Is This Something To Be Concerned About?

Squidge said:
Yes, over time, it could damage it. Overclocking always works like that. Intel and AMD (as well as every other processor manufacturer) say the exact same thing.
And yet we all know that you can push a Pentium Dual Core E2160 from 1.8ghz to 3.2ghz, maybe 3.5ghz.

Last edited by a moderator:
gibberish said:
quadomatic said:
There was an example in the other thread where it was like, maybe if the processor had a lifespan of 15 years, you'll get 10 years out of it.
but thats what im talking about - is that really the case?

Yes, it is:
Texas Instruments said:
To avoid significant device degradation for commercial temperature OMAP3530/OMAP3525 devices (0°C < Tj < 90°C), the device power-on hours (POH) must be limited to one of the following:
· 100K total POH when operating across all OPPs and keeping the time spent at OPP5 to less than 23K POH.
· 50K total POH when operating exclusively at OPP5.
· 44K total POH with no restrictions to the proportion of these POH at operating points OPP1 - OPP5.
44k hours is a really long time. I'm going to run my Pandora at whatever speed works best for each app and I'm not going to worry about it one bit. You're free to make your own decisions.

Chip said:
44k hours is a really long time. I'm going to run my Pandora at whatever speed works best for each app and I'm not going to worry about it one bit. You're free to make your own decisions.
30 years at an average of 4 hours a day. :blink:

Worry about it as much as you did with the GP2X/GP32 overclocking.

We probably will do some tests and post the results, just like I seem to remember I did back on the GP32 to prove it was safe? Wow, can anyone find that post?

gibberish said:
a) but who is going to use the device solely with the applications it ships with? nobody. people will undoubtedly be pushing the pandora to its very limits in terms of software before too long and it will require all the juice it can get to accomplish this.
and those applications, when available, will set (or let you set) the processor speed appropriately.

gibberish said:
B) expected battery life was better than brilliant at 600mhz. if the machine runs safely at 600mhz then ship at 600mhz, dont underclock for the sake of an hour or 2 more on battery life.
Why? What would be the reason? If some software runs better at 600Mhz, then either the program or yourself can select that speed before or during the execution of said software. No need (or point) to overclock just because you can.

(Plus, it will encourage developers to optimise there code more :))

craigix said:
Worry about it as much as you did with the GP2X/GP32 overclocking.

We probably will do some tests and post the results, just like I seem to remember I did back on the GP32 to prove it was safe? Wow, can anyone find that post?
This one?

Squidge said:
Sphinxter said:
Any daemon or mechanism that scales on demand?
Yes, you can specify the maximum amount of power management, and the OS will do all it can to reduce battery load/increase battery life. It's not fully implemented yet though.

That will be a very exciting feature.

BaDToaD said:
Chip said:

It's only 5 years at a constant 24 hours a day.
Some of us have a lot of games to catch up on, don't you know?

WizardStan said:
BaDToaD said:
Chip said:

It's only 5 years at a constant 24 hours a day.
Some of us have a lot of games to catch up on, don't you know?

Just turn off fps limits and play really fast! :p

quadomatic said:
Just turn off fps limits and play really fast! :p
Of random note, that is the #1 reason I prefer emulators over the real deal: fast forward key because I can read or move around faster than the game lets me, or if I've seen a scene more than once (hard boss battles in most RPGs, I'm looking at you!) than it's easy to skip through them. #2 reason is save states. #3 reason is Super Eagle blending.

Back