Open-source Games That You Like?


Kaniu

Still Fresh
Joined
Nov 21, 2008
Messages
31
wesbrown18 said:
Please don't take this version as authoritative or any such thing. It was a quick hack job to get it to compile, and display SDL on my Beagle Board's fbdev. :)
Yes, someone please fix the problems which caused the asserts to fail instead of removing the asserts. I don't know the source code of this game at all, but it's usually better in the long run to fix the problems than remove the warnings...

Kaniu
 
Last edited by a moderator:

yosh64

Member
Joined
May 20, 2008
Messages
252
Age
37
Location
Australia
Website
yosh64.redirectme.net
hey

As far as I know Metroid2Remake uses the GameMaker kit, which is a commercial software package for making games with minimal programming or something, so I don't think ya will see this on Linux, nor the Pandora.

I might check up on this though, I remember I looked into this once before. Originally I thought it was a hack of the ROM, but I found out it wasn't.

edit
Yep, see http://metroid2remake.blogspot.com/2008/03/faqs.html.

QUOTE

- Did you do ALL the programming by yourself?
No, I started with Martin Piecyk´s platform engine, and customized it to add all the Metroid abilities.


This platform engine uses GameMaker.

QUOTE

- Why don´t you code in C#? It´s better/more flexible/portable.
I´m not a programmer. I learned Game Maker the hard way: making unfinished games and looking at tutorials and examples. My code isn´t optimal, but I manage to get things done.



Also...

QUOTE

- Are you gonna release the source code?
No.



Anyhows sorry to burst anyones bubbles, on another note hopefully I will make my own Metroid sorta game for the Pandora some day :), at least I hope to.

edit
Unless GameMaker is ported to Linux, and/or can write Linux ELF binaries.

cyas
 

nightwheel

Member
Joined
Mar 20, 2008
Messages
262
Age
30
Location
Kentucky - We are KFC!
Website
www.nightwheel.wordpress.com
How about some Chex Quest 3: http://chexquest.org/index.php?topic=1162.0

This is a official release Chex Quest 3. Chex Quest 3 was finely finished by a few of the devs who worked on the other 2 games years ago.

For those who what to play Chex Quest 1 & 2. Chex Quest 1 & 2 are also already included with Chex Quest 3.

Now Chex Quest 3 come prepackaged with ZDoom. Which you can get the source for ZDoom from ZDoom's site: http://zdoom.org/Download .

Screenshots:
CQ3menu.jpg

Screenshot_Chex_20081216_020939.png

Screenshot_Chex_20081216_021156.png

Screenshot_Chex_20081216_021242.png


(Fun Fact: The Doom Rick Roller will work in Chex Quest 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDUBa5GKLh8 . PM me and I'll tell you how to get the Rick Roller to work in Chex Quest 3 if you want to know how.)
 
Last edited by a moderator:

MarkoeZ

arr matey?
Joined
May 21, 2008
Messages
1,183
Age
41
Website
projectinfinity.org.uk
Nightwheel said:
I think GLtron would be cool to have on the Pandora.

It's a fun Light Cycle game based on the games that were based on TRON. It's very fun to play. It doesn't have any online play yet. But it's on the guys To Do list.




Nice one, quite addictive :) don't know if it's possible but would be nice.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

CandidStan

Member
Joined
May 13, 2008
Messages
410
MarkoeZ said:
Nightwheel said:
I think GLtron would be cool to have on the Pandora.

It's a fun Light Cycle game based on the games that were based on TRON. It's very fun to play. It doesn't have any online play yet. But it's on the guys To Do list.




Nice one, quite addictive :) don't know if it's possible but would be nice.


It's too bad the guy who did Game Grid Champions: Light Cycles didn't open it up. It is still an unfinished demo. However how port-able it would be I don't know since he programmed it in DarkBASIC.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Tom`

Very Active Member
Joined
Apr 22, 2008
Messages
1,168
CandidStan said:
MarkoeZ said:
Nightwheel said:
I think GLtron would be cool to have on the Pandora.

It's a fun Light Cycle game based on the games that were based on TRON. It's very fun to play. It doesn't have any online play yet. But it's on the guys To Do list.




Nice one, quite addictive :) don't know if it's possible but would be nice.


It's too bad the guy who did Game Grid Champions: Light Cycles didn't open it up. It is still an unfinished demo. However how port-able it would be I don't know since he programmed it in DarkBASIC.

http://www.armagetronad.net/
 
Last edited by a moderator:

CandidStan

Member
Joined
May 13, 2008
Messages
410
Tom` said:
CandidStan said:
MarkoeZ said:
Nightwheel said:
I think GLtron would be cool to have on the Pandora.

It's a fun Light Cycle game based on the games that were based on TRON. It's very fun to play. It doesn't have any online play yet. But it's on the guys To Do list.




Nice one, quite addictive :) don't know if it's possible but would be nice.


It's too bad the guy who did Game Grid Champions: Light Cycles didn't open it up. It is still an unfinished demo. However how port-able it would be I don't know since he programmed it in DarkBASIC.

http://www.armagetronad.net/



I've seen that already, GGC: LC was an epic game that needs to be ported if there was source code.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

rick0815

Member
Joined
Oct 14, 2008
Messages
379
Nightwheel said:
The way Chex Quest 3 is configured. It doesn't need a DOOM, DOOM 2, HERETIC, HEXEN, or STRIFE IWAD to run on Zdoom.
OK then, it's in the list. :)
 
Last edited by a moderator:

nightwheel

Member
Joined
Mar 20, 2008
Messages
262
Age
30
Location
Kentucky - We are KFC!
Website
www.nightwheel.wordpress.com
ricki said:
Nightwheel said:
The way Chex Quest 3 is configured. It doesn't need a DOOM, DOOM 2, HERETIC, HEXEN, or STRIFE IWAD to run on Zdoom.
OK then, it's in the list. :)

Ok I think you removed the download link for Chex Quest 3 it's self. And Just added the Zdoom link. I think it would be smart to have both the Link for the game and Zdoom.
May I also say that even though Chex Quest 3 runs on Zdoom. I think the version of zdoom packaged with the game. May have but can't say for sure have a few elements designed specifically to work with Chex Quest Wads. Another thing, the link you used to link to screen screenshots on the first page. Instead of going to the screen shots, goes to my photobucket album. Here I have moved the CQ3 screen shots to their own folder: http://s156.photobucket.com/albums/t29/nig...ex%20Quest%203/

Also, If the Beagle Board has Ogre OpenGL ES support? Has anyone checked to see how well Stunt Playground complies on the Beagle Board. I know it's the closest thing to the Pandora in hardware.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Bramrash

Member
Joined
Jan 3, 2006
Messages
333
Just had a quick go on it, it seems a good concept. The physics still seem a bit weird, very "slidey" if you can imagine what I mean, kinda like they're on ice all the time.

Could be great though with a few updates, its a fun idea.
 

rick0815

Member
Joined
Oct 14, 2008
Messages
379
Nightwheel said:
Ok I think you removed the download link for Chex Quest 3 it's self.
Fixed. Thanks for the hint.

Added Glest and Open Sonic.

I will add links to the sources to the list in the first post as soon as I have a bit of spare time.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Top