Launch-Ready Emulators

silver said:
Alerino said:
http://www.emulator-zone.com/doc.php/snes/sneese.html

"SNEeSe is a Super NintEndo Entertainment System Emulator for PC's running MS-DOS.
Runing in DOS means that it does not require much CPU power and that makes it ideal for older systems. "

might run through DosBox, right? Could you give it a try, Skeezix?

edit: there's also a ZSNes for DOS
http://www.emulator-zone.com/doc.php/snes/zsnes.html

Just a quick post to say - nope. Running an emu within an emu will give utterly awful performance. It gets done for a giggle, to show it's possible etc..etc.. - but this will not give you anything playable or efficient.

Sometimes it works okay, for example Gameboy within GBA on PSP. But yeah, I've tried running DOS emulators within Dosbox before - they didn't work for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alerino said:
http://www.emulator-...nes/sneese.html

"SNEeSe is a Super NintEndo Entertainment System Emulator for PC's running MS-DOS.
Runing in DOS means that it does not require much CPU power and that makes it ideal for older systems. "

might run through DosBox, right? Could you give it a try, Skeezix?

edit: there's also a ZSNes for DOS
http://www.emulator-...snes/zsnes.html

The description indicates that it "doesn't require much CPU power" purely by virtue of running in DOS, and not out of superior design. Although on x86 these emulators are probably faster since they're probably more aggressively optimized, the overhead DOSBox introduces on Pandora is nothing short of immense.

All this talk about SNES9x is presumably really about PocketSNES, or where it isn't it should be. I don't know exactly how much it deviated from mainline but I know the changes made do matter, especially when coupled with the ASM CPU/SPU cores from the GP32 version that also made the rounds on the GP2X and Wiz versions.

Using the cores on the DS SNES emulators would help even more, since they're faster ASM. But the real performance drain is the video. I still contend that even GP2X should be able to emulate SNES at full framerate under most circumstances with a highly optimized and well designed video core in ARM ASM.

I actually did a build of PocketSNES at one point too. All the baby-induced sleep-dep rotted my memory, so I can't recall where I left all this .. built some 5 or 6 various SNES emus over a couple of days :)

I think I need to retry a couple of those quick ports and see where they were.

Either way, the quick summary is .. there will be at least one usable SNES emu for day-zero (if missing a tonne of features), along with others quickly to follow that are more fully featured within days ;)

jeff

I'm totally looking forward to that. :D The SNES is my favourite console of all time.

I'd love to know why the newer Snes9x versions have that blank screen issue, I must say, but that's just idle curiousity. :p

skeezix said:
Either way, the quick summary is .. there will be at least one usable SNES emu for TWO WEEKS (if missing a tonne of features), along with others quickly to follow that are more fully featured within TWO MONTHS ;)

FTFY. Ah, that feels more comfortable.

SomeGuy99 -- not really; hardware production at the whim of a foreign agency is entirely unrelated to many hands all able to produce something, that is not really too hard (a port is not generally too difficult.)

So, for instance, I could release a couple various SNES emus _Right now_ if I wanted; regardless of that or not, theres a pretty high %age of developers among Pandora pre-orderers, so there will be a lot of hands joining into that fray pretty quickly (many more motivated than me .. I'm not much of a SNES fan I'm afraid :)

jeff

skeezix said:
SomeGuy99 -- not really; hardware production at the whim of a foreign agency is entirely unrelated to many hands all able to produce something, that is not really too hard (a port is not generally too difficult.)

How can I help to delay the release then? I don't feel at all comfortable with these release estimates in.... 'days' was it? Sorry, i'm not familiar with this 'day'? I only deal in 'weeks' and 'months'. Apparently there's a thing called a 'year' but I assume it must be the same as many 'months' joined together.

Your estimate is nonsensical to me, please put it in the standard category of 'two weeks' or 'two months'. Failure to do so may may result in volcano based penalties.

What's up with all the new people with their conspiracy theories and doom scenarios? :lol:

I've pretty much decided that as Pandora reaches shipping, questions will increase exponentially; after release, all 4000 people will be here banging the board with questions that have been explained randomly across threads for the last 2 years, but people will (quite rightly) not know the answers now. And all the non-Linux folks will put up Terminal, and hit 'sudo rm -rf /' and ask what happened ;)

So, everyone get ready .. the next 2 months (!) will be hell on the boards :)

jeff

Perhaps some sort of n00b filter is in order? Questions with certain keywords get redirected to the FAQ?

Jourdy288 said:
Perhaps some sort of n00b filter is in order? Questions with certain keywords get redirected to the FAQ?
Or perhaps we could just - oh, I don't know - treat the so-called "n00bs" like the human beings that they actually are, and try to be helpful? ;)

skeezix said:
And all the non-Linux folks will put up Terminal, and hit 'sudo rm -rf /' and ask what happened

Uh yea, that's exactly what a non Linux person would do...

Prometheus said:
Jourdy288 said:
Or perhaps we could just - oh, I don't know - treat the so-called "n00bs" like the human beings that they actually are, and try to be helpful? ;)
I didn't say newbs, I said 'n00bs', i.e. those who don't pay attention to stuff labeled 'read this first', 'FAQ', etc.? I was one once. I still have some traces, in fact :lol:
But seriously, we should have a system in order that'll ask the n00b if the question s/he is about to ask is already answered. If it isn't, s/he can go ahead posting. This would save them from SO many flames.

skeezix said:
And all the non-Linux folks will put up Terminal, and hit 'sudo rm -rf /' and ask what happened ;)

What does happen?

I'm guessing it's as bad as " Format c: backslash" (which won't post for some reason) back in the day...if I even got that right (it has been a looooong time) :p

Are there Linux Noobs in the circle of Pandora preorderes????, I tought the Pandora is easy to use: charge the Battery, pull the power switsch on, wait until the login screen, log in, put some pnd s on the sdhc card, (strg + c , strg+v (ctrl for the english users) and than whe can start them whit the stylus, thats easy.. !!! B)

MDave said:
I'm still amazed the Gameboy Advance runs PocketSnes :p
That's about as amazing as the Pandora running Windows XP. Slow and useless.

Back