I've Researched, Now For Some Questions...

JDd00d

Still Fresh
Hello, all. A little over half a year ago, I researched quite a bit on the GP32, mostly because I was interested in the SNES emulation on it. Once I found out that it only ran without sound, I ditched it completely. Music and sound are what I live for in games. :D
Anyway, someone informed me that now there is full-speed emulation with sound for SNES on the GP32. For the past day or so, I've been trying to research and find out if this is actually true. A short description on http://www.zophar.net for OpenSnes9x confirms this (full-speed with sound), but I can't seem to find this acknowledged anywhere else. I'm getting some mixed messages around this board (which I've found very useful since it is still updated--thanks, btw :)), some saying that OS9x (OpenSnes9x) doesn't work on the new BLU back-lit models offered at gbax.com.

My intention is to find out whether it will really be worth it to buy a GP32 for SNES emulation, and if so, which model will best facilitate this, and with what emulator.
So I'll give you a situation:
If I buy a regular (133MHz) BLU GP32 from gbax.com, overclock it to 166MHz, then get an emulator (say OS9x), can I play the following?

Donkey Kong Country 1-3
Yoshi's Island
Super Mario World
Super Mario All Stars
Zombies Ate My Neighbour
The Legend of the Mystical Ninja
Final Fantasy 1-6
Super Metroid
Megaman 7, X1-3
Super Mario RPG
Mario Kart
Chrono Trigger

I'd like any and all help/advice I can get on the matter, since it's the difference of around $200 USD. :)

(Please don't just tell me to search the forum, as I've already done so and only found out-dated and over-generic information on the matter. ;))
Thanks, :D
-JDd00d

Well, i'm sorry to say that there isn't any emulator that run at 100% with sound, you can play some games at decent speeds with sound, but they are a few only.

Snes emulation is not prefect, opensnes is pretty good but the sound isn't perfect and the emulation of most games is a bit slow but still very playable. Snes9x which is the older snes emulator that was the best before opensnes was released has perfect sound and more complete emulation but is pretty slow in some games. I am not going to go through and test all of those games but about half of the ones you listed are really playable. Snes emulation isn't perfect but it is really impressive concidering the limitations of the system that it's running on. Genesis emulation on the other hand is amazing it runs on average at about 30 fps at 156mhz whith full sound. Snes emulation is good enough that it is worth playing and is fun but it's not 100% and I don't see it getting there in the near future. There are tons of other emulators, homebrew games, pc ports and stuff to keep you entertained fora very very long time.

JDd00d posted on Feb 6 2005 at 05:05 PM said:
Hello, all. A little over half a year ago, I researched quite a bit on the GP32, mostly because I was interested in the SNES emulation on it. Once I found out that it only ran without sound, I ditched it completely. Music and sound are what I live for in games. :D
Anyway, someone informed me that now there is full-speed emulation with sound for SNES on the GP32. For the past day or so, I've been trying to research and find out if this is actually true. A short description on http://www.zophar.net for OpenSnes9x confirms this (full-speed with sound), but I can't seem to find this acknowledged anywhere else. I'm getting some mixed messages around this board (which I've found very useful since it is still updated--thanks, btw :)), some saying that OS9x (OpenSnes9x) doesn't work on the new BLU back-lit models offered at gbax.com.

My intention is to find out whether it will really be worth it to buy a GP32 for SNES emulation, and if so, which model will best facilitate this, and with what emulator.
If I buy a regular (133MHz) BLU GP32 from gbax.com, overclock it to 166MHz, then get an emulator (say OS9x), can I play the following?

Donkey Kong Country 1-3
Yoshi's Island
Super Mario World
Super Mario All Stars
Zombies Ate My Neighbour
Final Fantasy 1-6
Super Metroid
Megaman 7, X1-3
Super Mario RPG
Mario Kart
Chrono Trigger

I'd like any and all help/advice I can get on the matter, since it's the difference of around $200 USD. :)

(Please don't just tell me to search the forum, as I've already done so and only found out-dated and over-generic information on the matter. ;))
-JDd00d

Sorry SNES is still way too slow with sound. Genesis is great if you can do with that, but SNES is not there yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
It should be noted though that the author of OpenSNES9x recently (about a month ago) stated that he does plan on continuing and improving the emulator at some time.

OpenSNES9x is not currently compatible with the new BLU (refered to as the BLU+) yet, but the author stated he will be buying one soon and there will be a compatible version released.

So... if SNES is really all you care about, maybe wait it out a bit longer (but don't give up hope). However, maybe it would be a good idea to expand your horizons into the superb Genesis/Megadrive emulation this system has to offer.

If all you want is 100% full speed portable snes emulation with sound, That the GP32 probably never be able to offer in its current form, But do not wish to reap any of the benefits from the other things the GP32 can offer. Then the only thing i can suggest, Is one of these.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...0&rd=1&tc=photo

EDIT: If you can find one.

Trooper

Ben Heck makes those portables, go to his website at www.benheck.com and you can see how to make one yourself, or at http://benheck.com/Games/Portables%20For%20Sale.htm he lists the portables he is selling. At the moment, he's only making a portable N64, but he would probably make you a SNES if you asked him to. Just keep in mind that he charges a few hundred dollars for each of his systems, due to how much time and money they take to build.

