Kit Form Pandora''s

owenshadbolt

Still Fresh
Hi All,

Would it be possible to get a pandora in kit form? and would anyone else be interested in this?

The idea is not to get it any sooner or anything like that. Just thought it might be nice to perform final assembly myself, as a good way to get intimately aquainted with the beast B)

I've already considered the probability that one of the first things I'll do with my Pandora when I get it will be to strip it down!

Owen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you checked out the beagle board? Sure it's not exactly the same as a pandora, but it'll probably be more readily available sooner, and you won't have to rip it apart ;)

'Hooka' said:
Have you checked out the beagle board? Sure it's not exactly the same as a pandora, but it'll probably be more readily available sooner, and you won't have to rip it apart ;)
Yeh, I have checked out the beagle board. Its tempting, but even if I had one... It's just not a Pandora so I would still want to strip it :)

Part of my wanting to pull it apart is to see for myself what hacking opportunities/inspiration I can find!

Owen.

I for one would be interested. I even suggested something like this a while ago. I'm definatley going to figure out how to hack it.

I'm slightly interested, but I don't plan to do any modification, so it would have to be like $5 cheaper or something for me to be really interested.

I think I remember Craigix saying that they will be bought pre-assembled, so selling in kit form would be difficult. Plus, he wants to do a 100% test of the first batch, and testing seperate bits would be much more difficult than having everything in a single case.

I like how you can get different colored shells for popular systems like MS, Sony, and Nintendo. It's fun to get all the special screwdrivers and put the guts into a different body, and they your system is somewhat special.

I don't think this will be the case because other companies won't make shells for the Pandora, but if the next batches feature case enhancements or different colors without changing the insides it would be fun to order just the new case and switch it out.

Not exactly the same thing as a kit, but would still be fun.

'second exodous' said:
I like how you can get different colored shells for popular systems like MS, Sony, and Nintendo. It's fun to get all the special screwdrivers and put the guts into a different body, and they your system is somewhat special.

I don't think this will be the case because other companies won't make shells for the Pandora, but if the next batches feature case enhancements or different colors without changing the insides it would be fun to order just the new case and switch it out.

Not exactly the same thing as a kit, but would still be fun.
You can always take your case apart and then spray paint the shell and then put it back together

'cbox' said:
You can always take your case apart and then spray paint the shell and then put it back together
And just like some people want a kit they could take it apart to just to put it back together again.

It's just not a Pandora so I would still want to strip it

How much could you strip a board with surface-mounted components? A Beagleboard is almost a pre-stripped Pandora!

The beagleboard is almost a perfect 'kit-form' Pandora, imho .. lots of i/o and breakout opportunities, and it'll run the same software, pretty much ..

'vputz' said:
It's just not a Pandora so I would still want to strip it

How much could you strip a board with surface-mounted components? A Beagleboard is almost a pre-stripped Pandora!
I don't want to strip a beagle board... I know the sentence you quoted read that way, but what I meant is that even if I had a beagle board I would still want to strip down my Pandora when I get it.

I want to see how much space there is inside, how it all fits together, and what if any contacts might be available on the board :)

owenshadbolt said:
I want to see how much space there is inside
Zero, or danged close to it, if the devs are to be believed
owenshadbolt said:
how it all fits together
with screws and love
owenshadbolt said:
and what if any contacts might be available on the board
MWesont posted a link to the board layout at one point, complete with all available contacts. If you ask nicely, I'm sure he'll post the final board contacts for you.

'spir1loc' said:
The beagleboard is almost a perfect 'kit-form' Pandora, imho .. lots of i/o and breakout opportunities, and it'll run the same software, pretty much ..
The Beagle has less RAM and NAND than the Pandora (that is, unless the tech specs on their site are out of date), it only has one USB slot (not really a big problem, as you can add a HUB, but an inconvenience if you´re looking for integrated solutions) and it doesn´t have a built in ethernet port (again, solvable with a USB HUB, but it shouldn´t be).

The possibility of different format Pandoras has also been discussed in this thread:

CODE
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=46702

Back