Javascript

Chris S

Still Fresh
Hi All

Stupid question from a stupid person possibly :)

Will the pandora run Javascript ?

Javascript, certainly.

Java, I'll need to pass you onto somebody more knowledgeable than me...

JavaScript: absolutely! It's built into the browser. Pretty much every browser.
Java: mostly yes. I've run some Java applications on my BeagleBoard. Some things may rely on Java packages that just aren't available for ARM, so won't run (like the OpenGL package, whatever it's called).
Java applets: eventually, probably. The plugins may not be available at release time.

WizardStan said:
Java: mostly yes. I've run some Java applications on my BeagleBoard. Some things may rely on Java packages that just aren't available for ARM, so won't run (like the OpenGL package, whatever it's called).

Is there any chance for the KGS go server to run? www.gokgs.com I've no idea what packages it relies on.

Last edited by a moderator:
RE JavaScript... has anyone tried to run the Cappuccino Web Application Framework demos on either a dev Pandora or a Beagleboard?

I'm really curious to hear how well, or not, they run since they are pretty heavyweight JavaScript; they implement Apple's Cocoa, AKA NextStep, in JavaScript:

http://cappuccino.org/learn/demos

Cuetzpalin said:
WizardStan said:

Is there any chance for the KGS go server to run? www.gokgs.com I've no idea what packages it relies on.

I can't speak for the BeagleBoard or the Pandora, as I have neither, but if the Pandora can run openjdk, then I imagine it'd probably work. I just installed openjdk-6-jre on my SheevaPlug (runs on a different ARM-based architecture as the Pandora), and ran the program with "javaws http://files.gokgs.com/javaBin/cgoban.jnlp". I didn't go further than the login and configuration screens, though. Anyway, according to this, openjdk is probably an option, but it leaves a very large footprint. That page lists other options for java support which would likely be leaner.

I ran 280slides and LightsOff. 280slides took about a minute to start, but otherwise seemed to run fine. Lights off is addicting but otherwise works perfectly, as far as I can tell. LightsOff seemed to have some trouble due to the screen resolution: trying to click the reset button kept making the page jump back to the top, causing me to miss, but nothing else I noticed.

WizardStan said:
I ran 280slides and LightsOff. 280slides took about a minute to start, but otherwise seemed to run fine. Lights off is addicting but otherwise works perfectly, as far as I can tell. LightsOff seemed to have some trouble due to the screen resolution: trying to click the reset button kept making the page jump back to the top, causing me to miss, but nothing else I noticed.

And what about the KGS go client?

Thanks!

Last time I had normal linux running on my beagle was specifically for the use of javascript. And sun actually has some decent support it's just not all that easy to get to for embedded platforms. Or at least it wasn't for me... can't say about java though haven't really messed with it much. I know I had openjdk on there at one point but the tool I was trying to use required sun java so it didn't really do much for me.

WizardStan said:
I ran 280slides and LightsOff.

Great, which browser did you use? That was on the BeagleBoard right, or do you have a dev Pandora? Sorry, I don't recall...

ben_dash said:
Great, which browser did you use? That was on the BeagleBoard right, or do you have a dev Pandora? Sorry, I don't recall...
That was on the BeagleBoard using Midori and Firefox. I haven't figured out how to install Aurora (which will be the new default browser) from the repository without making the rest of my system explode. It involves switching to the "unstable" branch, which isn't totally bad, except the last time I accidentally did that my wifi stopped working and a bunch of other stuff failed to run. I had to rebuild from scratch, so I'm not going to risk it again. :p

Cuetzpalin said:
And what about the KGS go client?
where do I get the jar, and what qualifies as success?

WizardStan said:
where do I get the jar, and what qualifies as success?

It's the Java WebStart JNLP that chole, above, already tested on a ShivaPlug.

It's not immediately obvious how to get WebStart applications to run. Loading it in the browser just tries to download it (of course, it does this on my PC as well), and there's no javaws in the Angstrom repository anywhere.

WizardStan said:
It's not immediately obvious how to get WebStart applications to run. Loading it in the browser just tries to download it (of course, it does this on my PC as well), and there's no javaws in the Angstrom repository anywhere.

TBH I've never run it on linux... the website says that if the link doesn't work this should:
javaws http://files.gokgs.com/javaBin/cgoban.jnlp

Cuetzpalin said:
TBH I've never run it on linux... the website says that if the link doesn't work this should:
javaws http://files.gokgs.com/javaBin/cgoban.jnlp

The problem is that it seems that there's no "javaws" in Angstrom.

Downloading and running the jar at http://files.gokgs.com/javaBin/cgoban.jar should work too.

javaws is distributed with every complete JVM distribution. You will find the executable in the same location as the java executable, but you might not be able to launch it with the javaws command directly because it doesn't lie on your PATH.

an0uag.png

(Why do I want to learn LISP all of a sudden...)

Attachments

• an0uag.png
    an0uag.png
    115.1 KB · Views: 63
dflemstr said:
javaws is distributed with every complete JVM distribution.

That's great news, I don't have anything running Angstrom; I was just reiterating what WizardStan said.

excuses excuses...

# cd /
# find -name java\*
./media/sda1/temp/idasdk/ldr/javaldr
./media/sda1/temp/idasdk/ldr/javaldr/javaldr.cpp
./media/sda1/temp/idasdk/module/java
./media/sda1/temp/idasdk/module/java/java.hpp
./usr/lib/opkg/alternatives/java
./usr/bin/java
./usr/share/automake-1.10/am/java.am
./usr/share/mime/application/javascript.xml
./usr/share/gimp/2.0/patterns/java.pat
./usr/share/vim/vim70/autoload/javascriptcomplete.vim
./usr/share/vim/vim70/ftplugin/java.vim
./usr/share/vim/vim70/ftplugin/javascript.vim
./usr/share/vim/vim70/compiler/javac.vim
./usr/share/vim/vim70/indent/java.vim

any other bright ideas? :p
Running
# java -jar cgoban.jar
errors out: Exception in thread "main" java.lang.InternalError: Expected reflection field doesn't exist
weird.

Back