Is Tony Hawks On The Psp Really Worth It?

Mark

Boris Johnson: Cuddly Conservative
Website
www.gp-magazine.org.uk
I think it's time for me to buy a new PSP game to go with Everybody's Golf and Ridge Racers. My question is, is Tony Hawk's really worth it? For one, it's around £30. For two, while many people are saying how good it is, they are saying that it has quite a few faults with it after you get to play it for a while.

It's essentially a toss up between this, Wipeout Pure and Mecury.

Is it the novetly, or is it a genuinely excellent game?

well of the three games i have (THUG2, Tiger Woods, Ridge Racer) its so far been the least enjoyable and least played.

i loved THUG on the gamecube, the story mode was really clever and all the levels were awesome.

However having only played through the training level and the one after that i'm finding THUG2 extremely trying. The level layouts feel incredibly cramped and the fact you can't go straight to a challenge from the menu is very very very annoying.

i'm gonna give classic mode a try tomorrow and see if its at all redeeming!

my friend recently got a psp(valuepack) and he got Tony hawks and he has said to be its alright but nothing special, i think it looks good but never played it yet so i guess its realy up to you.... mind you that MGS is gonna come out and NFS ect...

so if you like TH then you might as well get it as it doesnt look too different then the ps2 version(even graphics...cough ds. :lol: ) but if you dont want to go spashing out your money on lots of new games then wait till you have the chance to get other games especialy!!! metal gear solid and gta psp!

I've got it and find the presentation and the graphics really great. The create a character and import your own face is excellent as well.

I've never had a Tony Hawks before though and am finding the game extremely difficult - I am so crap, it really is unbeleivable. I give it to my mate for a go (a seasoned pro) and after about 15 minutes he had done more than I have done since I got it.

If you've got a wirelss setup, have you considered Twisted Metal?

I've got this as well and it has kept me playing for hours upon end. Lots to unlock, the movies are really excellent (the intro blew me away), the mini games are good and the online play is simply awesome. But I am tainted by the nostalgia of it all.

Cant recommend it enough though.

when you mean online, what do you actually mean, can you hook this up to the internet at home and play online?

Mark posted on Apr 19 2005 at 04:57 PM said:
I think it's time for me to buy a new PSP game to go with Everybody's Golf and Ridge Racers. My question is, is Tony Hawk's really worth it? For one, it's around £30. For two, while many people are saying how good it is, they are saying that it has quite a few faults with it after you get to play it for a while.

Didn't read the whole thread so forgive any repeated info.

THUG 2 is definately a good PSP game, one of the best so far. I haven't run into any 'faults' per se, other than that I dont like the Underground mode, but rather prefer to play in the Classic mode which makes it play exactly like the older TH's. However, quite a few people DO like the Underground mode... so it's all in what you prefer. The controls are great and the graphics are fantastic. If there's a 'fault' it's that it is one of the darker PSP games... though not nearly as hard to see as Metal Gear or Untold Legends.

Of the other two games you listed, Wipeout is ... well... heheh it's a tossup. It LOOKS fantastic, is very bright, colorful and easy to see, but for me (being my first experience with Wipeout ever) it is a hard game with way-too-slippery controls and wa-too-narrow tracks which makes the game get very hard very fast. Kotd, who recommended the game to me very highly based on his experience with other Wipeout games... but when he finally got his hands on the PSP version he was NOT impressed, and said to me "I can see why you dislike it so much, it's NOTHING like the older wipeout's". So.. I dunno... some people love it, some people hate it.

Mercury is a good game... in a lot of ways it's very reminiscent of Monkey Ball, though not as fast paced. The only problems with this game are that a) it also get's very difficult very fast, though so far I'm half way thru and haven't truly gotten 'stuck' like I have on Wipeout, and B) the game is apparently VERY short. I've played for about 2-3 hours, and the game says I'm about 50% complete. So... possibly 6 hours of gameplay thru the main mode. And from what I can see, there doesn't seem to be a lot of incentive to play thru any of it again... once I'm done with it I'll sell it.

I just bought Twisted Metal two days ago also based on Kotd's recommendation, and I must say I'm likeing that one as well, it's quick fun, very easy to get into, play a round and then put it back down. Very fast paced and with simple intuitive controls, plays like a quake or unreal style deathmatch game only with cars. Gorgeous graphics as well. I might even recommend this one over THUG 2 or they are very close in my book.

Mark, if all you have is RR and Everybodies Golf, I'd more strongly recommend picking up Lumines (a must have unless you absolutely can't stand puzzle games), Metal Gear Acid (I know everyone doubts this one but most people who actually give it a try do like it a lot), Ape Escape friggin ROCKS in my oppinion... if you're into the Mario 64 kinda game.. I LOVE this game and it controls fine with only one analog stick. If it were me, I'd pick up one of those before getting wipeout, THUG or Mercury.

Last edited by a moderator:
bast525 posted on Apr 20 2005 at 07:19 AM said:
Mark posted on Apr 19 2005 at 04:57 PM said:

Didn't read the whole thread so forgive any repeated info.

THUG 2 is definately a good PSP game, one of the best so far. I haven't run into any 'faults' per se, other than that I dont like the Underground mode, but rather prefer to play in the Classic mode which makes it play exactly like the older TH's. However, quite a few people DO like the Underground mode... so it's all in what you prefer. The controls are great and the graphics are fantastic. If there's a 'fault' it's that it is one of the darker PSP games... though not nearly as hard to see as Metal Gear or Untold Legends.

