Is There Going To Be Any Changes To The Pandora's Case

To hijack this topic: the case is the biggest problem in the near future I think. Getting the resistance of the hinge just right so it's easy to open but stays in any given position may be a bitch.

And you know this.... How?

The little friction hinges can be adjusted with a screwdriver to different levels of resistance, I cannot figure out how that would be considered even remotely hard. :p

palmertech said:
And you know this.... How?

The little friction hinges can be adjusted with a screwdriver to different levels of resistance, I cannot figure out how that would be considered even remotely hard. :p
Maybe; I'm a worrier

Last edited by a moderator:
Depends on your activity, there was a change on the case design some weeks ago. There are only very few renders of that.
I wasn't informed about these changes via e-mail, so if you were not active on the forum the past weeks, here they are:

pandoralid2.png

01qn6.jpg

"But the pandora will stay black", here some photoshop by ste_167:

pandwo2.jpg

The only thing I dont like about the pandora case is the analog switch, which wears out over the year and you might accidently switch it off while doing some important tasks.

The switch won't be used much, thus no chance to wear out. Expect several weeks of standby time ;)

Yigguth said:
what analog switch?
I think he means the power switch.

mechanizeddeath said:
Aside from the upcoming banana yellow edition, featuring scratch-n-sniff plastic, I think everything is set in stone.
Is the stone edition hand knapped?

Oh wow, it does look much better, I think it's a vast improvement. The people that I've showed pictures of it to said that was their main concern was it was just a brick, not much style to it. This makes it a little more acceptable to the general public.

As far as the on/off switch wearing out I agree with mali, mine is staying on 90% of the time or so I hope.

Are their any updated renders of it open since it got a bigger screen? That was another problem some people I've showed it to, they said too much plastic and not enough screen. But I think it was just the brick shape, because I pointed out how tiny the screen of the DS is compared to the lid and they acknowledged that.

second exodous said:
Are their any updated renders of it open since it got a bigger screen?
We're getting a bigger screen? Not heard that news.

Hopefully renders will be redundant soon and we'll be looking at photos of real pandoras!

Mr Loon said:
second exodous said:
Are their any updated renders of it open since it got a bigger screen?
We're getting a bigger screen? Not heard that news.No. I don't know where that rumor came from, but it still has the same 4.3" display it always had.

second exodous said:
Are their any updated renders of it open since it got a bigger screen? That was another problem some people I've showed it to, they said too much plastic and not enough screen. But I think it was just the brick shape, because I pointed out how tiny the screen of the DS is compared to the lid and they acknowledged that.
The other thing to remember is that even though the screen doesn't fill the entire lid, it's by no means small. Per openpandora.org:

800x480 4.3" 16.7 million colours touchscreen LCD

4.3" is plenty big. By comparison, the iPhone's screen is only 3.5" and each screen on the DS is only 3 inches.

EDIT: Left out the PSP. Its screen is 4.3 inches, but sports a much lower resolution than that of the Pandora.

eksasol said:
The only thing I dont like about the pandora case is the analog switch, which wears out over the year and you might accidently switch it off while doing some important tasks.
I'm almost positive that the power switch is a digital switch. The analog part is the volume dial.

Oh, I thought that the screen from the Archos was bigger than the first one that was going to be used. This was wayyyyyy back when but all the renders since then have just been of the case.

Am I wrong on this?

second exodous said:
Oh, I thought that the screen from the Archos was bigger than the first one that was going to be used. This was wayyyyyy back when but all the renders since then have just been of the case.

Am I wrong on this?

There may be confusion here. The Archos 605 has the same 4.3" screen as the Pandora, but the Archos 5 (which is discussed here more, because is OMAP3530 based) has a 4.8" screen. (which, by the way, I want to mod into my Pandora)

Back