Android, Chrome OS & Ubuntu for Beagleboard - Current Bounty $425

So does $425 dollars so far.

Are you going to try your hand at it?

Right about now, Obiwan feels a disturbing force to Jedi mind trick his Android tablets OS onto the Pandora from a relatively short distance, just to prove the metachlorian awesomeness of his mindsight.........yet this is not the Droid we were searching for
biggrin.gif

Right about now, Obiwan feels a disturbing force to Jedi mind trick his Android tablets OS onto the Pandora from a relatively short distance, just to prove the metachlorian awesomeness of his mindsight.........yet this is not the Droid we were searching for
biggrin.gif
thats me

The thing is I put up my bounty for Android first, I want Andoird so that advanced droid games like 3d mobile MMORPGs will work on the Pandora. Now is anybody looking into this like testing stuff and being serious about it :huh:

im still chugging along im just working on two seperate android projects at work and at the end of the day the last thing i want to see is android source code. ill get deeper in soon and have an alpha floating around before too long. dont worry about the games. we have plenty of horsepower. same cpu that is in the first droid. nubs will be tricky to integrate into most things a lot of the games would have to be changed to work with them but i know at very least the guy that made pewpew has heard of the pandora and would probably work with me to get it working. pewpew is similar to super stardust.

@DuckMan: What about other "Android" peripherals such as accelerometer and GPS? Are they required or not so good overal functionality of Android OS and its applications depends on them or not?

@DuckMan: What about other "Android" peripherals such as accelerometer and GPS? Are they required or not so good overall functionality of Android OS and its applications depends on them or not?

i know that most of the android apps use the accelerometer/gyro thingy.

But also a eee pc can run an ported version of android so that would tell us that it would work without.

the gps part every android device has the ability to turn it of so it would also work without. but the pandora can work with Bluetooth gps devices

I'm currently creating a wiki page for a project I'm doing as part of my bachelor thesis. For now the wiki page contains a small status overview and a guide on how to use my compiled Android platform. Next will be instructions for compilation for the pandora. I also have a repository set up. The wiki page is still local hosted but I'm trying to get it online ASAP.

@DuckMan: What about other "Android" peripherals such as accelerometer and GPS? Are they required or not so good overal functionality of Android OS and its applications depends on them or not?

while they are desire-able they are not hard and fast requirements. the apps that try to use them of course won't work properly. usb peripherals could of course be added but they will need to be built in in order for them to work right and mapped to the correct location in the OS. doable but will need to be done per device, so ya'll will have to tell me what I need to support on a case-by-case basis or alter the code yourself once I publish it.

Just wondering, Duckman where do you work :-||

I'm afraid I'm not at liberty to divulge that information. ;)

Hmm, maybe you can add support for USB periphs like flash drives/controllers?

I'm fairly sure that's possible, especially since the newest version of Android(Ice Cream Sandwich) is supposed to have usb host capability.

Just thought it might be worth checking if everyone who offered a bounty for this still stands by their original pledge.

I've played with Ubuntu 11.10 (Oneiric Ocelot) on the Beagleboard.. I don't recall it being that difficult to run, I had to play a few games to get the SGX acceleration going, the initial script to setup the first user was broke and ended up in an endless loop, but found a work around by just un-installing the setup script..

The Pandora would need some keyboard mapping, PND support added and such.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back