Do You Think The Tv Out Will Work Out?

sm1988

Still Fresh
I was just thinking about my past experiences with devices and their sub par tv out I was just hoping that pandora's ui whatever that may be will get along with a tv screen. I was thinking about resolution issues, vsync,and black bars oooooo I hate black bars :angry:

sm1988 said:
I was just thinking about my past experiences with devices and their sub par tv out I was just hoping that pandora's ui whatever that may be will get along with a tv screen. I was thinking about resolution issues, vsync,and black bars oooooo I hate black bars :angry:
Well, the Pandora is a wide-screen native device, so I would assume you would need to do something about that.

Likely the UI will be fine, ports etc sometimes come from the PC world, where the monitor doesn't have overscan, most (if not all) TV's have overscan as a "feature", not much you can do about that if you are emulating a system and the HUD is too far off-screen on your particular TV. You can shrink and scale the image, but that looks very bad.

My TV is adjusted for overscan in the service menu, so I am able to set my overscan off, to the point of seeing the "invisible" grey border on some Console systems that I play on my TV with. I like the overscan off because then I miss less of my TV shows, some censors systems must have serious overscan issues ;), as I have seen some nipples on broadcast TV, and in the USA that is a no no.

Basically I will say that I am sure the UI will include a mode for 4:3 and 16:9 TV's, and we don't have crazy developers making the UI (well, maybe good crazy :) )

Last edited by a moderator:
As the TV Out doesn't have anything to do with the internal screen, it's up to the coder what he wants to do.
He can send a 4:3 res picture (i.e. Amiga Emulation screen) to the TV Out and keep an info screen (Frameskips, etc.) on the internal screen.

EvilDragon said:
As the TV Out doesn't have anything to do with the internal screen, it's up to the coder what he wants to do.
He can send a 4:3 res picture (i.e. Amiga Emulation screen) to the TV Out and keep an info screen (Frameskips, etc.) on the internal screen.
Are you saying that apps will only output to the TV screen if the apps are specifically programmed to use it?! :S

Will it not deafult to displaying what is currently on the Pandora screen?

Pleng said:
EvilDragon said:

I'm guessing you could get it to do that by writing a program to run in the background and scale then forward the normal framebuffer to wherever the TV-out data has to be, whether or not it'll default to the same screen.

The process then for sending a different image would be to tell that program to halt, do your stuff, and then start it again afterwards. It's certainly conceivable :).

Tobriand said:
Pleng said:
EvilDragon said:

I'm guessing you could get it to do that by writing a program to run in the background and scale then forward the normal framebuffer to wherever the TV-out data has to be, whether or not it'll default to the same screen.

I would hope that function would be built into the OS. Would it be very difficult to have the OS automatically copy over the video data from the internal display buffer to the TV-out buffer unless a program speciffically told it not to? It need not be overly complex, as any program specifically designed to use the TV-out (media players, etc) would override it and have provisions for more display scaling options.

Back