Join what has been split

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
As you should all know by now, we're moving the forum to a new forum software soon (XenForo), so we can all have a fast forum with proper editor again.

The importer is already working pretty well, so we're almost ready to go.

It will still take a few weeks (I still need to finish the themes, implement the Wiki, etc.) as I don't want to hurry, I want it to be thoroughly tested and working.

However, I thought to myself:

With Craig gone for a while now and the former GP32x slowly dying now: Why not try to rejoin both boards again?

Join what has been split. Let GP32x be archived here rather than being left alone in the dark. Many of the early members from here came from GP32 anyways, so why not merge their accounts as well?

So I did a test-import and created an example how this could work:

I joined the forums, included the Pandora / Offtopic / Development threads from GP32x into the ones from our boards and tried to properly include the other categories using tabs, so that the forums still stay clean.

You can take a look at the result here:

http://www.pyra-handheld.com/boards/

You can use your user to logon, you can already do test posts or browse through the boards. (Just remember that this is just a test, everything you post there will be deleted when we're ready to migrate).

The question is: What do YOU think?

Should we rejoin both boards?

Please vote and discuss.

Last edited by a moderator:
That sounds great, is there a way to attribute older posts on a different nickname to the one used here?

Wasn't there an earlier pandoraforum too?

http://boards.dingoonity.org runs on the FOSS simple machines forum. In an ideal world maybe that could be a joint effort. The difference i care to make of it is that there are a lot of china-made devices on equal terms with the real community-ware.

That sounds great, is there a way to attribute older posts on a different nickname to the one used here?

No, but why? It's still the same user who posted it :)

Wasn't there an earlier pandoraforum too?

Hmm... yes, a temporary one. I think I still got that one, could add that as well.

http://boards.dingoonity.org runs on the FOSS simple machines forum. In an ideal world maybe that could be a joint effort. The difference i care to make of it is that there are a lot of china-made devices on equal terms with the real community-ware.

I doubt they will join with us ;)

It would be nice if someone who has an old login can use it again. Whether they made the switch or not.

So that its one continuous forum, rather than two different forums with two logins, at any level.

That other Board still existed? Lol! Wasn't there for years!  :lol:

Well, New Forum looks decent and Editor seems to be usable. I like the return of a dedicated Editor Window with preview. :) BB code Editor is working, seems to be "hardcore" mode without any preset formating options (mark text and then simply format it but still in BB code displayed). 

I am all for a merge! I think we had a lot of fun times on gp32x.de back in the day and I'd love to know that it's not going to disappear silently. So just for archive purposes only, I am already all for it. And I will have around 2000 additional posts if user accounts get merged ^^. yay.

Sounds cool.  I hope somebody votes No, I would like to know what the dissenting opinion is if it's there.

The new theme looks worse to me, too round and bubbly, but it also handles space nicely and I can see more things at once, I can get used to it.

I voted yes.  (I don't see any reason not to do so)

That said, perhaps you should post a similar poll there? :)

-Neelix

Sounds cool.  I hope somebody votes No, I would like to know what the dissenting opinion is if it's there.

The new theme looks worse to me, too round and bubbly, but it also handles space nicely and I can see more things at once, I can get used to it.

The theme is far from being finished. It's been mostly color changes from the original one so far :)

I voted yes.  (I don't see any reason not to do so)

That said, perhaps you should post a similar poll there? :)

Yes, that's planned.

as there is no future without a past, i'm all for it.

I checked it out earlier.  Aside from dropping by there without knowing you were adding all the other stuff, everything worked fine and I figured out my way around pretty quickly.

As an archive, I would rather prefer it remaining separate. The look and feel of gp32x reminds me of the old days. This site does not. I will not be nostalgic over the early days on these boards, the posts will just be buried in the history without me thinking of them.

I could take it or leave it personally. A lot of painful memories of Pandora development are left behind there, however it's nice to occasionally dig through the past I guess. 

Back