Issues with libreoffice on pandora.

DrHAX

T̶h̶e̶ ̶A̶u̶t̶h̶o̶r̶ The Artist
Hello I am currently plagued with two major errors that heavily affect my ability to save and edit my stories, and as an inspiring author.. This isn't good.

The two that plague me are basically

"Error saving the document "Title":/media/sdcard/(title).odt does not exist)

"Error saving document backup copy couldn't be created."

I looked around on google to see what needed to be done. I did a suggestion directly from the libreoffice people about the second one, and nothing changed. it still does it. So now my only options are praying that it managed to save the first time exit out and hope to the gods above that my work didn't disappear into thin air like the glory days of 2011 when libreoffice converted most of my stories to 0-bit null files of nothingness.

(ps I wasn't sure where to stick this. If It doesn't belong in general talk please move it.)

Also they vary day by day some days i get no errors and some days its impossible

Apparently the 32gb that came with my pandora is formated as an MSDOS format.. I wonder if thats not helping, yet the one my main pandora apps are are defintely either one of the first suggestions. However sometimes it says it can't mount or save to the card.

then I have to go to the media folder to attempt the save, but if that happens then it won't save anywhere most of the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
MSDOS Format?

Like only eight character filenames?
If I that's what it said when I viewed its properties under ubuntu. Libreoffice and I have a history of fighting...

MSDOS Format?

Like only eight character filenames?
If I that's what it said when I viewed its properties under ubuntu. Libreoffice and I have a history of fighting...
FAT32 is more likely, as FAT16 (or 12) are not able to handle paritions bigger then 2 GB.

@Dr.HAX: what suggestion did you try ? Do you have another system to check the SD-Card or a second SD-Card, to see wether this behaviour is SD-Card specific, available ?

Can you store another file (if you try to copy a random file with the file manager) in the directory where you try to save?

Yupe. it's a libreoffice exclusive issue. Everything else can read write to the cards. When Libre Office acts up it usually can't even write to both of the cards. Its annoying.

Have you confirmed, that the whole path it tries to save the copy in is valid? Try to save your document in the libreoffice appdata directory and see if the issue persists.

DrHax, can you give us more information? Get LiveSystemInfo and check the M: status (free available memory). Could it be you ran out of RAM? Or S: Swap?

How big is your document? Do you use text only or also embedded things like graphics or images. Which format do you save to? Do you have java enabled or not?

Do a dmesg (in a console) do you get weird errors there about the disk? How about saving to Nand (not the SD card, but directly to your home folder.... I see people shudder...).

Do you reboot the machine before starting LibreOffice?

Did you reinstall LibreOffice? Maybe part of the software got foobarred? Just delete the ./pandora/appdata/libreoffice folder, then start LibreOffice again (will take some time to re-extract all libs and extensions)

As a last resort, open LibreOffice, and also a terminal. Goto /mnt/utemp/libreoffice then close libreoffice, it will stay mounted, then run ./runscript.sh from there. Now all grave errors, hopefully, will also be written to the terminal.

I tested with 288 pages of copy/pasted dmesg output.... I could write to all formats to an exFAT formatted disk. Could not reproduce.

as an alternative, try Abiword, that is what I use for serious texting. (not true, I still use all different kind of things, from vi to mousepad, to libreoffice, rememberthemilk and geany)

I did the Dmesg thing and ended up with numerous 65385.17764 (and continues from there Fat-fs (mmcblk1p1) : directory bread(block 841820 failed. and then a bunch of SQUASHFS errors.Hmm not sure what to make of this information.

Your card might be corrupt or starting to break as some sectors cannot be written to apparently...

Edit: Can you try to use libreoffice on a different card in the same slot and see if the errors are gone?

best thing is to reformat (do not use quick format) to find bad sectors and mark them as bad. But note, once a card start failing, its better to throw it away (or find your receipt, these things sometimes have 10 years warranty life... never found my receipts though...). I like to use gparted (must be on another SD card) to unmount, then check the FS... but before you do that: backup, backup, backup.

Your card might be corrupt or starting to break as some sectors cannot be written to apparently...

Edit: Can you try to use libreoffice on a different card in the same slot and see if the errors are gone?
Easily just need to back up my story.

If it wasn't already backed up anyway you are playing a risky game...

I have four copies of the main one on both of the SD cards.I back up my stuff. I learned after OpenOffice in the past would just corrupt them because kg could saving to SD like your life depends on it, saves the stories.

I have four copies of the main one on both of the SD cards.I back up my stuff. I learned after OpenOffice in the past would just corrupt them because kg could saving to SD like your life depends on it, saves the stories.
Good. :)
Just so you don't lose half a year of work like that guy getting crowd funding for his software project and then losing all his data in I think /one/ supposedly stolen computer. :-D

Personally I tend to use some online backup solution for my more important stuff too, but I guess that might be paranoid (on the other hand, I tend to handle dead lines in a way which would often lead to pretty bad consequences if I lost even 3 hours of work, so I guess it's probably a good idea... :) ).

Been there with the SD card in my phone. Fortunately the crash took away the new APKs I was trying to install, not my personal data.

Now I have btsync on my phone, on my pandora and my laptop.

My suggestion is to stop using the faulty SD card immediately (if you confirm it's the card's fault). It won't magically get better.

Back