Is this normal ?-New unit -

danielo515

Hey,

I  have few questions about my brand new 1gh pandora. I know some of this questions may be made in ED's store, but I hate the contact form and how it works.

First of all, I have to say the shipping was very fast, so ED can be proud of himself.

My first complaint is about the SD card. I bought the 32GB deluxe pack.

In the store you can read clearly 32GB class 16, but I received a class 10 instead, which is pretty good for the price, but is not what the web said. Is this a error on the store? Is a error from ED when shipped?

Second complaint is about how the pandora looks closed - I'll post pics later - Te right corner of the top touches the bottom when it is closed, but the left one is a little bit separated. I heard about this in some reviews, but if my memory doesn't fail, it was in CC ones - not sure about this -. Is not a big issue, and the top left corner is getting close to the bottom each day.

I can say the same for the battery cover but reversed: the left side is ok, but the right one looks like it doesn't close completely.

Sharp edges: this is hard to explain. Some parts of the case, mainly in the top part borders, looks like somebody had tried tho sharp it. It's like a stone axe - yes, like the ung ung guys- I hope pics I'll post lather helps with this.

Right nub: it fails much more than the left one. Sometimes, the left one stop working, but just some "nub dance" restores it. With the right one is different: if I run the input test, to the right, top and bottom works very well, but if I try to go to the left, it only reaches 10 to 12 values. How can I fix this? Is a hardware or software issue?

Thanks a lot for reading, and thanks even more for answering.

Cheers.

My first complaint is about the SD card. I bought the 32GB deluxe pack.

In the store you can read clearly 32GB class 16, but I received a class 10 instead, which is pretty good for the price, but is not what the web said. Is this a error on the store? Is a error from ED when shipped?
Where did you find that it's a class 16 card?

It doesn't say this in the description of the Pandora Deluxe Pack.

I have 32GB Class 16 cards in the shop, but I also have Class 10 cards in the shop (just not right now, as I used them up for the Deluxe Packs).

I don't think there's a speed difference though (Class 10 is the maximum defined standard).

Did you assume it should be a Class 16 card or did I make a mistake here, but I can't find this information anywhere in the description.

Second complaint is about how the pandora looks closed - I'll post pics later - Te right corner of the top touches the bottom when it is closed, but the left one is a little bit separated. I heard about this in some reviews, but if my memory doesn't fail, it was in CC ones - not sure about this -. Is not a big issue, and the top left corner is getting close to the bottom each day.
That's on every Pandora.

The side where the hinge is is being pushed down a bit more, that's why the other one is a bit higher.

The case is still the same as the one we had back with the CC-Pandoras (just with a few fixes to prevent the cracks), it's the worst part of the Pandora, but sadly not fixable without spending at least 200K EUR on it. :(

I can say the same for the battery cover but reversed: the left side is ok, but the right one looks like it doesn't close completely.

Sharp edges: this is hard to explain. Some parts of the case, mainly in the top part borders, looks like somebody had tried tho sharp it. It's like a stone axe - yes, like the ung ung guys- I hope pics I'll post lather helps with this.
The battery cover can be bent a bit - that usually helps.

About the edges: Again, this is probably the same as on every Pandora. The quality of the case is not as good as the rest, as it's the only part coming from China and we didn't have the money nor time to fix it with the rebirth.

Right nub: it fails much more than the left one. Sometimes, the left one stop working, but just some "nub dance" restores it. With the right one is different: if I run the input test, to the right, top and bottom works very well, but if I try to go to the left, it only reaches 10 to 12 values. How can I fix this? Is a hardware or software issue?
Might again be the case :)

This usually happens when the nub hits the case. Try pressing the case around the nub down a bit.

Thanks a lot for reading, and thanks even more for answering..
I hope I could be of help :)

Might again be the case  :)

This usually happens when the nub hits the case. Try pressing the case around the nub down a bit.
Do you mean force the nub against the case?

Did you assume it should be a Class 16 card or did I make a mistake here, but I can't find this information anywhere in the description.
May I take that assumption. When I was thinking to buy the pandora I look around the store up a lot, and may I mixed information. I think you're right.

Nope, press the case surrounding the nub downwards.
Thanks Michael, this just improved the performance of my right nub immediately. For starters I can actually use it, which is a relief. Perhaps every unit should be given a little squeeze before its sent.

EDIT: Spoke too soon. They went back to unusable within a minute, and a nub-reset just made it worse.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope, press the case surrounding the nub downwards.

Thanks Michael, this just improved the performance of my right nub immediately. For starters I can actually use it, which is a relief. Perhaps every unit should be given a little squeeze before its sent.

EDIT: Spoke too soon. They went back to unusable within a minute, and a nub-reset just made it worse.
i think if an emu crashes in joystick mode then the nubs may be affected.imo 99% of issues are solved with a reflash. Try pressing the area around the nub again.

The right nub is definetively a software problem.

After playing some EMUS where the nub was used, and worked well, it started to work well again in XCFE.

I think Wrath of Khan made the correct comment.

Hmm, how do you mean? I've had games crash and leave the nubs in joystick mode, but I can just go to the nub configurator and switch them back. That works fine for me - my only complaint is that I've tried changing the default sensitivity, but I have to reload the nubs every time I reboot.

As for it being software vs. hardware, bear in mind the nubs run their own software, so you've effectively got two layers of software between the physical nubs and the game/OS software reading them. The nub dance helps the software in the nubs recalibrate correctly when it gets a bit out of kilter with reality (which it does more often than I'd like on my unit, but there you go). I'd guess my right nub gets a bit messed up more often than my left since it gets less use (especially over to the right) as mouse buttons, so when I do use it in a game like Super Geo Dust I usually have to do the right nub dance more than once per game.

i think if an emu crashes in joystick mode then the nubs may be affected.imo 99% of issues are solved with a reflash. Try pressing the area around the nub again.
Unfortunately I'm just talking about desktop usage, which has always made up the majority of my usage. The nubs will be correctly calibrated one minute then, ninety seconds later, after I've done something particularly audacious like move diagonally for two hundred pixels or so, it'll be next to impossible to move in one of eight directions. Using 'reset' in the nub-settings panel makes it worse generally. I also get this in Super Geometry Dust. In fact its the prime reason for me dying in the game.

I know this has been discussed on the boards on various occasions, but could anyone give a potted summary of what's wrong with the calibration, possible solutions (future or present), and how much the issue varies between units? If so, thanks!

EDIT: As this post was directed more widely than at ED I've moved my question in some more detail on the Support board here:

http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php/topic/11460-understanding-the-nubs/

IF this is a calibration problem... Why does one nub fail more than the other? And why it affects only one direction?

Maybe because the right nub is less used.

Do the nubdance :)

Back