JXD S601 [DEVELOPING]

Man... am I the only one who wishes they would release this in the PSP GO formfactor to make it truly "pocketable"?

Android's not the answer if it's being implemented by one of these one-console-per-month manufacturers like JXD because they're not able/willing to do it well.

I wish someone would utilise the new JZ4770 from ingenic because it's a beast and would likely be very quickly hacked to run OpenDingux. Couple it with a 4 inch 640x480 screen and a couple of analog sticks and we'd have a new dingoo a320 on our hands except with excellent ps1 and probably tolerable n64 too.

you are aware that most if not all of these handhelds have basically the same closed source OS wrapped with different GUI depending on the reseller right? They get their OS from the people that make their chipset for them. The maintainers are not JXD and YINLIPS etc... it's whoever they're all getting their chips from.

I think you read my other post and forgot that I wrote it, right? :p

But more often than not, the source code is also provided to the manufacturer by the SoC firm. Unfortunately the manufacturer rarely ever does anything with it (Window do with their Android port from RockChip to some extent, but they rarely fix any bugs - only add more by trying to pile in extra features).

My point was that at least with the JZ* range of processors a lot is already known, and a community maintained OS port could probably be quickly made to run on it thanks to previous work done on the A320. I don't see any Android development for the Yinlips or JXD machines and I don't see any Android development, save for some rudimentary modifications, for many of the tablets that are currently available either.

Last edited by a moderator:
your previous post wasn't the inspiration for me saying that. I came to the same conclusion after owning serveral of these devices and seeing the extreme simularities in the OS and also the flashing process. Tearing apart the internals and seeing a lot of the same chips being used etc. Watching demos of different ones I don't own... it's obvious they are all running basically the same OS in different wrappers.

The reason I say android is the answer as opposed to dingux or useing the same chipset is that you are not going to convince them to use a certian chipset unless you order in bulk using that specific chipset. They won't use dingux unless you are extremely convincing to them that it is worth their time, otherwise like you said they will just use what is freely available and takes little effort to port.

android is a step in the right direction because while it may not be super tweakable without kernel source enough can be changed to make a difference and more is known about android than that closed source whatever they are running. Porting new software to a android based device regardless of chipset is much easier than trying to dechpher what is going on with the standard. I've seen very little binaries released for that os and if there is any it's useally for a specific model.

the "fat" of android helps make it compatible out of the box with tons of software no modification needed.

while the yinlips or jxd 7100 may not see a lot of development, I'm going to change that for the s601 at least. I can't say anything for either of the first two because they didn't interest me, this one does. This is the one I'm going to make stuff available to others for... if there were more people like me out there for those other two devices it may change those ecosystems... but agian these have only been out for like a month or two... the caanoo seen almost no devleopment for months after release, took like a solid 6 months before quality stuff started rolling. (still no custom firmware that I'm aware of though)

While I don't remember reading that untill now, I do agree with the majority of what the linked post suggested.

A first user video on YT. Looks not so bad. Even the low screen resolution doesn't count on the small screen. I realy like the power of the mali400 GPU, although it's only a low cost variant.

But I realy don't like the way chinese manufacturers rip-off other peoples work.

So still a no go for me to buy it.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/WspAon6oOdk?feature=oembed

the device can be rooted with http://unlockroot.com/unlockroot.php and the market installed.

Did you test this unlocker on your device ?

I have my doubts that this is an serious App.

One of the compatible devices in this looong list is the Apple 4GS .

Devices with ICS, not problem. Even devices that needs to flash a modified kernel for rooting.

It semms, that app can unlock all things, that are unlockable. :)

This tool was reported not to unlock all devices in the list, some user reported changed browser bookmarks.

It's not uncommon that virus scanners alerts you on such tools.

But on that tool I have a realy bad feel that this alert has a good reason.

We will see...

Yes, I used it. You can see in the video the super user Icon + root access to TB.

Z4root didn't work on it.

wow!

Nice vid BAFelton, you got Onlive running on it, great job.

I ordered one of these too and preordered the Yinlips with A10 updated version, supposedly has a gaster cpu and gpu. Cang wait to get them,

@ BAFelton

Did you use the same program to root both devices? Which one?

The JXD really seems to be a great bang for buck device. Wow! who would of thought they would hear that about a JXD device. Unfotunatley the Chinese new year means I have to wait a while to get it.

Meh, too much lag or distortion.

Maybe ifbit could run on YOUR jxd, you wouldn't say that :D

In fact it shows what new consoles can do, but people must not expect to play Onlive games at fullspeed on the S601. Also the screen is not multitouch so touchscreen games won't run well on it.

I did not try but I think we could use a pad to play some games.

wow!
Nice vid BAFelton, you got Onlive running on it, great job.

I ordered one of these too and preordered the Yinlips with A10 updated version, supposedly has a gaster cpu and gpu. Cang wait to get them,

@ BAFelton

Did you use the same program to root both devices? Which one?

I gave the link a few posts above ;)

Back