"Just Wow!" - A tale of terrible customer service!

what do you know about the interner!? you like to put horse penis in your anus! welcome to the real internet, bro!

Another follow-up, this one with the fellow calling out those who caught him red-handed as "unprofessional", and stating that if he'd known who Mike Krahulik was, he wouldn't have done it (basically, the very same "Sorry he got caught" thing that Mr. Krahulik had previously described the apology as).

EDIT: Whoops! I forgot that Stan had mentioned this on the first page. Still, the full thing's still worth a read. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
So his son is only two months old. In other words, blissfully uninvolved. That plea for help for his son's sake sounds all the more stupid now..

That guy is not going to sell ANY product if he's going to act like that. If he continues to have an attitude like that, I forsee his company going under real quick. If he doesn't own the company himself, then he'll be next in line for unemployment. If I were his employer I would can his you know what!

Yet the most complained about company in the UK (talktalk) are still one of the biggest.

Drink the wine, praise the god of all and let the world be the world?
Google "pixmanias terrible customer service" and see what you get. They are a bunch of thieves that i wrangled with for nearly 3 months.Heres pixmanias wiki page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pixmania

That guy is not going to sell ANY product if he's going to act like that. If he continues to have an attitude like that, I forsee his company going under real quick. If he doesn't own the company himself, then he'll be next in line for unemployment. If I were his employer I would can his you know what!
His company was just an outside marketing firm, as I understand it. Unfortunately, his actions have impacted the real company behind the controller.

Yet the most complained about company in the UK (talktalk) are still one of the biggest.

Drink the wine, praise the god of all and let the world be the world?
Google "pixmanias terrible customer service" and see what you get. They are a bunch of thieves that i wrangled with for nearly 3 months.Heres pixmanias wiki page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pixmania
It's mainly owned by Dixons Retail... No surprise there. :wacko:

Wow. I read the entire email thread last night and this argument between two people has not only spread from Penny Arcade, to Kotaku, all over my Twitter feed, several cross posts from Facebook and friends all the way over to the Pandora Forums here.

All in a matter of mere HOURS.

I am floored at the rate this went viral, that's all I have to say here really. All over a few gnarly emails that really shouldn't have happened.

I am floored at the rate this went viral, that's all I have to say here really. All over a few gnarly emails that really shouldn't have happened.
See, I'm not surprised by how it spread at all, myself. The fact that the e-mail exchange should not have been nasty is *precisely* why. :p

See, I'm not surprised by how it spread at all, myself. The fact that the e-mail exchange should not have been nasty is *precisely* why. :p

You make a good point there. My job the past few years has been technical support for my ISP. I know just how to handle people over the phone and essentially perform as a proper customer service rep should. This man acted like a twelve year old and is paying the price for it as he should.

His kids / family REALLY should have been left out of this whole ordeal. The actions of a stupid man don't speak a word for a mother and child. =/

His kids / family REALLY should have been left out of this whole ordeal. The actions of a stupid man don't speak a word for a mother and child. =/
This will probably sound harsh, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if he brought them into it himself to try to get sympathy.

This will probably sound harsh, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if he brought them into it himself to try to get sympathy.

He claims that people have been contacted the wife to try to get to him. That may well be true.

For the son I don't really understand HOW anyone can drag him into this, short of physically finding him first. At 2 months he'll have no idea any of this is happening. Yeah, maybe some idiots are threatening his son but even that sounds really out there, who would really do that? At worst there were probably the usual taunts of "don't procreate" and he took this as hits against his family. But I'm pretty sure he really is milking this.

Just like to thank Prometheus for bringing this story to my attention.

I wouldn't have known of the events, or the Penny Arcade chaps name from adam personally (though I have seen Penny Arcade before), or the endless list of big shot names the guy trawled up, when infact, he merely knew a bouncer at a local Boston club, who probably doesn't let him in, hence knowing him :)

The speed and intensity of the onslaught of justified reactions the guy recieved from the public, is incredible though.

