Beagleboard Demo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I've had a quick look at them in the past. I don't think they are designed for battery powered applications. They seem a bit heavier on the power consumption than I would like. Also, the 3D core is the same as the i.MX31 which is just a lite OpenGL ES 1.1 implementation to speed up navigation graphics and stuff like that. I'm a pretty big ARM fan and so I'm pretty happy with the choice that fell into our laps.

I recall reading somewhere that the beagleboard hardware is almost identical to the Pandora's in terms of raw circuit guts... If that is the case, then I would imagine it would be pretty straightforward process to port things made for BB to the P. Going from the P to the BB might be a bit more tricky (I would assume), if only because most Pandora-based distributions are probably made specifically for the Pandora, so things like resolution might have to be dealt with in some way or another.

Or I could just be completely wrong. Whatever.

They are very similar, the Pandora runs a version of the Beagle Kernel.

The Pandora is obviously resolution locked, but moving code between the 2 systems should not be too hard at all. A few defines and you could maintain software for both.

craigix said:

The Pandora is obviously resolution locked, but moving code between the 2 systems should not be too hard at all. A few defines and you could maintain software for both.
Sorry about re-opening this thread.
Is there some way of connecting an external monitor to pandora?
If so, wouldn't locking the resolution be a bad idea?

Last edited by a moderator:
slashank said:
craigix said:

Sorry about re-opening this thread.
Is there some way of connecting an external monitor to pandora?
If so, wouldn't locking the resolution be a bad idea?

S-Video/ Composite only, ChronoTriggerfan is correct.

The BeagleBoard is mighty tempting, for $150 you might as well build a game system out of it and call it the Pandora Console :)

I hope that devs will keep this in mind and the beagleboard will be supported by homebrew apps.

Yeah, you could easily tell the only thing slowing down the Ubuntu demo was the relatively low RAM. Ubuntu is aimed at machines with more memory, so I was pleasantly surprised how quickly things were getting done. I wonder what they were swapping to, an SD card? if so, the access for the card must be blazing fast.

If a full blown gnome desktop will use too much memory, how's about using something from here ( http://xwinman.org/ ) . Or what about something that uses even lower requirements than (say) XFCE, what about EDE? (http://equinox-project.org/page/ ) . I haven't used it, but it look like it does enough and would be small. It'd need some sort of file manager, but maybe ROX would do that?

ljones

I compiled and ran EDE on my Zaurus running Debian. It is not ready for prime time. LXDE is great though. And E17 if you like the interface. There are MANY light desktop environments/window managers around. I am sure most will be compiled for the Pandora eventually.

Canguy

The Angstrom distribution provides packages for Xfce4 and E17, There's a demo of a Pandora devboard running Angstrom here, the Beagleboard has S/Video and DVI outputs and a VGA adapter is still out.

tutut said:
The Angstrom distribution provides packages for Xfce4 and E17, There's a demo of a Pandora devboard running Angstrom here, the Beagleboard has S/Video and DVI outputs and a VGA adapter is still out.
Dude, was that necessary? That thread was more than a year old, and I think we all know which VMs are available by now...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back