movie apps

i am looking for an app to watch movies on the pandora so far i have tried pan player which did not work good and kodi which was pretty good but the audio did not sync with the video on occasion does anyone know of an app that is really good for watching movies where the video and audio sync correctly and the video does not freeze

thanks

The unfortunate thing with the Pandora, is that it doesn't have a hardware decoder that can handle H264/H265 encoded videos well and that seems to be what everyone is encoding videos with these days. If the videos are encoded with dvix or xvid it decodes it pretty well even at 1080p. For my 36" CRT setup with the Pandora I use Kodi and stream the video using Universal Media Server to transcode those kinds of videos to something more manageable. 

EDIT:
For a stand alone player I use smplayer2, it's lighter weight than kodi and you may get a 720p or lower h264 video working okay with a ton of overclocking.

Youtube videos I like to use The Tube as browser based solutions are not fast at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
if anyone has any further suggestions please let me know because i still have the same issues with picture freezing and audio skipping 
If it's what I suspect, It's a clear sign the video you are playing is too demanding. 

What resolution are these videos, what codec was is encoded to?

Like I said in my previous post, I use a PC and universal media server to transcode and stream these demanding videos for playback on the Pandora. Many use programs like Handbrake to convert the actual video files to something the Pandora can handle.

EDIT: Other question is what CPU speed are you running the Pandora?

if anyone knows about pan player beta i would like to try that i had it on my old pandora and it always worked great  i tried a link to the beta that i found but it would not launch on the pandora 

so far i tried kodi, pan player (  1, 2 and zoom) smplayer2  and they all had freezing and audio issues 

if anyone knows how to get pan player beta to launch let me know or another alternative

thanks

H.264 can be very demanding even at that low resolution on the Pandora depending on how it was encoded.

edit: Have you tried overclocking the Pandora at all?

Back