All for very badly handling the complaint of the little guy and all, via the alternative media of the internet. WOW! Like WOW MAN!!

It's a crying shame we cant bring bankers, politicians and war criminals in power to their knees, in the same manner, as they have done far worse to every little guy with even a minimal voice and even worse to those with none. ;)

Still I'm really posting because I enjoyed the snowsurfing email exchange so much...."earlobe stretching tonka-truck tyres"...pure quality!

His Twitter account (http://twitter.com/oceanstratagy) is brimming with great tweets from Dec 29 onwards. You'd think this would have been a profoundly humbling experience for the man, or that it would have at least taught him to shut his big mouth but.. nope. Good entertainment for everyone else though. It's all kicked off with this gem:

"I didn't know who the dude was at Penny Arcade - I really didn't do anything wrong, and my reputation is ruined forever."

Followed by a long string of complaining and making excuses.

And apparently, gaming 5 hours a night qualifies you as a "techie."

.. okay apparently he changed his twitter AGAIN to this. http://twitter.com/OceanDeepSea

He actually had some already. Here's a voice one. http://www.deadpixellive.com/interviews/1298-ocean-marketing-paul-christoforo

He has this really deadpan, kind of angry tone behind pretty much everything he says...

Probably one of the worst things to come from this (in my opinion, of course) was this editorial response by Kotaku. http://kotaku.com/5872042/a-beatdown-where-no-one-threw-the-first-punch There are so many things wrong with it it's hard to really even start enumerating them. I made a big post in the comments but I don't know if it'll get pushed through.

Could you post it here, please, Exo? I'd be interested in reading it.

No problem, here it is:

I understand questioning Mike's conduct in all of this. But where exactly do you get off implicating Dave?

There's a long history of angry and irrational customers attacking retail representatives under some misapplied "customer is always right" ethos. You even imply that Dave was doing this. That was hardly the case. Dave rightfully wanted an explanation for why new customers were being lured with discounts at the expense of preordering customers who were still being kept in the dark. I don't know if Paul had any connection to this marketing decision but he did represent it (and the frustration was directed at this marketing and NOT personally fueled or disrespectful), and he did take it upon himself to deliver a response regarding it. This response was just ridiculous, not only telling Dave that he was not entitled to the discount (without any reasonable explanation) but going further to personally insult him, telling him to "put his big boy hat on." Paul's infractions went far beyond the standard of poor customer communication and atrocious spelling/grammar and were not the least bit instigated nor justified. Dave's 1000 word diatribe only came following this and it was, while angry, pretty dead on.

And I don't see why he shouldn't have assumed PA's or Kotaku's support (never mind the fact that Kotaku DID support him); it's not an awful lot different from expecting a local newspaper to support an expose of a scandal. The press does tend to function as an outlet for representing the common person from public injustice. No one here was the "cop" nor the "sentencing judge"; these sites served to expose what happened. Any consequences that followed from there are fully natural. Paul has been pleading repeatedly that he had a perfect record with thousands of customers until this one isolated incident. But I really doubt that he was a model of good customer relations up until now. This expose was probably long overdue. I really don't understand your argument that these sites were "contemptible." I'm also puzzled as to how you can call internet sites out as improperly judgmental in the content of a highly critical editorial piece. A piece whose exact purpose and function isn't entirely clear to me.

And if you really want to call out anyone as partaking in opportunistic bullying it's Kotaku. Penny Arcade did little more than paste the exchange verbatim, while Kotaku took it upon themselves to dig up dirt on Paul. While this article may eventually include Kotaku among the guilty parties list (but with much less emphasis than Dave, Paul, or Mike) it's all rendered hypocritical by an opening paragraph that does nothing but reinforce it, complete with NEW dirt on Paul. Shame on you Owen Good.

I bet, even with that, Kotaku would have the nerve to insinuate that Mr. Christoforo is the victim in all of this.

Back