Found Two Batteries For Pandora?

Consequence9 said:
No, but it's common-sense when dealing with chinese electronics. Fake SD cards (among other things) are often sold at full-price nowadays. These things are easily faked, and even if they aren't the build quality is often sub-par. Batteries are an especially big gamble; cells are often recycled & thus have a short life-span and a much greater chance of being faulty. Li-Po is especially nothing to mess around with; if faulty there can be explosive results. IMHO you'd be better off just paying the premium to guarantee you're getting a high-quality product with a substantial life-span.
You mean fake SD cards are often sold at full-price ON EBAY and by disreputable retailers.
I've never had or heard of anyone getting any flash memory from DX that was overrated, and I've ordered a few different flash memories from them.
The batteries are overrated though. But they usually specify themselves if they think an item is way overrated, and also the comments will let you know. Buying something on eBay doesn't give you this ability to read comments on the items.
I'm not completely pro-DX, I just think they're more trustworthy than other such companies for the most part.

Last edited by a moderator:
rabidpoobear said:
You mean fake SD cards are often sold at full-price ON EBAY and by disreputable retailers.
And also some third-parties on otherwise reputable sites such as Amazon, Play.com, and the like as well. They're all over the place.

(Please pardon my picking out this one particular quote in your post - it's not actually directed at you at all. I just want to nip in the bud any potential misconceptions from future readers about where these things are sold. :) )

The batteries are overrated though. But they usually specify themselves if they think an item is way overrated, and also the comments will let you know. Buying something on eBay doesn't give you this ability to read comments on the items.
There seem to be some other issues, too. :blink:

I'm not completely pro-DX, I just think they're more trustworthy than other such companies for the most part.
I feel the same about them, myself. I've had a few good things, and a couple of not so good things. I did receive a rather good, compact-sized arcade stick from them earlier, though, which I feel was a good buy. :D

Prometheus said:
There seem to be some other issues, too. :blink:

I feel the same about them, myself. I've had a few good things, and a couple of not so good things. I did receive a rather good, compact-sized arcade stick from them earlier, though, which I feel was a good buy. :D

Thanks for linking my old post so I didn't have to :p. And I would clearly not trust DX at all for batteries after seeing that. I have bought a few items from them before, and they turned up okay. /shrug.

Consequence9 said:
borgqueenx said:
Consequence9 said:
none of those are really the mah they claim to be, trust me, i've looked thru all the ones on dx. There is a real 18,000 mah one available from energizer here. it is pretty expensive ($179 usd) but at least you're getting what you pay for.
i have the experience with DX that they sell alot overrated batteries, but also the experience you get what you pay for.
20.000mah is 140 dollar. that sounds it could be genuine.

but did you test any of those 2 batteries?
No, but it's common-sense when dealing with chinese electronics. Fake SD cards (among other things) are often sold at full-price nowadays. These things are easily faked, and even if they aren't the build quality is often sub-par. Batteries are an especially big gamble; cells are often recycled & thus have a short life-span and a much greater chance of being faulty. Li-Po is especially nothing to mess around with; if faulty there can be explosive results. IMHO you'd be better off just paying the premium to guarantee you're getting a high-quality product with a substantial life-span.
I agree with you especially with the SD cards one of my friends bought some off brand that was about 10-15USD cheaper and with in a month it started acting up and kept needing to be formatted every time he would go to use it. I had always told him not to buy off brand stuff when it comes to something tech. So he proved me right and learned a lesson on that, so I would be safe and go with the energizer one, but to me the included battery is big enough, because right now I have a PSP and am use to a 3-4 hour life.(if that) :D

P.S. Beware of off brand Tech!!! :ph34r:

Guys, if you want more batteries, just buy them from Craig. Weren't they $19.99 each? Way more affordable than this...

Consequence9 said:
Yoyobuae said:
I just wonder if that is measured from the output of the 5V port? (ie. including the losses due to power supply).
I'm sure it is. I mean it's energizer, not some shady chinese no-brand.

oh please... so how is getting scammed by energizer any better than getting scammed by chinese??? :blink:
Energizer ain't all peaches & cream for that matter

Except that in Energizer's case, they are not strictly speaking scamming anyone, they provide all the facts for the consumer (it's D size, 1.2V and 2500mAh).

