Wow, Didn't Realize How Far Pandora Has Come Along!

quadomatic

DingooWiki Admin
Website
www.opendingoo.com
I started looking at the Pandora Wiki and on YouTube videos, and I had no idea how far the Pandora has come along! It's very impressive. I also can now understand why a device like the Pandora would be very useful, simply because it has a very small form factor and will have applications designed specifically for the platform, making it a more powerful device than things like eeePCs and the like.

I will now seriously consider purchasing one at the current price point. I did want an iPod Touch, but this seems like it may be a better choice!

BTW: I read on Zodttd's blog that there were reports of Pandora being able to hit 900mhz. If this is in fact true...and I realize that this is VERY farfetched...is it possible that we MIGHT see a Dreamcast emulator?

quadomatic said:
BTW: I read on Zodttd's blog that there were reports of Pandora being able to hit 900mhz. If this is in fact true...and I realize that this is VERY farfetched...is it possible that we MIGHT see a Dreamcast emulator?
We will almost certainly see a Dreamcast emulator at some point. But don't expect it to be anywhere near full speed...

Last edited by a moderator:
ndbsolar said:
We will almost certainly see a Dreamcast emulator at some point. But don't expect it to be anywhere near full speed...
Don't expect it to be anywhere near even playable. If there ever is a Dreamcast emulator, it will almost certainly be just a PoC. It seems a lot of people who ask about Dreamcast don't realize how recent of a console it is. Though it came out earlier, Dreamcast is part of the XBox, PS2, and Gamecube generation. There was a long thread about the possibility of Dreamcast emulation a while ago, do a search if you're interested. IIRC, the overall conclusion was that it would take something of a miracle to pull it off.

Here's the thread: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=41026

900 mhz is after over clocking and stop asking for Dreamcast emulation it has been explained that Dreamcast is a very complex system to emulate. Emulators on windows say are very optimized for that platform and still run slow.

-Brandon

Edit: Wow 2 replies before I could write mine. But I'm still right.

ndbsolar said:
quadomatic said:

Really. You're porting one? Because if not, consider this: Dreamcast emulation on the Pandora would either be as slow or slower than N64 emulation would have been on the GP2X. (if an emu was ported) An N64 emulator was never ported to the 2X, so why would it be different for Dreamcast on the Pandora?

Now if you were planning to port one yourself, then it'd be a whole different story on whether we would ever get an emu or not.

-God Ginrai

OP, just for a frame of reference, it runs like frozen sh*t even on an alienware laptop. <_<

.....But I'm still right.
Nice Brandon, nice. lol

God Ginrai said:
ndbsolar said:
quadomatic said:

Really. You're porting one? Because if not, consider this: Dreamcast emulation on the Pandora would either be as slow or slower than N64 emulation would have been on the GP2X. (if an emu was ported) An N64 emulator was never ported to the 2X, so why would it be different for Dreamcast on the Pandora?

Now if you were planning to port one yourself, then it'd be a whole different story on whether we would ever get an emu or not.

-God Ginrai

Ha, I thought I might get this question :rolleyes:
The answer is no, I am not porting a Dreamcast emulator. Its just that with these things, someone always seems to turn up with a proof of concept that runs at 0.5 frames per second.

ndbsolar said:
God Ginrai said:
ndbsolar said:
quadomatic said:

-God Ginrai

The answer is no, I am not porting a Dreamcast emulator. Its just that with these things, someone always seems to turn up with a proof of concept that runs at 0.5 frames per second.

But the problem here is that most devs in the GP32X community don't travel after Pipe Dreams like those in the PSP community.

Trust me, many of us begged for even a Proof of concept N64 emulator for the GP2X, but we never got it.

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
ndbsolar said:
God Ginrai said:
ndbsolar said:
quadomatic said:

-God Ginrai

But the problem here is that most devs in the GP32X community don't travel after Pipe Dreams like those in the PSP community.

Trust me, many of us begged for even a Proof of concept N64 emulator for the GP2X, but we never got it.

-God Ginrai

Seems to me that most of the dev's here know what is worth the effort, and what is not.

ndbsolar said:
God Ginrai said:
ndbsolar said:
God Ginrai said:
ndbsolar said:
quadomatic said:

-God Ginrai

-God Ginrai

Seems to me that most of the dev's here know what is worth the effort, and what is not.

Basically, but it can be kind of sad for those users who want something even if it is just a POC.

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
ndbsolar posted on Jul 18 2008 at 11:38 PM said:
God Ginrai posted on Jul 19 2008 at 04:33 AM said:
ndbsolar posted on Jul 18 2008 at 11:27 PM said:
God Ginrai posted on Jul 19 2008 at 04:17 AM said:
ndbsolar posted on Jul 18 2008 at 10:21 PM said:
quadomatic posted on Jul 19 2008 at 03:08 AM said:

-God Ginrai

Ha, I thought I might get this question :rolleyes
:

-God Ginrai

Basically, but it can be kind of sad for those users who want something even if it is just a POC.

-God Ginrai
[/quote]

Greg Solomon said:
Too bad, so sad, go tell your grand dad.

Dreamcast emulation might not be as far fetched as you people seem to think...yeah; we'll probably never see anyone make a Dreamcast emulator because of how complex it is, however; there is actually quite a few hardware similarities. The PowerVR SGX in the Pandora is the 5th generation revision of the Dreamcast's second generation PowerVR2--as far as I know they are instruction compatible. So graphics, generally one of the most complicated parts of emulation, becomes easier. I'm a bit unsure about the SH-4 RISC processor it has though...having to emulate it's quirky design features could be difficult.

PlopperZ said:
Just for the record, God Ginrai, there was a PoC N64 emulator, 1-2 fps :D

Ah, I didn't notice that. Good catch. I'll be downloading that right now. ^_^ But notice how that wasn't released until the end of the GP2X's life. (pretty much)

-God Ginrai

Ryzure said:
OP, just for a frame of reference, it runs like frozen sh*t even on an alienware laptop. <_<

Nice Brandon, nice. lol
DreamCast emulators on my PC from 5 years ago ran almost fullspeed... Chankast to be more precise and I don't recall my system specs then but... I think if someone has the time to invest... A DC emulator on the Pandora would run better than the N64 emulator on GP2X. Basically someone would have to be dedicated and write the thing tailored to the Pandora.
But anyways there will be plenty of other things to enjoy that will more easily be accomodated by the Pandora earlier in its lifecycle, so we should enjoy those first, regardless.

PokeParadox said:
Ryzure said:

Nice Brandon, nice. lol
DreamCast emulators on my PC from 5 years ago ran almost fullspeed... Chankast to be more precise and I don't recall my system specs then but... I think if someone has the time to invest... A DC emulator on the Pandora would run better than the N64 emulator on GP2X. Basically someone would have to be dedicated and write the thing tailored to the Pandora.
But anyways there will be plenty of other things to enjoy that will more easily be accomodated by the Pandora earlier in its lifecycle, so we should enjoy those first, regardless.

Chankast was also closed source, if I remember correctly.

-God Ginrai

Back