Is This A Stupid Idea

mac-10

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
Hi there

I need to know if the is a stupid idea (knowing me it probably is)

I got an idea for a game. I am a web developer so xml and database I am comfortable with C/C++ on the other hand is some what hard that ASP.

The idea is to create a website where people can create there own fighting fish (or robot or what ever you want to call them). Each fish will have 3 different body parts head, body and tale. There are a number of different heads, bodies and tales to choose from each with different stats. When a user select all the body elements they are then prompted to create there fishes fighter style which combination 10 moves punches, kick and special moves. The stats of the body parts the user has selected will affect the potency of an attack.

Once a week we dump this data into an xml file, giving us a load of fighting fish to fight against. This data file is downloaded from the website to your SD card for the GP2X to read and a fighting fish league is created a fresh every week. Users will be able to login to the website at any time and edit there fishes fighting style but that change will only take affect when the next download is available. That’s the data part covered, now for the game it’s self which is really simple.

Everyone’s fish will have 10 attacks (which you don’t know) and you will have your 10 attacks with your fish. Basically you select your opponent and you take it in turn to attack each other. How ever take the most damage by the end of the round is the looser (we put some random vars to keep thing interesting, weather or something). After each round you will be able to edit your fighting style and fight the rest of the fish in the league. If a league is completed before the next download is available then we could create randomly generated players to fight. I am not sure what XML parsers are out there for use with the GP2X but it would be cool if we could save the results and upload them back to the database and have a league ranking. It would just be fun to know who’s ass you’d kicking. It’s probable not that practical as anyone could edit the xml file and make up there own results.

Let me know what you think.

Mac

PS. sorry if I have wasted your time

That's just the kind of crazy idea that the 2X needs :) I'm 100% in for this!

- Alex

Interesting idea, but you need to clarify more. Are you thinking of having people logged onto the web fighting against each other with the fish they have created? If so then I doubt XML will be the ideal choice. You're probably gonna want to use something like Actionscript or Java, mainly because you need to connect clients together in real time and you need graphics capabilities.

Hi alex thanks

hi fluffy
no I was think of just having the online
accounts to create the fighting fish i.e.
capture the data and create a file the
gp2x can read. the 2x will interpret the
data are replicate all the fish in the online
database in its internal memory. so in
reality there is on client to client interaction.

Mac :)

i didnt read all of that... but from waht i did read, it sounds great! go for it! id love to se a game like this on the 2x! (sry i cant provide any help/ideas tho, (i cant code for beans!)) ;)

mac-10 posted on Dec 8 2006 at 01:34 PM said:

Sounds interesting. However, is there any skill involved? The way you describe it make me think of rock-paper-scissors since the outcome is more or less random. But I'm sure I'm not getting the whole picture.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you describe the fight mechanic in a bit more detail? You get ten attacks, but what is that:
1. bite-tailwhip-crushwithbody-othermoves
2. bite-bite-bite...
9. tailwhip-bite-bite
10. bite-bite-bite

mac-10 posted on Dec 8 2006 at 11:34 PM said:
Hi there

I got an idea for a game. I am a web developer so xml and database I am comfortable with C/C++ on the other hand is some what hard that ASP.

The idea is to create a website where people can create there own fighting fish (or robot or what ever you want to call them). Each fish will have 3 different body parts head, body and tale. There are a number of different heads, bodies and tales to choose from each with different stats. When a user select all the body elements they are then prompted to create there fishes fighter style which combination 10 moves punches, kick and special moves. The stats of the body parts the user has selected will affect the potency of an attack.

Once a week we dump this data into an xml file, giving us a load of fighting fish to fight against. This data file is downloaded from the website to your SD card for the GP2X to read and a fighting fish league is created a fresh every week. Users will be able to login to the website at any time and edit there fishes fighting style but that change will only take affect when the next download is available. That’s the data part covered, now for the game it’s self which is really simple.

Everyone’s fish will have 10 attacks (which you don’t know) and you will have your 10 attacks with your fish. Basically you select your opponent and you take it in turn to attack each other. How ever take the most damage by the end of the round is the looser (we put some random vars to keep thing interesting, weather or something). After each round you will be able to edit your fighting style and fight the rest of the fish in the league. If a league is completed before the next download is available then we could create randomly generated players to fight. I am not sure what XML parsers are out there for use with the GP2X but it would be cool if we could save the results and upload them back to the database and have a league ranking. It would just be fun to know who’s ass you’d kicking. It’s probable not that practical as anyone could edit the xml file and make up there own results.

Let me know what you think.

Mac

PS. sorry if I have wasted your time

Last edited by a moderator:
Using XML does not mean players can cheat:
Every player has a different Seed tag which is randomly generated each time his XML file is created.
The result of the fight between players is based on the two players' seeds added together.

Basically:
srand( Player1Seed + Player2Seed );
Winner = rand()&1;

This way we know the outcome of each battle, therefore players can't cheat.

Is this going to be like rock-paper-scissors or RPG-like (fish gets stronger with more wins)?

Hi there

I suppose it is a bit like rock-paper-scissors :)
but you are playing against someone's preset combos.
like dodgy said but

(Player1) 1. bite-tailwhip-crushwithbody-othermoves (player selected)
(Player2) 1. bite-bite-bite... (move stored in XML FILe)
(Player1) 2. tailwhip-bite-bite
(Player2) 2. bite-bite-bite...

I like the seeding idea but that's not going
to help if a player opens up the xml file
before its uploaded and manually edit the file
keeping the seed tag the same but changing the
the out come. I suppose that's the problem with XML.

I am not sure about the RPG element as
you would need a load of players to be in
your level or all the match would get progressively harder.
I have a think about how to do that cos it's a good idea.

if I get chance tonight I'll put together some visuals

Thanks all for your input

The seed tag is only for predicting the outcome of possible battles.
This means there is no need for re-uploading the XML files.

Back