

--Zero

Back