Just Found My Gp32!

CRWoody

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
WOW! I'm moving house, so whilst cleaning out the attic I came across my old gp32.

I must admit, I forgot I had the little thing.

Just spent the last hour playing pinball dreams and sonic on DrMD.

This then brought my mind into thinking about this site. My how it has changed! It's been four years since I've last been here!

Anyway, my only point to this post, is to say the GP32 is still a great handheld.

/off to beat my high score on Nightmare now...

Edit for the maths fail.

Nice to see you again. There's not much action in the GP32 arena anymore. If you are interested, I released MAME for the GP32 a while ago, and will be releasing an updated version very soon.

Oh, the GP32! Still my favorite one, maybe just because of nostalgy. It really had a great mega drive emulator for it's time, I spent endless hours playing Streets of Rage 2 on it. Doom and Quake was very impressive for it's time. There were nice apps to play music from 8bits, 16bits and MP3, OGG and everything. There were also few demos that I liked watching. And coding was interesting on it (like having a 486 without 3d accelerator and having to optimize stuff). I remember the community, how new and great that thing was, when only GBA was on the play at the time and you couldn't imagine a handheld could run so many emulators and utilities and stuff so fast then.

Unfortunatelly my GP32 died last year. When I turn it on it stays in a white screen, it doesn't even display the logo or something. I haven't updated any firmware or something. I was just playing megadrive emulator at 156Mhz for the nth time and it started freezing. It happened a lot of times lately. After the last time it happened I couldn't run anything again. Hmm,. it's 5 years since I got it. For 5 years I was using it excessively with overclocking at it's limits. Now I see at which time the machine dies if you overclock a lot. 5 years is not a bad period though. But I miss my GP32. I am wondering if the other devices die becuase of overclocking. But maybe it's not for that, maybe there is another reason why my GP32 died?

I will definitely search ebay to buy another one used one day..

Optimus said:
Oh, the GP32! Still my favorite one, maybe just because of nostalgy. It really had a great mega drive emulator for it's time, I spent endless hours playing Streets of Rage 2 on it. Doom and Quake was very impressive for it's time. There were nice apps to play music from 8bits, 16bits and MP3, OGG and everything. There were also few demos that I liked watching. And coding was interesting on it (like having a 486 without 3d accelerator and having to optimize stuff). I remember the community, how new and great that thing was, when only GBA was on the play at the time and you couldn't imagine a handheld could run so many emulators and utilities and stuff so fast then.

Unfortunatelly my GP32 died last year. When I turn it on it stays in a white screen, it doesn't even display the logo or something. I haven't updated any firmware or something. I was just playing megadrive emulator at 156Mhz for the nth time and it started freezing. It happened a lot of times lately. After the last time it happened I couldn't run anything again. Hmm,. it's 5 years since I got it. For 5 years I was using it excessively with overclocking at it's limits. Now I see at which time the machine dies if you overclock a lot. 5 years is not a bad period though. But I miss my GP32. I am wondering if the other devices die becuase of overclocking. But maybe it's not for that, maybe there is another reason why my GP32 died?

I will definitely search ebay to buy another one used one day..

Hey, I totally agree on that. I loved coding on it as it was so much like in MS-DOS on an old PC :) It is a pity the scene had ebbed so completely.
I am sorry for your GP32, sure you will get another one on ebay or such places. I have never been much into overclocking it and it still seems to be healthy. Even got an XD2SMC adapter and two 128MB XD cards for it recently, despite having forgotten how to prepare the cards to use them in the GP32, the launcher and such. But anyway, it still has a lot to offer, the mentioned Genesis emulator and music players that allow various formats including SAP and SID. The only thing I still miss is Pinball Dreams, which I somehow omitted to buy at the time and it it no longer possible these days. I wonder if in this case some sort of unlocking the protection of the game wouldn't be legal or at least morally ok. I tried with the file several times but always failed at getting anywhere with it..
EDIT: My thanks go to the two friendly guys who helped me out! My GP32 is the so called BLU+, so the game lack any usable sound, but I nevertheless appreciate your help :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I know many people here hate AAs now with the GP2X requiring 2400mAh+ batteries that get chewed in no time, but they were perfect for the GP32. It was so power efficient I don't remember ever needing more than a spare pair even when traveling.

Now with our super new handheld (Pandora) even we had to go to custom batteries :(

After a healthy few days of using it. It's back being boxed up while I move.
Plus I've ran out of batteries.

The funny thing is that my 9 year old daughter has played with it more so than me! Even though it did give her a shock when she found out she can't use a stylis on the screen. (bloody nintendo!) Sonic and toe jam have had a good going at from her.

Now my only problem is that since I've returned to this site, I'm looking at spending some money on a new handheld.

I'm looking at you, Wiz and Pandora....! (Already had the gp2x f100)

@slaanesh

Thanks for the heads up, sadly I have no card reader (not that I can find) but when I'm settled in, I'll give it a look at, thanks.

Well almost two years have passed since I've posted here.! (Times flys)

My Gp32 is now dead after 6 years.

RIP GP32, gone but not forgotten.

Hah, great story - welcome back. When you do finally get a Pandora I hope you enjoy the hell out of the fact that its got its own compiler onboard .. ;)

BTW, what about Caanoo?

Back