Laptop For 2d Games

dilawar987

Still Fresh
hi,

i want to buy a new laptop budget £250-400. use it to play retro games 2D, use internet and watch movies. i want a laptop which has good screen quality, bright and vibrant and about 17" screen.

any ideas.

Any laptop with a 17" screen in that price range?

Seriously, they aren't hard to come by nowadays, but in that price range you'll be limited by brand - anything you find will be more than adequate enough to do what you want. Hell, my Thinkpad X20 can do all of the above satisfactorily in Windows XP depending on what systems you want to emulate and so long as you keep it clean, and that was made in 2001. I've played DivX, DVD's, I browse the Internet, I program, I even do eBay Turbo Lister and other things on it and it was fine.

I don't see why you demand a certain screen size, but that's your biggest problem. I have one of these at work but it's a little more pricey than you want:

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/range.h...c=all&r=X60

And to be honest, it's 17" widescreen, which means that 2D games, without stretching only give you much less than 15" actual image diagonal anyway. Just buy any cheap laptop and don't worry about the screen size. 15.4" are very common at that price and you won't even notice the difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
I recommend Acer TravelMate series. Had one with 3:4 14' display for two years. Perfect for 2d/3d retro gaming.

IMHO 17' are bulky. Maybe if you plan it for home use is better to have another (bigger) LCD monitor?

I have a Samsung GT8000 series laptop and it plays awesomely for retro games. It has a mere P3 850MHz CPU with 512MB RAM. I have Windows 98, XP and Linux on there own partition which you can select from the XP bootloader. Saying that I have an old 386SX for any real old retro games to play on. :D

Not quite 17', but you might want to take a look at a new console that's coming out soon, the Pandora.

CODE
http://openpandora.org

Back