Of the other two games you listed, Wipeout is ... well... heheh it's a tossup. It LOOKS fantastic, is very bright, colorful and easy to see, but for me (being my first experience with Wipeout ever) it is a hard game with way-too-slippery controls and wa-too-narrow tracks which makes the game get very hard very fast. Kotd, who recommended the game to me very highly based on his experience with other Wipeout games... but when he finally got his hands on the PSP version he was NOT impressed, and said to me "I can see why you dislike it so much, it's NOTHING like the older wipeout's". So.. I dunno... some people love it, some people hate it.

Mercury is a good game... in a lot of ways it's very reminiscent of Monkey Ball, though not as fast paced. The only problems with this game are that a) it also get's very difficult very fast, though so far I'm half way thru and haven't truly gotten 'stuck' like I have on Wipeout, and B) the game is apparently VERY short. I've played for about 2-3 hours, and the game says I'm about 50% complete. So... possibly 6 hours of gameplay thru the main mode. And from what I can see, there doesn't seem to be a lot of incentive to play thru any of it again... once I'm done with it I'll sell it.

I just bought Twisted Metal two days ago also based on Kotd's recommendation, and I must say I'm likeing that one as well, it's quick fun, very easy to get into, play a round and then put it back down. Very fast paced and with simple intuitive controls, plays like a quake or unreal style deathmatch game only with cars. Gorgeous graphics as well. I might even recommend this one over THUG 2 or they are very close in my book.

Mark, if all you have is RR and Everybodies Golf, I'd more strongly recommend picking up Lumines (a must have unless you absolutely can't stand puzzle games), Metal Gear Acid (I know everyone doubts this one but most people who actually give it a try do like it a lot), Ape Escape friggin ROCKS in my oppinion... if you're into the Mario 64 kinda game.. I LOVE this game and it controls fine with only one analog stick. If it were me, I'd pick up one of those before getting wipeout, THUG or Mercury.

Thanks, that replies really helpful. Lumines was going to be a defnite but since I picked up Meteos a few weeks ago on the DS that really is satasfying my puzzle needs. I'll have a think, I absolutely adore Ape Escape but only recently played through the original.

hehe actually I had recently picked up a copy of ape escape for the PSX myself... got to like the fourth world and saw it was coming for PSP and stopped playing anymore after that.

Same deal happened with Mario 64... I had just played thru that again on the Xbox via Surreal 64 when the DS came out... that didn't stop me from playing that one again though.. not a fair comparison though since they changed a LOT of things for Mario DS which kept it interesting and those minigames rock! Not really much changed in Ape Escape unfortunately so probably not worth the purchase if you just played it.

KickinWing posted on Apr 19 2005 at 09:54 PM said:
when you mean online, what do you actually mean, can you hook this up to the internet at home and play online?

Yeah. Online. Straight up. No tunnelling crap.

oh your shitting me. I haven't heard of this, even on sites that I've gone to to try to find more info on it. So what does it have a modem already, i have DSL, is it compatable? Is there any sites i can go to for PSP info. The ones i've visited haven't been great, even the official site i didn't see anything about online capabilities.

KickinWing posted on Apr 20 2005 at 01:41 PM said:
oh your shitting me. I haven't heard of this, even on sites that I've gone to to try to find more info on it. So what does it have a modem already, i have DSL, is it compatable? Is there any sites i can go to for PSP info. The ones i've visited haven't been great, even the official site i didn't see anything about online capabilities.
You need a wireless router in order to play it online ;)

All you need is to get a cheap 'access point', plug it into your DSL PC and connect.

i do have wireless capability with my DSL modem, i'll just have to figure out how to switch it over. now is this a hack thing or are there games that support online play available? Also, i'm not that tech saavy anymore, but since my DSL modem can go wireless, I don't NEED to buy anything for the PSP in order to go online??

Not a hack. Official Sony servers. Legit.

If your modem can broadcast wirelessly then you should be able to connect your PSP - no need for anything else.

What modem do you have?

Edit: By the way, who here has Twisted Metal and plays online? Will have to play a game.

i'm at work so i can't tell you but I believe the guy told me it was capable of wireless connection because there are 2 antennas, one on each side of it, that I believe are used to send the signal wirelessly, i'll just have to pull out the manual to see how to get it to go wireless since my ethernet cable is plugged into it from my pc, unless it's already broadcasting wirelessly and i just don't know it.

EDIT, this is the final kicker, i'm going tomorrow after work and buying me a PSP

hmm, sorry if i sound stupid but..... if i have a regular broadband modem (motorola surfboard) what would i need to play psp and ds online? mind you the novelty of xbox live wore off after the first month so i dunno if i would be that bothered, but its nice to know the option is there.cheers

CUPC4KES posted on Apr 21 2005 at 04:33 PM said:
hmm, sorry if i sound stupid but..... if i have a regular broadband modem (motorola surfboard) what would i need to play psp and ds online? mind you the novelty of xbox live wore off after the first month so i dunno if i would be that bothered, but its nice to know the option is there.cheers

Just configure a wifi router, and the psp and the ds will find the network!!!

I was a wifi virgin, thought it was too hard, but it is really simple!

The joys of surfing the net on the loo... :D

Back