How Will You Customize Pandora's Os?

quadomatic

DingooWiki Admin
Website
www.opendingoo.com
After watching an old video of the Pandora being used by MWeston, I realized that Pandora's OS could be prettier.

I might choose to install e17, or maybe openbox and make it pretty (no reason I can't compile these packages right?)

Conky might be nice as well.

Since ioquake3 is working, I wonder if it'll be possible to get Urban Terror on there.

Any idea if eduke32 can be compiled for ARM? It would be cool to run Duke Nukem 3D with the High Resolution Pack...maybe even the polymer rendering (unlikely?)?

I would like to use conky. I set up a news ticker on my home computer. It really helps me stay in the loop. However, I'm having a problem that I can only pull one item per feed. I think there is a newline that doesn't get filtered out by the scroll element.

quadomatic said:
Since ioquake3 is working, I wonder if it'll be possible to get Urban Terror on there.

IIRC no, i dk where they said it.

Last edited by a moderator:
E17 and others work pretty well. Heck, you could dpkg install some right from Angstrom :) wefound some clumsyness but I forget what.

I'm going to strip out everything I won't use much,or maybe just boot always from SD so I can have huge firmware and install gcc in there :) (btw, works fine ;)

I'll drfinately build an ultra small firmware that boots quick from true off, but I bet dozens of people will do that. Queue the shortest boot to quake3 competion...

Jeffphone

I probably won't do much in the way of customisation, myself. Everything I want is already there. :p I would like to apply my own desktop background and possibly some icons, but that's about it. That and putting in an icon to link to the webmail services I use, if I can (I'm not aware of any reason why I can't - it's just a matter of setting up something that starts the browser and sends it to the right place, right?). :p

skeezix said:
E17 and others work pretty well. Heck, you could dpkg install some right from Angstrom :) wefound some clumsyness but I forget what.

I'm going to strip out everything I won't use much,or maybe just boot always from SD so I can have huge firmware and install gcc in there :) (btw, works fine ;)

I'll drfinately build an ultra small firmware that boots quick from true off, but I bet dozens of people will do that. Queue the shortest boot to quake3 competion...

Jeffphone

Cool, maybe I'll look at what angstrom packages are available. Also, thanks for noting that you can boot from SD. I was curious about that, since 512 MB of internal flash probably isn't enough for a whole lot of applications.

You mention gcc...I feel like it might be faster to compile applications on a regular computer with a dual or quad core processor. Is there any way to set up a compiler so I could compile for ARM and Pandora's kernel on my laptop running Ubuntu 10.04?

MIDI Drivers plug 'n play, Powermate driver plug 'n play, and a few PND's that autolaunch sequencer+drumsynth+synth ..

Sure, how so you think you build the firmware?

There should be lots of threads, it is really very easy and quick to set up. Same headers (/usr/include in your existing distro), build an arm gcc (or use prevuilt like codesourcery), and link against arm .so's ... Build your own or use angstrom repo, and I've put up a snapshot of libs from an old firmware so folks know what's included. Piece of cake

all development we do is off sd boots which is why unit is unbrickable. Kill your NAND, just boot off sd and reflash. You can keep stock firmware and also boot from sd for a fatter distro, etc.

I'm on phone ao typing sucks, not going to write up much :)

jeffPhone

I will most probably boot into MiniMenu most, If not all the time.

Mostly because it`s great looking (in a minimalist way). Fast, Because
it cut`s out most of the shit, So you can get to where you want (your
programs) much quicker. Has a retro look about it. Looks much easier
to navigate with what ever controls you choose, i.e. Nubs, Keyboard,
Touch screen, Mouse etc. And the main reason, Because skeezix made
it. :D

Trooper

I'm looking forward to trying the Gentoo build just to see what it's like. I doubt I'll have any use for it over and above anything Angstrom can do but that won't stop me trying.

And anything eye-candy related and I'm there, anything like compiz so I hope there's stuff like that that I can try on the Pandora at some point.

I'm going to install Arch ARM and KDE 4 with the Plasma Netbook UI. Just to give myself as large a pain in the ass as is humanly possible. ;)

But srsly, if I can get KDE working on the Pandora, it'll be awesome.

dflemstr said:
I'm going to install Arch ARM and KDE 4 with the Plasma Netbook UI. Just to give myself as large a pain in the ass as is humanly possible. ;)

Ouch!, I`m going to under-clock the processor to around 5 Mhz, If possible, Never write to the nand (unless really necessary),
Turn the screen brightness down to the bare usable minimum, Only use the nubs, Keyboard and touch screen when it`s really needed,
And only charge the battery when, And only when it really needs it.

I want my Pandora to last for ever. :D

Trooper

dflemstr said:

Woah, plasma netbook ui actually looks really cool! I'm just not sure how well suited KDE would be, since both KDE and GNOME are resource hogs relative to e17, fluxbox, openbox and xfce.

trooper said:
And only charge the battery when, And only when it really needs it.

I want my Pandora to last for ever. :D
You do know that by depleting a Li⁺ battery, you actually actively make it not last forever, right?

I'll try get GeeXboX running on it.

It's X86 at this point. But they are having it ported to IGEP-V2 (beagleboard clone).
I'm sure it can head to Pandora from there!

Pfft All you need is emacs withsawfiah ported to it. Emacs as a window manager, editor, calendar, email client and browser. At 5hz and only placing your pandora on a doily.

I really wan to see panorama!

Davec should have a skin for minimenu soon too; it's minimal, but you could specify the grid to be various widhs and heights and positions etc so you could skin it up pretty well.

I should rewrite it when I have time, to make it elegant, but maybe that's what other menus are for..

But it is tempting to bud a file browser mode in.. Isnot intended it, but people may want to launch pnds from random places, or run non-pnd apps, and itdbe easy... The devil of bloat is an easy path to follow :)

jeffPhone

I only want to be able to change my background and icons easily. :lol: (No big deal if I can't, though - it's just one of those nice-to-haves, to me. :))

skeezix said:
Pfft All you need is emacs withsawfiah ported to it. Emacs as a window manager, editor, calendar, email client and browser. At 5hz and only placing your pandora on a doily.
"Emacs is a great OS. If it had a text editor it'd be perfect"
-- paraphrased from something I heard a long, long time ago :D

WizardStan said:
skeezix said:
"Emacs is a great OS. If it had a text editor it'd be perfect"
-- paraphrased from something I heard a long, long time ago :D
somebody should port nano or Kate to emacs

Back