Myself and others there are making our own, only costs under 100 to make a portable anything below the current nextgen consoles
( without battery expenses )

~Octavious

JDd00d posted on Feb 6 2005 at 09:05 AM said:
Hello, all.  A little over half a year ago, I researched quite a bit on the GP32, mostly because I was interested in the SNES emulation on it.  Once I found out that it only ran without sound, I ditched it completely.  Music and sound are what I live for in games. :D
Anyway, someone informed me that now there is full-speed emulation with sound for SNES on the GP32.  For the past day or so, I've been trying to research and find out if this is actually true.  A short description on http://www.zophar.net for OpenSnes9x confirms this (full-speed with sound), but I can't seem to find this acknowledged anywhere else.  I'm getting some mixed messages around this board (which I've found very useful since it is still updated--thanks, btw :)), some saying that OS9x (OpenSnes9x) doesn't work on the new BLU back-lit models offered at gbax.com. 

Donkey Kong Country 1-3
Yoshi's Island
Super Mario World
Super Mario All Stars
Zombies Ate My Neighbour
Final Fantasy 1-6
Super Metroid
Megaman 7, X1-3
Super Mario RPG
Mario Kart
Chrono Trigger

-JDd00d

The only way to be sure it overclocks is to buy the "166mhz gauranteed" version.

JDd00d posted on Feb 6 2005 at 05:05 PM said:
Hello, all.  A little over half a year ago, I researched quite a bit on the GP32, mostly because I was interested in the SNES emulation on it.

:ph34r:

lots of the nice programmers on this board (mentioning no names) have talked about getting into the snes side - and so in time - I think that the snes emu will only get better!

and until then - check out the extensive downloads section you'll get to play with - and the nice friendly scene that goes on in this forum - and you'll work out its well worth getting one!

if its expensive in US try ebay! theres lots for sale B)

J

Octavious posted on Feb 7 2005 at 02:25 AM said:
Myself and others there are making our own, only costs under 100 to make a portable anything below the current nextgen consoles

~Octavious

i spotted you on the forum. same avatar and everything :)

are you working on anything at the moment?

toxibunny posted on Feb 8 2005 at 08:15 PM said:
Octavious posted on Feb 7 2005 at 02:25 AM said:

~Octavious

i spotted you on the forum. same avatar and everything :)

are you working on anything at the moment?

check out the website in his sig - - portable n64 looks a lot of fun!!!

loved reading the diy tips!!!

I appreciate the comments very much. Keep in mind that I was only asking a particular question about the system. So trying to sell the idea of the console to me just won't work. ;) Thanks, though.

Those portables from Ben Heck look pretty neat. I've actually seen them before. However, they'd be much bulkier and wouldn't allow for emulation (not to mention the excessive price). Again, thanks, though. :)

I may just wait it out and see if any programmers take up the task of perfecting the SNES emulation. It'd be nice to have a portable SNES, but I'm only going to invest in something like that if it's near perfect. ;)

JDd00d posted on Feb 13 2005 at 04:34 AM said:
I appreciate the comments very much.  Keep in mind that I was only asking a  particular question about the system.  So trying to sell the idea of the console to me just won't work. ;)  Thanks, though.

Those portables from Ben Heck look pretty neat.  I've actually seen them before.  However, they'd be much bulkier and wouldn't allow for emulation (not to mention the excessive price).  Again, thanks, though. :)

I may just wait it out and see if any programmers take up the task of perfecting the SNES emulation.  It'd be nice to have a portable SNES, but I'm only going to invest in something like that if it's near perfect. ;)

No emulation is ever "perfect", But the GP32 does a reasonable job. Thats why i suggested the Snes portable, Because there is no emulation involved as you are playing on the actual hardware. It has just been re-located to a smaller case, Which obviously involved a lot of hard work, Hence the price. There is currently no portable game system that CAN emulate the snes `"perfectly", And i doubt there ever will <_< .

EDIT: Stupid spelling :rolleyes:

Trooper

Heh... that's why I said "near perfect." ;)
I hear ya, though. I may end up going for that, but I'm not sure if I'd invest quite that much in something like this. It was more of a nice thing to be able to get, as long as it's cheap and effective (and being able to play other games is a plus). I currently own two GBA flash carts, and I thought the GBC emulation would be nice to have, since the GBA can only emulate little GBC (but all GB). :)

JDd00d posted on Feb 13 2005 at 05:05 AM said:
Heh... that's why I said "near perfect." ;)
I hear ya, though.  I may end up going for that, but I'm not sure if I'd invest quite that much in something like this.  It was more of a nice thing to be able to get, as long as it's cheap and effective (and being able to play other games is a plus).  I currently own two GBA flash carts, and I thought the GBC emulation would be nice to have, since the GBA can only emulate little GBC (but all GB). :)

While SNES emulation may never be "near perfect" on the GP32, the other emulators are better than what is available on the GBA due to the larger higher resolution backlit screen.

The Ben portables are nice but yes they are expensive and not real practical as a portable as you have to lug aroung a bag full of carts.

Zombies (Ate My Neighbours) runs perfectly with sound on DrMD for the Genesis, so that's at least one from your list even if it isn't SNES.

®

Back