Let's help Skeezix & b_o_b add games to Compo4all MAME

I think it would be good if we can play the MAME games with wifi disabled,

then if we get a good score, run the game again with wifi enabled to upload.

I'm not keen on using wifi all the time while I play a game for several reasons:

- excessive unnecessary microwave irradiation

- battery runs out quicker

Some of the non-MAME games such as Microbes, Nub Nub, my Rescue, and Super Hexagon allow offline play with upload later.

Suggested method:

If C4A wants to send a score, but wifi is off, append the score to a file - maybe CSV like: game,score

If the game is played with wifi on, send the logged scores at exit, and clear or remove the file.

This would make it a little easier to cheat, but we could cheat anyway using the client tool.

You could use some simple obfuscation on the file to stop lazy cheaters.

( In Microbes, Nub Nub, and Rescue, the game only submits personal best scores, not every score. )

^^
In Opentyrian it uses the spaghetti client, but all the code to upload it to c4all is embedded directly in the game and not in some shell script, My branch of the opentyrian code git sources doesn't have the real shortname used to identify the game on the server, so that's another layer of obfuscation to prevent cheating..

I was thinking about having the score keep in memory until game exit and then transmit it to c4all server.. This was mostly to prevent spamming the server when people ended the level, but perhaps I could have it prompt to enable the wifi to transmit the score..

I need to investigate how to transmit the highest score without saving it to a file that can be exploited by dirty cheaters..

Back