Johnny-come-lately - "How to get started?"

earamsey

Still Fresh
Hi, I'm a "Johnny-come-lately" and would like to get started in development of this platform. What do I do to get started? Do I need a dev board to start development? Is there an sdk? etc.... I would like to write games!

earamsey said:
Hi, I'm a "Johnny-come-lately" and would like to get started in development of this platform. What do I do to get started? Do I need a dev board to start development? Is there an sdk? etc.... I would like to write games!
Basically use SDL or something similar to create your game. The Pandora runs a normal Linux distribution, so most libraries available on a desktop Linux distribution will also exist on the Pandora.
If you want to cross-compile games to run them on the Pandora itself (there's no point in doing that now, but there will be when the Pandora is released), get a copy of the CodeSourcery ARM cross-compiler (Google it)

There isn't really an SDK, but it will run Python, Java, Scala, C++.. anything that has an open-source interpreter / compiler, basically.

OpenGL ES and SDL libs are guaranteed, and there's a decent chance that either the Irrlicht or OGRE engines will be available. In fact, I think Irrlicht is already running, but with OpenGL ES 1.1 rather than 2.0.

ogre3d has already been demoed on the beagleboard

steer clear of platform specific libraries and extensions like some python extensions pyro iirc... and a few others just be sure to check that it works on ARM first you can search the debian/ubuntu repos or ask here if you don't find it and are unsure if the Lib you want is available

Back