I didn't get a Pandora because...

I didnt preorder one for 2 reasons:
-I would like to see the final device (video/picture) before any decision
-I didnt have the money for that this month ...

So I'm waiting ... but keep informed

I've got a Zaurus SL-C3100 running pdaXrom, but compared to the Pandora it's not NEAR as powerful and costs over twice as much :D It's great for what it is, though. I know the Zaurus crew had started, or tried to start, soemthing like the Pandora and I thought the Pandora was it when I first read about it. I'd never even looked at the game park devices since they didn't have a keyboard which is probably my favorite feature of the Pandora. I plan to use it more as a umpc with gaming on the side myself :)

No idea where I am in line regarding the preorders, but I can't wait to play with this thing.

I just recently got interested in handheld devices for use with emulators...
It started when I saw the Icontrolpad for iPhone/iPodTouch ... I was wondering if I should get one...

Obviously I did not just go and buy one... the IControlPad still is not available AFAIK.
I searched around to see if there are any better alternatives.
The PSP seemed very nice too... but difficult to hack .. especially if you want a new model (PSP-3000) ... there is not telling when or even if those will be hackable
EEEPC is very powerful .. but due to the lack of integrated gaming controls together with its size and rather low batter life it's far from being a ultraportable gaming device

Pandora just seems to be the perfect compromise

And luckily my search for such a handheld began around 1 week before the preordering started.
Talk about timing :)

I was debating between an EEE and the Pandora. I need a computer of some sort. And it came up that It was the last day of preordering. So I just got it.

From the specs, the Pandora sounds like exactly what I want and need: I've been searching for a handheld portable computer that I could use for run general purpose tasks. I intend to use it for many things - from mundane tasks such as email and browsing to IRC, music, video, games, and even coding on the go.

In other words, I want a desktop computer that'll fit in my pocket.

I've been through organizers, phones, game platforms and over-the-top music devices - as well as a jailbroken iPhone, ofcourse. And in the end, all of these ended up disappointing:

They'd do what their main purpose was very well, but anything else that i'd try to do with them would come up short. The sad reality of the matter was that non of these devices were designed to be as general purpose as a desktop/laptop computer.

The Pandora looks like its going to change all that, and I am very interested.

So why didnt I pre-order?

Because I've learned my lesson with the GP2X: I was one of the first to pre-order it when the First Edition came out. I do like my GP2X, but the first edition has had some physical flaws that could not be corrected via firmware.

I am guessing that the Pandora may not go through the same process, since the people behind it seemed to have learned from Gamepark's initial design mistakes. But... just to be on the safe side...

I'll wait for the 2009 release.

PoisonedV said:
Kyosys said:
Stop it with the off topic

it's been reported twice
'how will we make blind, unsourced, anecdotal idle discussion about the pandora if they keep trying to have fun!'
When will you learn? This is an important thread in the main forum and will prove an invaluable resource for future users. :wink: What got reported twice, this topic or PoisonedV in general?

I'm guessing that as this is a Pandora forum, most posters either got one, intend to get one in the second batch or when funds allow, or are awaiting further developments.

I just could not miss out on the fun of being involved from the start. The second batch might turn out to be 'safer; or 'easier' but craigix has promised to look after the 'pioneers'. Thats good word as it does seem like an adventure.

If I have had more money to spare, it would be because I got the Everun Note, that thing would effectively end my need of a desktop tower.

Im so happy with my dad. Painting is his hobby and he makes like 1000 euro a month with it. So he always has money to buy fun things. He already gave me 200 euro and he is going to buy a Xbox 360 for me and my little sister to :D.

I had the money, I was more than ready to buy it. Then came the "Wiz", so I put off pre-ordering, thought I'd keep the leftover cash for something like an SDHC card. Biggest mistake I ever made. So now i need to wait until next year. Woo.

winterk said:
Because I've learned my lesson with the GP2X: I was one of the first to pre-order it when the First Edition came out. I do like my GP2X, but the first edition has had some physical flaws that could not be corrected via firmware.

I might point out that any major flaws are covered by a year-long warranty. Craig said at one point that he'd "take care of [us] pioneers". While this is unofficial, it does reflect a different attitude from GP2X.

That's why I'm not too worried. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back