Pandora's screen and TV-out differences

cubelindo

Still Fresh
I'm not sure if this goes in "General Talk"

The question is, one of the emulator I really craved to have in the Pandora is Stella, and I was very disappointed with the graphic performance in some of the games (something quite sad when you are talking about an Atari2600 emulator). Most of the games like Adventure are playable well emulated, but others with "fast" sprites are not. One example is Drangonfire, in the first screen only half of the fireball is visible, and in the dragon screen the fireballs are almost invisible. Dolphin is another example, moving the dolphin causes a weird black outline to appear. I might be a bit exagerated, but Dragonfire was THE game I wanted to play. I tried both Stella and Stella remix.

To my surprise, I was playing with the TV-out cable and... Dragonfire plays perfectly well in the TV!. Looks like crap in the Pandora's screen ... perfect in the TV!. No black outline in dolphin, shots clearly visible in Space Invaders, ...

The only explanation I can find for this is that the downscaling from 800x480 to s-video somehow in this case improves the image.

By the way, is there any explanation somewhere about the different TV out options? Some emulators do not display on the TV, some do.

The pandora's screen has issues with the red as far as I can tell (ghost trails of mario, in any mario game, etc.)

Also, Dragonfire is the shit! (I played it on my coco 2 all the time back in the day ;) )

Screen quality seems to vary a little bit from Pandora to Pandora.. I haven't really noticed much ghosting at all on my First Batch Pandora, but notice it slightly on my Rebirth.

If you are running SuperZaxxon 1.52 there is PSP-style trick to fight ghosting by adjusting black level:

Code:
sudo /usr/pandora/scripts/op_gamma.sh -b 32 1.0

This will make colors look "washed out" but ghosting will be reduced. You can try different numbers than 32, 0 is default.

Last edited by a moderator:
And

sudo /usr/pandora/scripts/op_gamma.sh -b 0 1.0

will return the settings to the default ones?

The PSP has a ghosting problem? I never noticed it ...

If you are running SuperZaxxon 1.52 there is PSP-style trick to fight ghosting by adjusting black level:

Code:
sudo /usr/pandora/scripts/op_gamma.sh -b 32 1.0

This will make colors look "washed out" but ghosting will be reduced. You can try different numbers than 32, 0 is default.

Back