Watching Moves Via Tv Out :d

pain-giver

Still Fresh
Pandoras coming in November, and I actually cannot wait for it :D I was wondering about the media capabilities of it though, Im a very avid wrestling fan, but all I have is a standard DVD player which means I cant really fit all that much onto one disc, so I was wondering, can the Pandora handle DivX movie files, and would it be suitable to watch these on a TV?

Sorry if this has been asked :)

With S-Video out, it should be decent quality for watching movies, even on an HDTV.

Quick follow up though, I'm assuming the S-Video out will put black bars at the top and bottom of the screen to maintain the aspect ratio?

On wikipedia, it says S-Video doesn't carry sound. How will sound work then?

Next to your s-video socket on your tv will be two phono sockets (red and white), these are for the left and right speakers. The phono plugs will be on the pandora's tv-cable.

mazza558 said:
On wikipedia, it says S-Video doesn't carry sound. How will sound work then?
The cable will have a standard RCA audio-out to be connected along with either the S-video or the composite video.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think it's the actual tv-out cable, but that's what it's going to look like

Trevor Bradley said:
With S-Video out, it should be decent quality for watching movies, even on an HDTV.

Quick follow up though, I'm assuming the S-Video out will put black bars at the top and bottom of the screen to maintain the aspect ratio?
I kind of worry about this one a little myself. S-Video has a bad habbit of stretching to fit the entire TV screen. If it were 4:3 ratio, you could just adjust the TV to 4:3 and you'd be fine but the odd 5:3 fits in between the 16:9 and 4:3 aspect ratios. Unless Pandora is equipped to send the signal altered with the black bars, it'll probably stretch or squish the output. I hope this isn't the case.

Everyone here seems to think that TV out = 800x480 => Scaler => TV. WRONG.
That is only one of the possible ways you can output signal to the TV. The s-video and LCD outputs are independent of eachother- you can have one image on one screen, and another on the other. So, you can have NTSC resolution and framerate, as well as 800x480 running simultaneously. If X supports multi monitor on this puppy, it;ll just be drag n' drop the window to the other screen. You could also use a button combination and then dynamically switch outputs + resolution to the other display.

AireTamStorm said:
That is only one of the possible ways you can output signal to the TV. The s-video and LCD outputs are independent of eachother- you can have one image on one screen, and another on the other. So, you can have NTSC resolution and framerate, as well as 800x480 running simultaneously. If X supports multi monitor on this puppy, it;ll just be drag n' drop the window to the other screen. You could also use a button combination and then dynamically switch outputs + resolution to the other display.
Damn, that's impressive. I never guessed it would have that capability.
I guess I'll be ordering that video cable now. I just assumed the video would suck as an afterthought.

j.pickens said:
AireTamStorm said:
Damn, that's impressive. I never guessed it would have that capability.
I guess I'll be ordering that video cable now. I just assumed the video would suck as an afterthought.

Because of course Ti makes Sh*t. [/sarcasm] (FYI the Ti chip is responsible for the S-Video, it is integrated.)

Sorry to bump this, but I thought it would be better then creating a totally seperate topic :)
Ive recently got into anime, but I hte watching things like movies on my computer screen :/
The downloaded format for them is usually .mkv
So does anyone know what movie formats the pandora will be able to play? :)
And sorry for going off-topic
But if not, is it easy enough to re-encode formats such as these?
My PC is only 1GHZ though ;p
Thank you for your time :)

Forthewin. said:
Sorry to bump this, but I thought it would be better then creating a totally seperate topic :)
Ive recently got into anime, but I hte watching things like movies on my computer screen :/
The downloaded format for them is usually .mkv
So does anyone know what movie formats the pandora will be able to play? :)
And sorry for going off-topic
But if not, is it easy enough to re-encode formats such as these?
My PC is only 1GHZ though ;p
Thank you for your time :)

MKV's a reasonably widespread format now days. Should very likely have support, but you can probably also find programs that will re-encode it. It'll just take twice as long because of your cpu.

Back