Just A Couple Of Ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemcott

Still Fresh
has anyone done anything with Google's Android? It's linux based, and it runs on a lot of ARM cell phones. It has an already pretty good dev community to boot. (Secretly, it has the added bonus feature of multitouch for that pandora 2 :p )

Virtual OS enviroments. why aren't these any easier to emulate with than building an emulator? I've used virtual OSs before and with a little tweaking, couldn't we run a custom PSP firmware (say M33 for example) in a vitual OS, instead of trying to build a program from the ground up except for the initial environment? Granted for the DS it would be a little harder as the firmware isn't exactly floating around and would have to be manually ripped from a console.

speaking of the DS, as far as the "oh-it-could-someday-maybe-but-it's-tough" shtick goes, the other problem I've been hearing is how to physically play the thing on the pandora's widescreen... why not just stack the two screens side by side. the added bonus for this would be to add the option to have the touchscreen on the right or left side for the south-pawers, while still making it comfortable for everyone to use the buttons in the same way as the ds would.

Projects I'd like to work on as soon as I get my pre-ordered Pandora (or a devboard if anyone is tired of their's *winkwinknudgenudge*) :

Built in Camera (will try to get it to swivel for user and crowd photos) most likely wont be over anything the average camera could handle, I'd say 3.1mp as a limit, 2.5mp as a goal (from a money/time standpoint)

GBA link port (will just desolder from my old SP, I would need help getting the script into the emulator for that though, it'd be nice for 2 people with a pandora actually use them like a real GBA/GBC, although a Bluetooth hack would be just as efficient). this would also open the doors for more accessories like lights, etc.

I already have a game in the works for pandora (nope, not an April fools joke, I'll most likely post more about it in the next couple of days)

I will be making molds of the case and remaking them in a wide gamut of colors. I'm hoping to get access to make parts of the case out of light metal for added strength, but my main focus is different color Pandora cases that people could mod their's with. (I'd have to check with the big guys to see if me selling this is alright, The main devs have been good about this type of stuff so far, so I don't expect much confrontation)

as I was thinking about this today and typing on my HP tx2117cl... I really wanted the pandora to have a swivel'ed lid, so you can fold it for tablet use... then I found the sad state of why the pandora can't have it.
well, there's no law against doing it yourself, so I'm gonna order a couple parts and see If I can throw a tutorial together so other people can make their Pandora a tablet. this is really helpful for me as a Conceptual/entertainment design artist, and I expect to use Gimp A LOT on the pandora as a mini sketchbook.

I'm so excited :D

Last edited by a moderator:
'Lemdora' said:
has anyone done anything with Google's Android? It's linux based, and it runs on a lot of ARM cell phones. It has an already pretty good dev community to boot. (Secretly, it has the added bonus feature of multitouch for that pandora 2 :p )
Why should it be used instead than Angstrom/Matchbox?

'Lemdora' said:
Virtual OS enviroments. why aren't these any easier to emulate with than building an emulator? I've used virtual OSs before and with a little tweaking, couldn't we run a custom PSP firmware (say M33 for example) in a vitual OS, instead of trying to build a program from the ground up except for the initial environment? Granted for the DS it would be a little harder as the firmware isn't exactly floating around and would have to be manually ripped from a console.
In order to perform virtualization a) the CPU you're virtualizing must be 100% compatible with the CPU you're virtualizating on and B) the CPU you're virtualizing on has to have full support for virtualization. Neither of these things are the case on Pandora with respect to PSP. Also, virtualizing a PC on a PC works well because the support hardware tends to be compatible from the target to the host, so a lot of it can be passed through without heavy emulation. Not so in this case...

If you think about it, virtualization is basically only being used where you want to run software (like an OS) that would otherwise have no problem running on that platform anyway, but you want to run it within a sandbox environment. It's not the magic a lot of people think it is and there's a reason it hasn't displaced emulators in any other circumstances.

Anyway, if there were an easier way to run PSP apps on very different hardware then someone would be doing it on something by now. No dice.

first of all, pandora 2 talk is frowned upon by some members of this forum.

no one is currently working on a ds emulator, if someone does, you can suggest your ideas there.

NO built in camera, there was a thread a few days ago about this and not many people will care about it.

i'm pretty sure using a gba link port will get someone in trouble with the big N. also, no gba emulator is currently being worked on.

i would not recommend modifying the screen in any way as i've heard it's messy work and it's very possible to break the pandora.

