Would it be possible to lock the pandora's buttons?

rainking720

Still Fresh
I was just curious whether or not it would be possible to lock the Pandora's input out until you hit a certain combination of keys. I'm curious because I want to know if I could put it in a state where i could do something like play on a video and hand it to my toddler to watch and not have to worry about them hitting any keys that would mess something up. Additionally if you could lock the power button so they couldn't' turn it off as well that would be swell.

Whilst I'm pretty sure that this is planned (the power switch has a position that's reserved for a "Hold" mode, but it hasn't been implemented yet), to be honest, I'm not sure that it would be advisable to hand a device like the Pandora or similar to a toddler for reasons other than random button-pressing - for example, in a clamshell device, a drop could nerf the hinge, and so on.

The power button slides to the left to engage "lock" mode, which just now occurs to me is not actually active yet. Probably just an oversight and will be properly implemented eventually. Once that's done, it'd be pretty easy to password protect that lock as well, if you were so inclined.

Once the Pandora is on, flipping the power switch again doesn't actually turn it off: it actually runs a command that tells the Pandora what to do. If you wanted it to not shut down when locked, that's a pretty easy thing to fix as well, just as soon as lock mode is functioning properly.

Simple answer: yes it's possible. If you've already got your Pandora and want this asap, I can see about hacking something together for you, otherwise wait a little bit and it should be properly added to the firmware "soon".

edit: :ph34r:

Last edited by a moderator:
This one guy here gave his DS to his kid, and found him pouring sand on it. (Or maybe it was on Nintendo Life? I forget.)

Yeah, don't even let your kid see your Pandora.

Simple answer: yes it's possible. If you've already got your Pandora and want this asap, I can see about hacking

Good deal. I am supposed to get my Pandora in the mail sometime this week but I can wait, no rush on this. I appreciate the offer though.

...hand it to my toddler to watch and not have to worry about them hitting any keys that would mess something up...
Before you know it, your kid is going to recompile the Linux kernel and develop some games for the Pandora...

Back