Just An Idea?

taintedclarity

Still Fresh
Just an idea but a serious one. Does anyone besides me think it would be awesome if the preorders for the pandora were announced on these boards a week or even a few days before the emails go out or they mention it on openpandora.org? Kinda allow the loyal fans to try it out first and then after we get our chance, the rest of the world can preorder? :rolleyes:

Again, Just a thought. Don't flame me B)

*Lights up the motolov cocktail and hides it when threadstarter notices the flame...*

Oops I mean... ummm... yea yea... great idea!! Would be great to get a heads up ahead of others! :D

That's the idea of the mailing list. Only the serious ones will voluntarily join it.

Announcing pre-orders on this board would lead to a lot of confusion as people have to dig through a topic after navigating to a particular forum. Sending the e-mails will be a lot more regimented and should lessen the clutter on the board when it starts.

it's the internet, it would only last a few hours before the news founds it way to sites like digg
therefore it's better to announce it official to avoid confusion and wrong facts being spread around.

They said they will send out a test email before the email stating that we can preorder. That will be the minimum "warning" everyone will receive.

But I agree it would be nice to ensure we get will get one. Theres some debate as to how popular the console will be and how quickly it will sell out. For the sake of the devs and more importantly the console, I hope it is popular and sells out quickly :)

greendots said:
They said they will send out a test email before the email stating that we can preorder. That will be the minimum "warning" everyone will receive.

But I agree it would be nice to ensure we get will get one. Theres some debate as to how popular the console will be and how quickly it will sell out. For the sake of the devs and more importantly the console, I hope it is popular and sells out quickly :)

Hopefully not before I can get mines.

Last edited by a moderator:
taintedclarity said:
Does anyone ... think it would be awesome if the preorders for the pandora were announced
I prefer this edit^. Yes, that would be awesome. :)
And like almost everyone else, I am less concerned about how they do it as long as I get a shot at being in the first 3000. ;) They've already said it will be notified by email to those that have registered, and there will be at least one email before pre-orders to test. It would seem wrong to change that now.

taintedclarity said:
Just an idea but a serious one. Does anyone besides me think it would be awesome if the preorders for the pandora were announced on these boards a week or even a few days before the emails go out or they mention it on openpandora.org? Kinda allow the loyal fans to try it out first and then after we get our chance, the rest of the world can preorder? :rolleyes:

A problem: Some people might be serious fans of Pandora, but seriously not fans of boards like this one. Those people won't visit. And some people might only visit the boards when they have free time -- if they're busy at work or school that week, they won't notice.

Anyway, I think there's a better way to sort out loyal fans. Craig has stated that the preorder price will be the full price (http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?s=&am...st&p=635553).

Given the way Craig hints around we may get the general idea that "something is up", that is just about as good as an announcement of pre-orders.

I think it would only be fair to officially announce via the emails, that way nobody is upset, it is upfront the way it is supposed to be.

Speaking of pre-orders, it sucks if they start them in late august, as I will be away without internet access, so I will most likely miss out on the first batch :(

PSyMastR said:
Speaking of pre-orders, it sucks if they start them in late august, as I will be away without internet access, so I will most likely miss out on the first batch :(
I've just realised this may apply to me too... damn. I'm off from the 26th to the 3rd. Gah... oh well, if I have to wait for the second batch, then it's no biggie. There'll be more software by then anyway.

But I shall be most peeved.

Tobriand said:
PSyMastR said:
I've just realised this may apply to me too... damn. I'm off from the 26th to the 3rd. Gah... oh well, if I have to wait for the second batch, then it's no biggie. There'll be more software by then anyway.

But I shall be most peeved.

Ask a friend to monitor your email, or have them sign up for it as well, and buy it for you if it comes up while you're away.

I also will be away from interweb access from the 23rd of August to the 31st, and will be upset if preorders start then.

Jaxartes said:
taintedclarity said:

A problem: Some people might be serious fans of Pandora, but seriously not fans of boards like this one.

So? If they're not active on the board, they're probably not active in the community (i.e. the direction of Pandora, giving design advice, development, general input, etc.). When he says loyal fans, I think of those people, not someone who wants a launch unit, signs up for the mailing list, and isn't heard of until they get the preorder call. Personally, I think this is a great idea to give regulars and active members an extra heads-up as to when Pandora is coming.

MilanC said:
*erm... where should I go to subscribe to preorder mailing-list?*
You need to go and enter your e-mail address in the "Newsletter:" box located in the top right-hand corner of OpenPandora.org. ;)

PSyMastR said:
Tobriand said:
I've just realised this may apply to me too... damn.
What if a community member stepped up and bought you guys your Pandora's on pre-order day? Someone trustworthy could accept the funds ahead of time.

Yea, probably a bad idea. :p

Back