Will The Pandora's Screen Be Compatible With Lightguns?

jakshep2

Website
Visit site
.... or maybe I'm pushing my luck. perhaps if it were compatible, would the emulators be made to work with them? ooh, and another Idea - the devs could make a sensor bar that sticks onto the top of the pandora's screen and a mini lightgun. coooooollll............

Most old school lightguns only work on CRTs. The pandora uses a LCD screen.

The only lightgun that works with LCD/Plasma/etc... I know of is the EMS Topgun. But the sensor bars that you place on the sides of the TV are about 1.5 feet long, and would just be retarded on the pandora.

PSyMastR said:

The only lightgun that works with LCD/Plasma/etc... I know of is the EMS Topgun. But the sensor bars that you place on the sides of the TV are about 1.5 feet long, and would just be retarded on the pandora.
the how come my ps1/2 lightgun comes with a USB port attached to it aswell? :huh:

Last edited by a moderator:
jakshep2 said:
the how come my ps1/2 lightgun comes with a USB port attached to it aswell?
So you can use it with a PC? You know, long/shortneck CRT monitors are just that... CRT screens.
B!

jakshep2 said:
PSyMastR said:

the how come my ps1/2 lightgun comes with a USB port attached to it aswell? :huh:

Have you tried it with a LCD monitor?
PS1/PS2 lightguns probably work perfect with a CRT monitor.

PSyMastR said:
Have you tried it with a LCD monitor?
PS1/PS2 lightguns probably work perfect with a CRT monitor.
[edit] Corrected away because the comment was slightly wrong, based off of OLD, OLD, OLD info... [/edit]

Some light guns work off of scanlines.
Some light guns work off of one dropped frame and timing when the light pulse is detected.
At least one design uses an IR reference on the monitor and an IR imaging sensor (Wii...).

The first won't work with an LCD display because the scanlines don't exist on an LCD.
The second may/may not work, depending on the method they use for scanning through the screen position.
The IR reference on the monitor will work every time on all designs of displays. I suspect you could cobble up something with the Wiimote docked into a gun handle for a light gun there.

In any case, unless you're doing it to a TV/HDTV/Computer monitor, it's kind of hinky to be using a light gun on a handheld anyhow. ;)

Hessiess said:
wouldn't it be posable to emulate light guns using the touch-screen
Heh... Kind of my take- doesn't give you the same feel as using a gun, but... If you're going to a bigger screen, this sort of thing might be able to be cobbled on to the Pandora; but one has to ask whether it's practical or another one of those "because we can" things. I'm certainly not going to tell someone "no" on what'd be an interesting, if not mostly questionable hardware add-on for the machine- but in the same breath, we probably ought to wait a bit for the first 3000 to come available for doing those sorts of larks, hm?

Svartalf said:
how would you comfortably use the gun on something as small as the Pandora screen?
Simple. There would be a lightgun version of this:
minixlz4.jpg

In all seriousness though, if the Pandora is connected to a CRT TV via the TV-out, will a USB lightgun work? I love those old arcade shooters.

BigTruck said:
In all seriousness though, if the Pandora is connected to a CRT TV via the TV-out, will a USB lightgun work? I love those old arcade shooters.
I hope so. I've got a nice big flat screen CRT TV with video in on the front that would be perfect for something like this and a Namco light gun for the Playstation ready to be modded :D

BigTruck said:
Simple. There would be a lightgun version of this:
Thanks for making my day- seeing your response was definitely a ROFLMAO! moment...

As long as the software understands the concept of the lightgun's operation, I would think it might. Still not so practical, but I can see it being legit. Sort of the, if you're doing that, why not do a HTPC instead, type thing... It's a "Because We Can" type of thing. :D

Some older lightgun games made the screen black and flashed the targets sequentually white, this is compatible with any screen as long as it's fast enough.
Another technique is to make half the screen white and the other half black, that step is then repeated on the part of the screen where the gun is pointing as many times as is needed to get a good enough resolution.

In my opinion a lightgun on a small screen as the pandora's is just ridiculous.

jakshep2 said:
.... or maybe I'm pushing my luck. perhaps if it were compatible, would the emulators be made to work with them? ooh, and another Idea - the devs could make a sensor bar that sticks onto the top of the pandora's screen and a mini lightgun. coooooollll............
A sensor bar on top of the Pandora and mini light guns? MegaLOL

Zarneth said:
Sensor bar on the wii is just two Infra red lights right? So you could easily mod two of those in if you were crazy enough to want it. :lol:
Now you got me thinking... aren't the sensor bars just simple IR diode-doo-dad-whatevers that constantly emit a single signal (say that three times fast ;) )?

Back