About The Gui Development...

WhereMyArm

Still Fresh
Hello - I've been lurking for awhile, learning all I can about the Pandora, and I'm pretty excited about it.

I'd like to know, though: How far along is the GUI for the Pandora? What I'm trying to ascertain is if it's worth my time and everyone else's here to come up with yet another concept, or if it's already so far along that it wouldn't matter. And if it isn't too far along for this yet, I'll have more specific questions!

Craig says...
craigix said:
Just to let you all know we are watching and reading these threads, I might have something to show you this week.

To me that suggests that most of the big decisions have been made already (and the coding is well underway).

That doesn't mean it's too late to share ideas though. Just bring a thick skin to the party. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Gruso said:
Just bring a thick skin to the party. ;)
Deal. :p My other questions: will the operating system support font smoothing? Or are pixel-perfect fonts preferred? In either case, what is the minimum easily readable font size generally for this kind of display? I keep hearing about the insane pixel density and 800x480 does sound like quite a few to be packed into that size of a display.

EDIT: Oh wow, I didn't even see that thread you quoted, and that's almost exactly what I had in mind. Maybe I'll just add to that discussion then?

WhereMyArm said:
EDIT: Oh wow, I didn't even see that thread you quoted, and that's almost exactly what I had in mind. Maybe I'll just add to that discussion then?
Yep, that'd be the go! I should have provided an obvious link, full points to you for finding the tiny little one.

WhereMyArm said:
Deal. :p My other questions: will the operating system support font smoothing? Or are pixel-perfect fonts preferred? In either case, what is the minimum easily readable font size generally for this kind of display? I keep hearing about the insane pixel density and 800x480 does sound like quite a few to be packed into that size of a display.
I read my ebooks on my Nokia N800 (same resolution, slightly smaller screen) with a 19 point Bitstream Vera Serif font; for Times Roman 20 point was needed. Then again, I'm a bespectacled old fart, so there.

Trust me, antialiasing is not needed on these screens.

Karel Jansens said:
But entirely possible.

sindbad said:
Karel Jansens said:
But entirely possible.

Well... yes, obviously. But why? On this kind of screen, your eyes will be doing all the antialiasing; the effective resolution comes pretty close to a 300 dpi laser printer.

I just hope this "I might have something to show you this week." is referring to the announcement of an advanced skinning engine like XBMC uses--then we could have ALL the GUIs people have made. It might be a bit more resource intensive though...

...but now that I think about it; the xbox has half as much memory as this thing does, plus a stripped down version of Windows 2000 and still handles it fine.

Back