Exophase: aaahhh... okay, that makes since. I've never really done anything with a VOS except use it to check out and install programs I don't know too well. thanks for the info.

I just simply like Android's interface, and it natively supports a lot of what the pandora does to. Although I do like the added bonus of pure FireFox and true office programs instead of cellphone apps, other than that, yeah I just think it looks pretty lol.

Xian Long:

no one is currently working on a ds emulator, if someone does, you can suggest your ideas there.

NO built in camera, there was a thread a few days ago about this and not many people will care about it.

i'm pretty sure using a gba link port will get someone in trouble with the big N. also, no gba emulator is currently being worked on.

i would not recommend modifying the screen in any way as i've heard it's messy work and it's very possible to break the pandora.

oops, sorry, I was just messing around for giggles and grins... I'll try to watch that (I don't really know why... but I won't question)

oh, I thought there were some projects..., albeit not going very smooth, but still in development. most post's I've seen about it have been quickly shot down with "it's nearly impossible" so I could see why most people have discouraged themselves.

if other people don't care about it, then it doesn't bother me. I think it'd still be cool to have, and I'll still post a tut if anyone is still interested.

as long as I'm not selling it, just telling people how to do it with their own legitimately purchased parts, I don't see what legal leg Ninty has to stand on. besides we're all just emulating... *ahem* homebrew and freeware, correct? (but that topic is for a different thread...)

The only messiness I've seen was EvilDragon's mishap with the cable. I've modified hinges in the past (made a modbook for a friend so he didn't have to spend that exorbitant price tag on installation, along with installing a touchscreen into my car, that when swiveled closed, was almost seamless into the dash). If all else fails, I plan on making molds for the plastic before hand and having a couple extra cases around for emergency, and I hope to find the same ribbon cables somewhere, or just ask where the devs bought them.

Gruso:[b/]
oh wow. I guess we're closer than I thought, from what the video shows and what the devs said, it's pretty alpha right now to get it fully up and running to 100% of what I think it should look like, but I think it might just be because they're using it on such a large screen that it wasn't able to support...

also on my own note, I forgot to add in this question: will the Pandora be able to boot from another source? I.E. if I had saaayy... Ubuntu installed on my flash drive, could I boot from that instead of having to install it over/with the OEM operating system?

'Xian Long' said:

I'm pretty sure gpSP does GBA (never used it, so not sure). Also, there's absolutely no need for a real link cable port, you'd be able to use WiFi or Bluetooth for emulated GB/GBA connectivity, assuming the emulator has support.

gpSP was for the gp2x though, but it could probably be ported. however, i don't think it has multi-player support, someone was asking about that earlier (for their pokemans)

'Lemdora' said:
also on my own note, I forgot to add in this question: will the Pandora be able to boot from another source? I.E. if I had saaayy... Ubuntu installed on my flash drive, could I boot from that instead of having to install it over/with the OEM operating system?
I think the Pandora can boot from USB, just make sure you've installed the ARM remix of Ubuntu on the flash drive, not the x86 one.
I don't officially know what it can boot from, but USB flash booting is pretty common these days, and it's not like it's a gamebreaker if it doesn't boot from those.

'Lemdora' said:

Yep! You'll be able to boot a different OS from SD card (and USB too I guess).

At some point I'd like to have an Ubuntu SD and an Android SD, for show and tell if nothing else.

'Xian Long' said:
gpSP was for the gp2x though, but it could probably be ported. however, i don't think it has multi-player support, someone was asking about that earlier (for their pokemans)
Hah. Exophase is the developer of gpSP. (He posted above.) I'm sure he's porting it to the Pandora. In fact, I'm pretty sure he's mentioned before that he's going to port it. Check the emulator list (should be able to find it in the supersticky in general).

i see. why do i keep on thinking it was Squidge? oh well. anyways, i'm pretty sure he said that there is no multiplayer support for gpSP.

'Vorporeal' said:
'Xian Long' said:
Hah. Exophase is the developer of gpSP. (He posted above.) I'm sure he's porting it to the Pandora. In fact, I'm pretty sure he's mentioned before that he's going to port it. Check the emulator list (should be able to find it in the supersticky in general).

