Issue with left nub on brand new Pandora

by sensitivity i mean pressing it slightly in the test registers as the max range of movement. and it does seem that the black plastic that the nub rests on is too high, and that is what it is catching on. I tried pressing it down with a spudger, however it doesn't seem to have any give to it.

@ ED : Do you keep records of the reasons for RMA's / Repairs? It seems to me that there are far more problems reported with the left nub than the right nub, is this feeling correct? If it is correct can you think of any reason why this should be the case as from my understanding the left & right nubs are identical in terms of hardware.

It could be that my views are tarnished by personal experience, the 3 Pandoras I've owned all had / have problems with the left nub. In my current Pandora this manifests only very occasionally (once every few months) and can be sorted by pulling the battery.

Is the bias for the left nub based on the fact that 99% of use the left nub for mouse movement and the right one just for mouse clicks? Problems with the right nub might just not be as annoying and don't show that easily..

I have got problema with the left nub on my 1ghz upgrade board as well, it's on its way back to ed as its really annoying and i hope for cure by replacement..

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm, I guess it would just be a matter of sourcing the parts. Does anyone know the part number?

Hmm, I guess it would just be a matter of sourcing the parts. Does anyone know the part number?
As they are custom made, I wonder if they have a part number. Try contacting ED about it, I he has some left, he surely will sell some to you.

I thought about soldering them myself, too. CC unit here with dual dead nubs. I am not touching the area around the nubs though because the green of the PCB is already peeling off, I would likely just make it worse. Damn CircuitCo. And also damn those friggin cheap screws that were used to put my unit together *eyeballs Craig*

Edit: Meh, Nubs set to Joystick mode, some programm must've changed that.. they still work and don't just like they feel :(

I may be an electronics technician by trade, but this unit IS brand new and i don't want to void the warranty just to replace a nub. I'm just going to find out what to do to have it fixed under warranty.

This is an odd bug, It's on my rebirth and 1Ghz unit, but my First Batch CC unit doesn't have this issue and that unit seen the most use. Many suggested that the left nub gets the most use... but It's happening on new units right out of the box. I've swapped mouse mode to the right nub and I don't have the issue.. what is that telling me? Is this some odd software glitch? Hardware?

Mine is definitely a hardware issue, as the nub physically sticks. It is almost as if something has jammed inside it, I checked the clearances with come carbon paper and it's not actually contacting the housing.

Your issue is different I suppose.. It's been reported once that someone found some protective plastic stuck between the top nub plate and the base of the nub that was never removed. Not sure if that's the case here..

Mine and many other people suffer from some odd quirkyness that requires you to do the "Nub Dance" (move them around all over rapidly) or remove the battery for several minutes so it forces the nub firmware to reinitialize.

My nubs both work fine nearly all of the time, but if I do get calibration issues, it tends to be the right nub. Some nub dancing and waiting fixes the problem for me.

Yeah, this definitely isn't a calibration issue, as the nub physically sticks in place. Are the nub caps removable?

I've noticed some odd behavior as of late on my left nub, very similar behavior, but not entirely sure if it's the same... I notice it more with N64 emulation, on the XFCE desktop the cursor seems to go slower when moving in some directions. For some reason powering down and back up temporarily fixes the issue, but will return after a short while. I haven't noticed this issue on my first batch Pandora, just my rebirth.. It could be hardware related, but I swear I didn't have this issue until I updated to the newest Super Zaxxon.. it may just be coincidental though.. I need to do more testing and I haven't done a real good test on my first batch Pandora..
I have this issue as well, exactly as you've said it, plus the slowness is sometimes (although rarely) so severe that I cannot move the cursor into a certain direction at all, getting it stuck against the side.  Resetting the nubs sometimes fixes it, resetting the Pandora always fixes it for a while.  The joystick itself is never physically stuck, that's a different problem.

N64 games were unplayable until I switched the joystick controls to the d-pad, but now I'm accustomed to living with the problem.

This is an odd bug, It's on my rebirth and 1Ghz unit, but my First Batch CC unit doesn't have this issue and that unit seen the most use. Many suggested that the left nub gets the most use... but It's happening on new units right out of the box. I've swapped mouse mode to the right nub and I don't have the issue.. what is that telling me? Is this some odd software glitch? Hardware?
I think most people use the left nub for mouse and gaming (N64, PSX) and the right Nub mostly for mouse click (Maybe Super Geometry Dust and PewPew).

If the left and right Nub have the same braking rate lots of people simply don't recognize that the right one is broken.

They need it for right and left click, not more.

I don't think there is some hardware or software bug.

Those with a broken right nub simply don't recognize it that often than the one with broken left Nub.

Late addition, now that I've realized, but my right nub does have the same problem as the left.  Their symptom instances are not in sync though, so I have each set as mouse so that I can switch to using the other whenever one starts acting up.

Back