Is there going to be any 'Invisablesheilds' made for this?

failedartifact

Still Fresh
Theres a website i came across last year which make special material which is scratch resistant and is only .2mm thick.

http://www.zagg.com/

I thought it great to have them make one for the pandora.

What do you think?

The invisible shield is mostly just like a clear piece of tape. I have a similar product on my PSP, and while it does a nice job by protecting it from regular scratches, it doesn't cover the whole thing, and there are some spots that still get bumped and scratched every now and then. The one I got was also quite a bit of a pain to put on and apply so that there were no air bubbles.

I'm sure you could either buy that stuff and cut out something on your own, or if enough people wanted it, then it wouldn't be too hard for them to add it to their product line.

Personally, I prefer the "snap on crystal cases" that you see for most popular phones and the DS/PSP quite often. While sand and dust can get inside those cases, in general, I find it does a pretty good job of protecting it from the large scratches like keys or paper clips or whatever.

At any rate, the market for these kinds of "accessories" will be purely based on demand. If enough people buy the Pandora, and the producers of crystal cases and "invisible shields" take notice, then we'll see them, otherwise, you might have to improvise a bit and stick with your cloth bags, or that mysterious one you had the option to buy with your pre-order.

-Origin

Yeah, your right about not covering all of it.. i wonder what this case is gunna be like then.

Well acutally, screen only is fine for me!

becuase when people get hold of your DS and like..

'OH THIS IS GOT A PEN? I CAN DRAW ON THE SCREEN?!?'

*scratch scratch scratch..*

I'm probably the only one who thinks this way, but I prefer my devices to look worn and used. That's not to say I throw them onto the ground and step on them, but scratches and scrapes make it feel more "mine" to me. That being said, I still want to protect the screen from looking like my original Game Boy screen did after my younger self dragged it everywhere for years. :lol: Hopefully the clamshell design will be enough for that.

p&|a Sweet our custom icons are back! p&|a

I don't know if Zagg does it, but one of the similar companies allows you to provide custom dimensions for your product.

The material is a lot stronger than tape... it's what they use to coat helicopter blades to protect them.

failedartifact said:
Yeah, your right about not covering all of it.. i wonder what this case is gunna be like then.

the ones i purchased for both my psp and my daughters psp covers the entire screens with a little bit of lap over on the sides (maybe an 1/8" or less but the tops and bottoms of the protectors are flush with the screens), what protectors did you guys use? isn't the pandora's screen about the same size as the psp? if so then perhaps the psp protectors will work on the pandora, but with the pandora's screen being touch, i wonder if they still would work or interfere with the touch sensitivity?

then again, I've got screen protectors on both my ds lite and my daughters, and they work just fine with the touch screens, so i don't see why a protector wouldn't work on the pandora.

I ordered the Zagg shield for the Archos 605 Wifi, since it's the same screen as Pandora. I'll have to see what Pandora's screen is really like in 'real life' before I apply it though, depends how the stylus feels on it. I put an Invisible Shield on my iPod Touch, and it's protective, but kinda bumpy, like an orange, but not quite.

well ive used thee guys on damn near every device i own and never been disapointed

http://www.boxwave.com/

they can get pricey but are reusable

the regular is slick as ice on a nds and no feeling at all .. the antiglare has a small bit of texture but its much less than the Zagg ones ive tried .. aplication can be a pain thou as its based on a 1 sided static charge but its not clearly labeled :>

and ive never had an issue getting a custom sise form the manufacturer as long as your willing to pay for it .. (obviously its going to cost more DUH)

Mmal

I don't see why a protective case couldn't be designed in a similar fashion as the Pandora itself. Given the online services that provide 3D printing and prototyping, it seems like there could be a community design effort, a run off, and a special pre-ordering process. Users would only need to commit at the last stage.

Just an idea.

mechanizeddeath said:
I'm probably the only one who thinks this way, but I prefer my devices to look worn and used. That's not to say I throw them onto the ground and step on them, but scratches and scrapes make it feel more "mine" to me. That being said, I still want to protect the screen from looking like my original Game Boy screen did after my younger self dragged it everywhere for years. :lol: Hopefully the clamshell design will be enough for that.

p&|a Sweet our custom icons are back! p&|a

I've had a DS since launch about 4 years ago, and on the outside, it's really beat up...There are scratches everywhere. It's been dropped, kicked, hit against the wall(not on purpose of course!), and all kinds of things. But on the inside, both screens are perfectly fine! So the clamshell design should be perfect protection. I'd still want some sort of screen cover though, because I'd like to protect it from stylus scratches anyway. I'll prolly just pick up an Archos screen protector tbh.

I have put this film on my iPod, treo 650, iPhone, Macbook Pro and Archos 605 and in all cases I have yet to be disappointed in the results. There is definitely a "feel" to them although I wouldn't say its anything like an orange peel. The one thing that I do recommend that you put a lot of Invisibleshield application spray on so that you can position it perfectly, because once its on...its on for good (or until you wish to peel it off). I'm not sure this answers anything for any of you, but I have really enjoyed the fact that you can always take it off to see the plastic or metal underneath as nice as when you received it.

mmalficia said:
well ive used thee guys on damn near every device i own and never been disapointed

http://www.boxwave.com/

they can get pricey but are reusable

the regular is slick as ice on a nds and no feeling at all .. the antiglare has a small bit of texture but its much less than the Zagg ones ive tried .. aplication can be a pain thou as its based on a 1 sided static charge but its not clearly labeled :>

and ive never had an issue getting a custom sise form the manufacturer as long as your willing to pay for it .. (obviously its going to cost more DUH)

Mmal

2X on www.boxwave.com. I have been using these for about 8 years on several devices (TRGpro, Tapwave Zodiac, Garmin i3600) and they do their job quite nicely.

I put in a request for screen protectors and styli for the Pandora. Whether or not they make them depends on how many people request them. If 100 to 1000 or so of the pre-order people go there and request them, I think they would be inclined to do a short run.

I was just about to post a new topic on invisibleSHIELD, I'm glad I didn't. I didn't know if they were that big outside of Utah or not. I live a few miles away from their main building and if anyone wants I could have my Pandora covered when it gets here and could post the results/dimensions on here so who ever wants to order it can without guessing. I'll even post pics.

I've met a lot of people that use these, most of them went into the store and had them stick it on, so I've only talked to a few people that have applied it themselves. Maybe I could have them put a Pandora section on their home page, that would be cool.

I have, however, never seen it on anything but screens, even friends that have it on apple notebooks don't put it on the body like their vids show. It costs more and it might change the overall appearance. I've never been there myself, but I'm sure they'll have demo stuff and I'll decide if I want it on the whole Pandora or just the screen.

It's true that they claim though, it's nearly impossible to scratch. It is possible to take a needle and poke a hole in it, but the odds of that happening is pretty slim anyway.

second.exodous said:
I was just about to post a new topic on invisibleSHIELD, I'm glad I didn't. I didn't know if they were that big outside of Utah or not. I live a few miles away from their main building and if anyone wants I could have my Pandora covered when it gets here and could post the results/dimensions on here so who ever wants to order it can without guessing. I'll even post pics.
I've been using their products for quite some time and I love them. I'm definitely interested in buying one for mine when I get it. Unfortunately I'm not that conveniently located.

I'm not really the most careful person and sometimes a stylus will wear down from excessive use or grains of things will get onto the screen. I'd love to have the protection on there just in case.

Perhaps if we can get a sizable number of people they'd be willing to just add it as a supported device. Or just list it as supported on a device with the same size screen.

Back