TV Out Resolution

Austin25

I'm curious about this. After reading it, the answer was somewhat ambiguous, and it was the only resource I could find. In the videos of ED using the Pandora on the TV, the both screens are mirrored. Would it be possible to change configuration: shut off the Pandora screen, make the TV resolution higher, etc?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm curious about this. After reading it, the answer was somewhat ambiguous, and it was the only resource I could find. In the videos of ED using the Pandora on the TV, the both screens are mirrored. Would it be possible to change configuration: shut off the Pandora screen, make the TV resolution higher, etc?

I can not answer the TV resolution question, BUT, given that the Pandora runs Linux, It could be possible for someone to write a script to turn off the Pandora screen when you wish, since, given by the thread you posted, it is ran from software.

The TV Out is a full secondary graphics output, so it can run independent from anything on the LCD (at the moment we only clone it though).

So yes, you can change the resolution - but as it's an S-Video Output, you can't go higher than PAL / NTSC.

So, we could have a game running on TV out, whilst on the Pandora have the desktop showing?

Based on what Evil Dragon said: yes but not yet.

Exactly. Though you COULD do it yet, as this is something you can setup using the config files of your X-Server.

There's no additional coding needed, AFAIK :)

Based on what Evil Dragon said: yes but not yet.

Exactly. Though you COULD do it yet, as this is something you can setup using the config files of your X-Server.

No coding, unless you were to do a gui on it.

If I understand correctly, then there is no chance for some tweaking or hack to get 800 × 600 resolutin (even blurry) trough TV-out. So the best in which we could hope is PAL 720 × 576.

Actually, I don't really care, my TV is rubbish anyway. :)

what would be cool would be an API that could be included in a game so the end user can simply output the game to the TV out cable and still have access to the desktop on the pandora :)

I honestly don't have anything with S-Vid...
If you have a TV with composite inputs, you can simply use something like this, if that helps.

Also, if you're in a territory that uses RGB SCART, some SCART sockets can accept S-Video via an adapter such as this one.
You are just showing adaptors,which cables can be used connect pandora to tv.

I already have one of them scart composite inputs adaptor but need to know what type of cable i will need for pandora as you know doesn't have any s-video or composite video output sockets.

You are just showing adaptors,which cables can be used connect pandora to tv.
Yes, indeed I was - that's because I was responding to someone who mentioned not having the correct inputs on their television, who would thus need adapters to do so. ;)

Anyway, it looks like Alerino beat me to the rest of your question. :p

Pandora outputs tv signals from EXT port. Standard official cable would have RCA in the other end. There are two threads you should check, EXT connectors and Custom Tv Out Cable. Cables are already being made by fellow forum members like Peca.

edit: saw your comment on my youtube video. I'm answering here for better exposure. Cannot post links in youtube
Your the same guy i respond on you tube many times.

So the cable isn't released yet,is that what you are saying,just adaptors are released there are normal ones.

Why isn't openpandora releasing official tv out cables,just like gph did with gp2x caanoo.

Why isn't openpandora releasing official tv out cables,just like gph did with gp2x caanoo.

I can think of some possible reasons

1. They are too busy to handle this right now.

2. They are still negotiating with possible companies that could produce such cables (prices, minimum quantities etc).

3. OPT is gathering funds to start production.

4. They are waiting for Ext connectors to produce those cables.

IIRC problem is amount of cables which have to build in one batch. Initially it was stated as a few thousands (about 2 I guess), then (after earthquake propheted by ED) amount in one batch was changed to 10 thousands. 10 thousand of TV out cables - aside amount itself - cost too much. So, negotiation continues.

'They have about 13'000 connectors sitting in a warehouse, I don't think that's the problem.

Once somebody stated they have the connectors, then there was MWeston telling they gonna receive connectors in July. It could be just a misunderstanding, but personally I won't make any assumptions unless somebody from OPT clears that out. Plus remember what little volcano can do...

Back