Movie Player

If there's hardware decoding support in the OMAP3 I think they could pull off h.264 at a decent resolution. But maybe not...

I personally think VLC would work well if you maximized it. I agree mplayer is probably a better choice if you're embedding it with a custom frontend and you want to hide most of the controls from the user but otherwise I'd prefer VLC be the standard option. Granted I'm just going to install whatever I would prefer to use, but that's just my 2 cents for the default config.

Apparently codec support in Linux video applications has matured substantially since I last used it... thanks for clearing that up. The most important thing for the end user though is that it's as easy as possible to install the latest codec lib.

Stealth Bagel said:
The most important thing for the end user though is that it's as easy as possible to install the latest codec lib.
It's statically linked... it's part of the program.

The user doesn't have to install anything but mplayer >_>

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't run Linux. I don't use Mplayer. So stop being so damn condescending-- most people would have no idea of such a thing. ">_>".

Then all they need to worry about is keeping mplayer itself up to date. But such was not the case last time I used it.... you had to manually install your own codecs, most of which (like the one for decoding DVD MPEG2) were "illegal" to use so no one would distribute them on any package distro server. It was a colossal pain in the ass.

Stealth Bagel said:
I don't run Linux. I don't use Mplayer. So stop being so damn condescending-- most people would have no idea of such a thing. ">_>".
Dude, I spelled it out for you multiple times, I'm not being condescending, I'm just getting frustrated with you constantly not reading and insisting on something inaccurate over and over again like you did when you kept saying picodrive had performance problems -_-

And look at your tone, guy who keeps telling Exophase to calm down ;P

Stealth Bagel said:
you had to manually install your own codecs, most of which (like the one for decoding DVD MPEG2) were "illegal" to use so no one would distribute them on any package distro server. It was a colossal pain in the ass.
When was this, cause I started using linux summer 2006 and it was there then already with codecs and all...

most distros puts illegal libdvdcss into their software library. Actually, the only one I know that doesn't is Debian, but you just need to add the videolan repository to your /etc/apt/sources.list to get it installed.

Clad said:
most distros puts illegal libdvdcss into their software library. Actually, the only one I know that doesn't is Debian, but you just need to add the videolan repository to your /etc/apt/sources.list to get it installed.
Are you sure? I know Ubuntu doesn't (debian based I know) but surely putting illegal code into a distro just to play dvd's would be pretty stupid..

Clad said:
According to Wikipedia:

"libdvdcss is not to be confused with DeCSS. While DeCSS uses a cracked DVD player key to perform authentication, libdvdcss uses a generated list of possible player keys. If none of them work (for instance, when the DVD drive enforces region coding) a brute force algorithm is tried so the region code of a DVD is ignored. Unlike DeCSS, libdvdcss has never been fought over in a courtroom, in part because Section 1201(f) of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act authorizes such circumvention for purposes of software interoperability."

It's a grey area that I don't think could be easily considered illegal under a court determines it.

If MPlayer or VLC is not fast enough to play h264 720p videos, we should just ask CorePlayer guys to just add support for this machine, although I wouldn't want to pay for it again, since you got to pay for the player for different type of platform you buy it for. Anyways, it's an option, and they have the best and fastest decoders available.

Wouldn't using the ARM Cortex for codec support be kinda daft on the Pandora when there are much better options available?

mplayer pwns. End of story. ;)

I was kidding really. mplayer has a terrible front-end, but it was really designed to be used in the command-line anyway. To know the power of mplayer, one only needs to look at its man page. :)

It also doesn't need X to do any movie playback. Another point for mplayer!

So, it really just comes down to what you need it for. VLC is more user-friendly. mplayer is more flexible. AFAICT.

(P.S. I've never tried VLC before. And never needed to. Another point for mplayer. ;) )

Back