It'll actually be a lot of work before I'm happy with gpSP again but if I don't get to it zodttd will port the GP2X version. He'll probably have my blessing on that anyway, I don't really mind that as an interim version before I get back to it, as long as now one yells at me for it (it won't be nearly as good as it could be though :/ ... just GP2X version but ~2x faster than at 200MHz, hopefully)

About the Nintendo DS possibility:

As far as i can see it there are three problems:

1 No one has announced that he will working on creating / porting an nds emu
2 the pandora beeing able to possibly run a nds emulator
3 Bring both screens on one screen

1 I've learned yesterday about a nds emulator named NO$GBA. It's partially free to use, but sadly closed source software - so "simple" porting is no option. After a quick sweep via google I found out that the emu has an opengl renderer, but I don't know anything about the hardware requirements. I don't know if the pandora dev fund was a success or not, or if all the money is allready planned in for something, but maybe the author could be persuaded to do a port.
2 no clue about it
3 If the wikipedia entry about the Nintendo DS is correct both screens have a resolution of 256 × 192. So with 2*192 = 384 pixels both would fit on the screen of the pandora in their "natural" orientation, but I'm wondering if the screens physical size is too small to make this a viable option. Juxtaposing the screens is no option for me, because the sole reason I'm interested in nds emulation is Contra 4.

A recent discussion without a happy ending for DS emulation:
CODE

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=46512&hl=

Regarding the gameboy link cable, it's nothing more than a serial port. The Pandora already has a serial port on the ext connector. You need a special cable (not yet available) to use it, but it's there. If you absolutely must use a cable instead of an adhoc or bluetooth connection, you can use that. You can even use that GB link port as some kind of adapter if you really want that authentic cable feeling.

'WizardStan' said:
Regarding the gameboy link cable, it's nothing more than a serial port. The Pandora already has a serial port on the ext connector. You need a special cable (not yet available) to use it, but it's there. If you absolutely must use a cable instead of an adhoc or bluetooth connection, you can use that. You can even use that GB link port as some kind of adapter if you really want that authentic cable feeling.
This "nothing more than a serial port" has a lot of abstractions implemented in hardware that you definitely want to follow making it look more like parallel transfers. No one wants to use UART on the Pandora for this, they'd want to use it over wireless which could end up having very real latency problems compared to a GBA. Getting emulated timing even remotely right in general is going to be hard even if the transport mechanism doesn't hold you back.

thatgui: DeSmuME is an open source DS emulator. I did put some DS full screencaps on my 605 (same screen) http://i38.tinypic.com/2prhhxi.jpg it's perfectly usable this way (if only a touch screen game, buttons would be a huge problem here), but the other orientation at 1:1 was too small. Doubling one screen and 1:1ing the other, with the ability to switch, would be the way to go.

'Gruso' said:
[Yep! You'll be able to boot a different OS from SD card (and USB too I guess).

At some point I'd like to have an Ubuntu SD and an Android SD, for show and tell if nothing else.
You ought to be able to boot GRUB (or LILO) and have both on the same card provided you have space. Right?

Pandora is using something exactly like Uboot, I heard it's called Uboot, actually.
Uboot doesn't seem to support multibooting.

'thatgui' said:
About the Nintendo DS possibility:

As far as i can see it there are three problems:

1 No one has announced that he will working on creating / porting an nds emu
2 the pandora beeing able to possibly run a nds emulator
3 Bring both screens on one screen

1 I've learned yesterday about a nds emulator named NO$GBA. It's partially free to use, but sadly closed source software - so "simple" porting is no option. After a quick sweep via google I found out that the emu has an opengl renderer, but I don't know anything about the hardware requirements. I don't know if the pandora dev fund was a success or not, or if all the money is allready planned in for something, but maybe the author could be persuaded to do a port.
2 no clue about it
3 If the wikipedia entry about the Nintendo DS is correct both screens have a resolution of 256 × 192. So with 2*192 = 384 pixels both would fit on the screen of the pandora in their "natural" orientation, but I'm wondering if the screens physical size is too small to make this a viable option. Juxtaposing the screens is no option for me, because the sole reason I'm interested in nds emulation is Contra 4.

A recent discussion without a happy ending for DS emulation:
CODE

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=46512&hl=
the pandora should be able to emulate the ds. however the guy who made NO$GBA has dropped off the face of the planet for whatever reason.

actually, i think it would be possible to have a button (or flick a nub or something) to "switch" screens of the nds emulation for games like phoenix wright or kirby super star ultra.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back