Just a bunch of pics

It's aluminium - if you tried to anodise most steels you'd just end up with a rusty piece of metal. AIUI the protective oxide layer will rapidly grow enough to protect the underying raw metal immediately on exposure to the air, and gradually grow over time, making it effectively like stainless steel although via a different mechanism.

making it effectively like stainless steel although via a different mechanism.
Stainless steel is made stainless by choosing an alloy that prevents corrosion from happening in the first place, applying a protective layer on top of corroding material is the very definition of not being stainless.

In the end the protective oxide layer will only slow down the corrosion, just like hot-dip zinc galvanized iron will simply start to corrode at some point. However, aluminium takes ages to even show signs of corrosion even when constantly exposed to the weather outside - as in: decades. The protective oxide layer just works pretty well, but it's not perfect.

Yes, that's what I was saying when I said I think the oxide layer will grow. Unless you soak it in something that doesn't have a lot of oxygen in it, it'll just form aluminium oxide with is basically colourless. Eventually, the oxide layer will be a significant percentage of the mass, and by that time it'll have changed the underlying shape quite a lot.

The top of the Washington Monument is aluminium, and has been there for about 135 years now which puts it pretty much there at the earliest we've been able to efficiently produce the stuff, and has not become observably any less pointy over that time as far as I know.

it'll just form aluminium oxide with is basically colourless. Eventually, the oxide layer will be a significant percentage of the mass, and by that time it'll have changed the underlying shape quite a lot.
At some point it will start to be perceivable as a white powder, that happens a lot earlier than the point where you'd notice an actual deformation.

@rygD As I understand it, anodizing produces an oxide layer, which then is a very good substrate for dye but also means physical protection. Wouldn't hen sanding the coloured part off mean getting rid of that protective layer and reducing the overall material.

Nevermind, it just occured to me, that we are talking about the logo plate. For some reason I had casing in mind.
I dunno, but I have other things made of anodized aluminum that I have sanded down and one is still doing fine around ten years later. I also have a couple of bare aluminum bottles that haven't degraded other than picking up scratches. I looked into it once and was reminded that many airplanes have a skin of aluminum, sometimes without paint, plus there are camper trailers that are aluminum, and all of those last fine because supposedly the aluminum alloy used develops an oxide layer when it is exposed to water, and it doesn't degrade anymore after that. Also the top of the Washington Monument is aluminum, although I didn't actually look into how that is faring. I see Levi already mentioned it.

What is the body of a Delorean made of?

Yes, that's what I was saying when I said I think the oxide layer will grow. Unless you soak it in something that doesn't have a lot of oxygen in it, it'll just form aluminium oxide with is basically colourless. Eventually, the oxide layer will be a significant percentage of the mass, and by that time it'll have changed the underlying shape quite a lot.

The top of the Washington Monument is aluminium, and has been there for about 135 years now which puts it pretty much there at the earliest we've been able to efficiently produce the stuff, and has not become observably any less pointy over that time as far as I know.
It last 135 years but now it may not survive long...;)

Last edited:
Is this Metal Frame around the Logo Stainless??
The Pyra should be quite long living, you can change the CPU Board and the Battery, whitout the need of a new device
But I don’t want a rusty Pyra in 20 Years..

I think stainless steel is not required as we'll *try*not use the pyra in super chemically aggresive environments, and even though it's just a logo, keep in mind steel is like 3x more mass by volume than aluminium. For a pocket device, this can be important.

Also if it's aluminium, and we get the design (.dxf would be great, but any vector graphics and one reference size will do), we may order it locally and replace it :).

Any small laser (or waterjet, or milling plotter/router) shop will be able to cut this. And even if they say "okay but I won't make any money of it, please pay for a full sheet (4,0x2,0x0,05m) of these", then heck, even an advertising agency with a CNC engraver or small laser cutter will do it piece by piece. There are youtube tutorials on home-anodizing of small elements (anodizing with coloring too), and in every city all around there's bound to be a lot of paint shops which do powder coating, so You may even order a textured or glittering or glow in the dark/thermo-actiavated pigment logo.

Hypothetically about whether anodized alumunium will be durable (spoiler because it's long and rather boring):
I work in the aluminium window, door and curtain wall industry. Profile suppliers (extrusion plants) offer their systems in anodized finish, where it's usually done by subcontractors who offer usually 5 years of warranty (even at seaside regions) for color stability, passivated surface thickness, and impendance of some types of corrosion that occurs in aluminium (I am not sure about the types, but I think the general appearance is that steel corrodes at the surface, while aluminium corrodes in its inner structure and hence as been said- doesn't *exhibit* corrosion so fast. But don't take my word). Why am I saying this? Because if they give 5 years in an industry where replacing anything (because of misjudging warranty time) costs big money, and if they give 5 years for these qualities in a long bar that comes in batches of 6.5 meters, and if by definition it's a product that will be suffering from rain, dust etc., then I think we may generally expect a small logo to last at least as long as that, even if the layer will be smaller because of technological reasons. But really, it's aggressive environment, not humidity per say, that damages it.

Mybe, the Better Term i wantet to mention was "Rustfree Steel", but as the Logo Frame will be out of Aluminium, it shouldnt rust at all..

Also Rustfree isnt the best:
The French Knife Trademark "Opinel" is famous for its Pocketknifes whit Blades out of carbonsteel, which can rust, but therefore, they can get pretty sharp..

Yes I understood You well. Rostfrei/inox indeed isn't always the best material, because of what You said. There are different carbon steels for kitchen knives, different for "knives" in farming plows and for excavators, and different to be resistant to stretching, and there is as big a world of "noble" (rust-free under normal use, rust-free when under big temperatures....) steel so yeah, depends on where we use it...

Generally though, since we aren't making a structural element or an element which will plow, we can just focus and have fun with the visuals like @mclien envisions!

As the logo is something, you look at when you get the Pyra, but dotnt care when you use it for some time, its not that inportant for users, so its not wort another 6 x 2 Months (tm) Delay,
As long its dotnt fell of..

This Logo isnt useless, its ment to anoying Apple Hippster at MC Donalds,
I remember that i used my Pandora at MC Donalds to surf the Internet, in the time bevore i got my first Smartphone (Xperia Play),
Apple Hippsters use they MC Book to surf the Internet at Mac Donalds too..,

Back