Language learning programs?

Halcyon

I took a look at the program pages but didnt see anything like this, Is there any programs availble that would be useful to learn new languages? I Love and purchased my pandora to play games!!! I do find my self enjoying the other programs as well. Flip clock! :) and the TI-92 emulator. So i was just wondering if anyone knew anything about an open Rosetta stone or something like that?

Im trying to learn German, but can't put the Pandora down, so I thought... there is only one solution here. :)

Danke meine Kumpels (might have that wrong, still learning :) )

I think there's a port of Anki somehere on there, though that may not be as useful for German as, say, Chinese or Japanese.

Worst comes to worst, you could always throw yourself in the deep end and join the German boards!

I stumbled across this:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/openteacher/

It's in python, using PyQt4. If you think it can be useful to you or others, i can try to PND it up :D

Wow, that would be totally incredible. If you have the time i would be pumped to try it out. Please let me know if you make this happen!

Nice find!

In opposition to vadsamoht I think Anki is very useful to learn German - being German I'm learning Polish words with Anki. There are already a lot of card stacks (=decks) available if you don't want to start your own.

By the way, your "Danke meine Kumpels" is grammatically correct. Congratulations! :lol:

^ I just want to point out that I didn't say that Anki would be useless for German (especially vocabulary), its just that the vast majority of times I've seen it mentioned is for learning Japanese Kanji, and I can see why (several thousand characters plus primitives for JLPT1, then another 6000 for Kanji Kentei, with only a small number of repetitions).

Last edited by a moderator:
I used Anki to revise for non-language related exams this summer (which have now finished), and it worked very well. It did, however strike me how suited it was to languages. Even better, although I had to make my own cards, I think there are some public card decks for common languages. Have a go.

Another thing is the wide range of devices it runs on, with both my (Ubuntu) laptop, (Android) phone and Pandora all working, and syncing to their server, allowing switching between devises as I wished.

Cool, I'd probably find this useful when I get my Pandora..

So I downloaded Anki

http://apps.open-pandora.org/cgi-bin/viewapp.pl?/Application/anki-1.2.4-drack1.inf

Copied it into my menu folder where i put all my programs. Started up the Pandora. Found it under education and then tried to run the program. The little "I'm thinking LED comes on, on the far left and blinks for a bit and then stops and nothing happens on the pandora.

Is this happening for anyone else?

I have hot fix 5 and Zaxxon, but i think most people should have that.

If someone has a free min give it a shot and let me know how it goes.

Bitte und Danke :)

I think I installed it through the PND store. There might be a slight difference between them?

I made a program for Dutch learn.... I... this... Me?

I don't know, my Dutch is awful.

ik moet ook een program voor Nederlands talen leren hebben.

ik vind dit thread mooi. :p
Lol, pretty close, and totally understandable.

"Ik moet ook een programma om Nederlands (or: de Nederlandse taal) te leren hebben"

would be correct :)

"Ik vind dit thread mooi" is about correct "deze thread" might be more natural, but more than 50% of dutch people might get that wrong as well ;)

Groeten!

So I downloaded Anki

http://apps.open-pandora.org/cgi-bin/viewapp.pl?/Application/anki-1.2.4-drack1.inf

Copied it into my menu folder where i put all my programs. Started up the Pandora. Found it under education and then tried to run the program. The little "I'm thinking LED comes on, on the far left and blinks for a bit and then stops and nothing happens on the pandora.

Is this happening for anyone else?

I have hot fix 5 and Zaxxon, but i think most people should have that.

If someone has a free min give it a shot and let me know how it goes.

Bitte und Danke :)

I can't remember from where I got my Anki version but it works (hotfix 5, too).

Please check the file /tmp/pndrun_anki.out after trying to start Anki; it contains possible error messages.

I'd love a Japanese kana and kanji memory game. I'm totally procrastinating when it comes to learning katakana. At this rate I'll be able to write fluent Japanese when I'm... sixty-three?

I'd love a Japanese kana and kanji memory game. I'm totally procrastinating when it comes to learning katakana. At this rate I'll be able to write fluent Japanese when I'm... sixty-three?
Katakana's not that bad, especially because a lot of them are practically the same as the hiragana. I'm reasonably sure that there's some kana-memory games on the net somewhere, I've just forgotten where. I'm on university holidays now, so I might make a game, though I can't actually guarantee that it'll be *fun*.

Please check the file /tmp/pndrun_anki.out after trying to start Anki; it contains possible error messages.

[Errno 1] Operation not permitted '/mnt/utmp/anki/.python-eggs/simplejson-2.1.4-py2.7-linux-armv7l.egg-tmp/simplejson/tmpaiyIEL.$extract'

so sounds like my Pandora is trying to make a new power juice from Python eggs and cant get enough $ in start up capital to get the extract and hence prodject off the ground. Is that about right? Unfortunately, I dont have a clue what that could mean.

If anyone has a clue as to what i should try, please let me know.

Lol, pretty close, and totally understandable.

"Ik moet ook een programma om Nederlands (or: de Nederlandse taal) te leren hebben"

would be correct :)
It would also be a bit ambiguous. I personally prefer: "Ik moet ook een programma hebben om Nederlands te leren"

"te leren hebben" can be read as "learn to have" whatever that would mean. Not that it is really wrong, but it reads a bit odd due to the split verb.

"Ik vind dit thread mooi" is about correct "deze thread" might be more natural, but more than 50% of dutch people might get that wrong as well ;)
Indeed. Using English in dutch sentences is always a bit tricky (ik heb de bestanden geüpdatet).

Katakana's not that bad, especially because a lot of them are practically the same as the hiragana. I'm reasonably sure that there's some kana-memory games on the net somewhere, I've just forgotten where. I'm on university holidays now, so I might make a game, though I can't actually guarantee that it'll be *fun*.
Yes, the kana are fairly simple. For games, you might want to check the demo of Slime Forest Adventure, it's quite ok.

Back