Just Bought A Gamecube

Squidge

Certified Guru
Website
Visit site
But I think I want to try developing something for it, so anyone here know any essentials?

Also, anyone know if it's possible to run one of these on a PC monitor instead of a TV?

Congrats on the purchase, I'm sure you might even find some really cheap games you might want to play on it.

As for use on a monitor I think he only solution is the same one that's been around for months, a VGA box or something (I forget the exact name but it's just a converter for the regular signal to computer monitors).

Here's one of them:
http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-86-77-...ter-70-5w4.html

As for creating Apps, good luck!

Maybe you want to chip it, or want to softmod it with gcos&ar to play "backups" and homebrew. also its nice to mod the gc to hell, there are some very cool gcmods arround, www.ngcdev.com may have a competition regrading hardware modding soon.
also visit my site for some tutorials http://snakecompatible.ngcdev.com.
I also sugest you to read brakkens faq downloadable at http://www.ngcdev.com.
If you want a modchip for your cube i sugest you the qoob chip, cheapest place is www.foundmy.com
Tto connect teh gc to the tv you can modify a component cable yourself (ask google for it) or buy a premade vga cable, but not all games work by vga, so you should also be able to play at a tv, or you get a external tv->vga converter, but that hurts quality.
You may also want to visit #gcdev and #gcmods at efnet

nothing, you can also play othe regions unchiped.
but the boot proces is faster, and you dont have to swap. also qoob will have a media player.

bought some cables and a vga box at the moment. the vga box cost more than the console! :eek:

Mind, £31 for a GameCube isn't bad, and the cables and vga box are compatible with other stuff too.

Homebrew on Gamecube is coming along nicely, welcome to the club.

You might want to visit GCDev.com

SD Memory Card Loader is becoming the most popular way of loading code to the GC, followed by the Phantasy Star Online loophole and then the Viper/Cobra chip mods. I use the SD adapter, an SD card and Action replay and takes a few seconds to load SNES, Megadrive or other code (Doom port for example)

Devkits for Gamecube ;)

yeh, thats the one, I got mine from my local GAME for a tenner, so that might be worth a try before you go for this. Also any revision of AR works with the SD loader method.

You need to load 29 action replay codes the very first time, but then its saved from then on.

Liksang sent me my SD memory card adapter within a week, I think they have a European distribution centre or something (?)

20030409.jpg

Attachments

• 20030409.jpg
    20030409.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 116
Ah right, so your basically using the AR to overwrite code in the GC's ram with your own to make it run the sdloader stuff? Nice.

Liksang have the SD adaptors in stock, but not in there european store, so it'll probably take a week or so to arrive. I'll have a look elsewhere first.

Nice cartoon find by the Firefly1201 :)

VGA boxes are huge wastes of money and generally deliver absolutely terrible quality images. Pretty much black and white with some colour around the lightest parts. It's also not the 'only' way to connect to a PC monitor - get a PCTV card! I suggest the Pinnacle PCTV Rave, then install DScaler which is slightly better than the default software. Or maybe you don't have a PC running near it, in which case I'd buy a TV.

loz_the_guru posted on Apr 11 2005 at 12:50 AM said:
What can you do having chipped it that you cant do anyway, besides playing imports? Im sure "backup" GC games are few and far between.
Not true.

Last edited by a moderator:
GC ISO's and assorted other crap have been pretty common for about 1.5 to 2 years, you just have to look, and it isn't even hard to find them.

On a burnt DVD using your Viper, you need to remove the case if you are using full sized ones though. I would not reccomend mini-dvd's, as they get read errors more.

if its a uk one you can mod a RGB lead that will output to an monitor
if its US then you need an expensive component cable.

shout if you need the pinouts

ooh, that sounds like it's worth a go. It's a UK GC, and I'm guessing it's only going to come with a crappy aerial connection, so I need the buy the RGB from somewhere before modding it?

The reason I don't want to run it to a tv is that I want it on my work desk to play with, and since I use two tft's, I was thinking of using one of those to connect to the gc when playing around with it.

Back