It's a little bit like saying that McDonalds is scamming every customer, since the burger on the picture looks bigger than the accual burger.
(or to be more accurate to the comparison, the burger size suggests more burger to be present in the wrapping :p )

While in the china-battery case, they are withholding important facts from the customer.

Dimacus said:
Except that in Energizer's case, they are not strictly speaking scamming anyone, they provide all the facts for the consumer (it's D size, 1.2V and 2500mAh).

It's a little bit like saying that McDonalds is scamming every customer, since the burger on the picture looks bigger than the accual burger.
(or to be more accurate to the comparison, the burger size suggests more burger to be present in the wrapping :p )

While in the china-battery case, they are withholding important facts from the customer.

Not really the case, as they charge 400% what a AA battery with the same capacity costs.

It'd be like McDonalds selling a Big Mac and a Super Big Mac. Big Mac costs $3, Super Big Mac costs $12. The only different? The box is slightly bigger on the second.

It's a downright scam, no matter which way you look at it..

Gary13579 said:
Not really the case, as they charge 400% what a AA battery with the same capacity costs.

It'd be like McDonalds selling a Big Mac and a Super Big Mac. Big Mac costs $3, Super Big Mac costs $12. The only different? The box is slightly bigger on the second.

That's not a scam if McDonald's is telling people right on the box how much it weighs. If people think the bigger box is worth more despite being able to see otherwise, that's just good marketing.
Telling people it's a 16 gig card when it's really a 4 gig card is a scam. You may not agree with Energizers marketing practices, but don't link "telling the truth but suggesting more" with "outright lying".

Well, they did advertise the correct battery capacity. If people buy them without understanding what they bought, it makes it easy to be deceived like this.

It's a company, they're supposed to do whatever they can to make more money, as long as it legal.

On the other side of the coin are the consumers, that are supposed to make an effort to get the best value for the money they pay. That means learning about the product they are buying, and understanding what is advertised on the packaging and such.

Companies love the lazy and dumb consumer, they don't ask too many questions. Why do you think there are so many "easy-to-use, no skill/learning/etc required" kinda products? Their just targetting the easiest market to make (more like take) money from.

WizardStan said:
Gary13579 said:

That's not a scam if McDonald's is telling people right on the box how much it weighs. If people think the bigger box is worth more despite being able to see otherwise, that's just good marketing.
Telling people it's a 16 gig card when it's really a 4 gig card is a scam. You may not agree with Energizers marketing practices, but don't link "telling the truth but suggesting more" with "outright lying".

Kinda like how variable APR is screwing over millions of Americans. It's a good thing that that isn't becoming illegal... oh wait, it is.

It's deceptive marketing, and it should be banned/illegal. Sure, the battery 'technically' says it's the same capacity as a AA, and yes people should think long and hard what variable interest rates mean... but the sad news is, a lot of people can't.

Dunno, that's kinda your decision to make. What use do plan for it?

Just keep in mind that the energy transfer from one battery to the involves losses. So maybe don't rely too much on recharging the Pandora's battery fully nearly twice. For the Iphone should be plenty, as it has a weaker battery.

Another thing to keep in mind is battery aging. Having too many batteries at once means that the maximum capacity of all of them will degrade with time. That though alone, made me reconsider the extra Pandora battery, but its only $20 so its ok (plus I plan taking good care of them).

But with a more expensive battery, the degradation might hurt a bit more. For now, I'm keeping away from external backup batteries.

Gary13579 said:
Kinda like how variable APR is screwing over millions of Americans. It's a good thing that that isn't becoming illegal... oh wait, it is.
I don't even know where to begin against such an absurd argument.

That's only 2,5x the size of Pandora's battery, not calculating losses (this one's @5V, pandora's 4000mAh is @3,7V).
Buying 3 additional Pandora-batteries is cheaper... (but that requires hibernating while switching batteries, and remembering to charge them once in a while...)
It might be of use for an IPhone, with its unreplaceable battery...

Back