just spent an hour building open webos; underwhelmed.

monstercameron

Website
www.thinkteletronics.com
I wanted to give open webos a go, so I followed the build instructions and had it running. In the end -although I know its more of a proof of concept- I was seriously underwhelmed, even android runs better on my system.I messed up a couple of times, missed a few steps and my pc over heated. video in spoiler, it is around 40mins.

skip to 35mins to see webos

Last edited by a moderator:
webOS is a really neat OS, sadly unsupported by HP, with poor hardware and update support. I've developed several apps and games for webOS devices (Palm Pre phones, HP TouchPad etc.) and it's a much better OS than Android or iOS and developing on/for it is a breeze with no hoops to jump through via Apple or Google (or license fees).

It's a shame that it is such a system hog, but it's still very useable, even on a low spec phone like the Pixi.

webOS is a really neat OS, sadly unsupported by HP, with poor hardware and update support. I've developed several apps and games for webOS devices (Palm Pre phones, HP TouchPad etc.) and it's a much better OS than Android or iOS and developing on/for it is a breeze with no hoops to jump through via Apple or Google (or license fees).

It's a shame that it is such a system hog, but it's still very useable, even on a low spec phone like the Pixi.
Do you see things like the Firefox Phone OS or Samsung's Tizen (which rely on HTML5) being system hogs as well? At least compared to iOS or Android NDK apps?

I've never used Firefox Phone OS or Samsungs Tizen so can't say. I was talking about the OS itself, not the apps. I've not developed native HTML apps, but I do know that some browsers (on fairly high spec machine) struggle to run them at full speed. Interestingly, one of those browsers is Firefox...

I suspect that while they might use as much CPU as webOS, the phones that ran webOS were massively underpowered compared to those around today, so I doubt that newer OS's will have the same problems that webOS devices had. HP even knew this when releasing the TouchPad (and killed it within one week) and killed the Pre3 BEFORE it was actually launched.

I've never used Firefox Phone OS or Samsungs Tizen so can't say. I was talking about the OS itself, not the apps. I've not developed native HTML apps, but I do know that some browsers (on fairly high spec machine) struggle to run them at full speed. Interestingly, one of those browsers is Firefox...

I suspect that while they might use as much CPU as webOS, the phones that ran webOS were massively underpowered compared to those around today, so I doubt that newer OS's will have the same problems that webOS devices had. HP even knew this when releasing the TouchPad (and killed it within one week) and killed the Pre3 BEFORE it was actually launched.
I dont have much to comment on here but I did mess around with the ffos simulator.

yeh, but you have to differentiate. WebOS is not Open WebOS which is financed by HP as a community porject. They concentrate on providing an OS but don't try to bring out any devices nor support them.

http://www.openwebosproject.org/

another interesting feature is enyo, a really cool object oriented framework for creating apps based on HTML, CSS and Java Script!

cross-platform support list:

http://enyojs.com/docs/platforms/

Last edited by a moderator:
Back