Let's help Skeezix & b_o_b add games to Compo4all MAME

Added these now.. need testing however:

aliensyn       Alien Syndrome
asteroid       Asteroids (first vector game; you'll want to fiddle with MAME settings to make it visible right..)
berzerk        Berzerk
bosco          Bosconian
citycon        City Connection
galaga        Galaga
goldnaxe     Golden Axe
inthunt        Into the Hunt
nrallyx         New Rally X
quartet         Quartet <- maybe should be quartet2 instead (same game, less options)
scramble     Scramble
tigeroad      Tiger Road
wboy           Wonderboy

Likely another batch adding tonight or tomorrow

jeff

Asteroids checks out (don't forget folks, Fn+Space, set vector intensity to MAX!)

Bosconian and Berzerk didn't register my score though.

Back to testing...

EDIT/Update:

New RallyX and City Connection didn't register score

Last edited by a moderator:
Some coudl well be broken (ie: MAME may not support them right); up to you guys to let me know.. I'm completely up against the wall for free time right now :/

jeff

Can confirm Berzerk & New Rally X did not register scores for me either. Sad to say the same for Scramble :(

Great to have a play on Wonderboy again, all good there, looking forward to the competition for that one :)

You know, the thing I really like about this arcade is that they don't wheel out the old games when they bring the new ones in :D

bbl .. write up a list of the new ones, and which ones work/don't; I can drop the ones that don't (and cry inside).

Will add more tomorrow, from the list above, if they work ;)

Hopefully net out 10 that work, or I'll keep adding :eek:

jeff

Currently, this is my list:

Asteroids and Galaga work.

Berzerk, Bosconian, City Connection, and New Rally X do not work (hopefully this can be fixed!!)

Scramble and Tiger Road I could not confirm, since I could not get a high enough score to register on the game itself.

I suspect some of the others reporting scores not working...also did not register on the game itself, score not high enough.

What I wonder is...if your scoreboard is full of very high scores...and you get what would normally register...but it does not let you put your name in because you have blown out your own scoreboard...if the score would register.  I'm thinking not, since nothing would write to the .hi file in your game.

So you'd have to manually get rid of your .hi file if you blew out your own scoreboard...on some games.

If it writes nothing to the .hi file, it stands to reason it also would not send to C4A.

This said...games like Frogger - this is not a problem, because it only registers a high score.  And then, when you start the game again...that score re-sets internally.

OTher games, like Bosconian and New Rally X keep a single high score and then do NOT reset when you re-start the game - so if you didn;t beat THAT...then nothing would write to the .hi file, thus nothing going to C4A, I'd think.  Maybe this is wrong.

But this could be the problem some are having with some games not registering with the Hub...simply not getting high enough scores!

The ones I WAS able to get on the internal scoreboard for...are the only ones I can confirm currently work or do not work...for C4A.

Asteroids and Galaga are the two I could confirm DO work.

I could also confirm

Berzerk

Bosconian

City Connection

and New Rally X did not currently work.

Am hoping these games can be MADE to work...because they are good ones!!

I could not confirm the other two I tried...Scramble and Tiger Road...since I wasn't good enough to get on the internal scoreboard.

If nothing writes to the .hi file, presumably nothing gets sent to C4A.

Can you confirm this, Skeezix?

Thus, if you fill up your internal scoreboad with very high scores...it would seem you will have many games that will never send to C4A...unless you manually get rid of the .hi files...which should re-create themselves.  Does that sound right again, Skeezix?

Should consider the possibility of having .hi files get wiped out on games...after the information has been downloaded to C4A...if that could be done.

Otherwise people would have to manually get rid of them every so often, if they filled up their internal scoreboard with very high scores.

kumaki is PMing me as well, since she's on moderate; she's doing some good testing.. this is the way to see her!

-

Given the list of games added today ..  can you check off the one that work, or do not work, or unknown?

aliensyn       Alien Syndrome     < no
asteroid       Asteroids                < yes
berzerk        Berzerk                  < kumaki no
bosco          Bosconian              < kumaki no
citycon        City Connection      < kumaki no
galaga        Galaga                   < kumaki yes
goldnaxe     Golden Axe
inthunt        Into the Hunt            < no
nrallyx         New Rally X             < kumaki no
quartet         Quartet
scramble     Scramble                < ??
tigeroad      Tiger Road             < ??
wboy           Wonderboy            < works

update me..

jeff

not great odds for todays quick adds, but hey, we got some, and I didn't test much, so .. not bad ;)

send me those .hi files requested above, maybe we can do a batch tomorrow

edit: updated table

Last edited by a moderator:
What I wonder is...if your scoreboard is full of very high scores...and you get what would normally register...but it does not let you put your name in because you have blown out your own scoreboard...if the score would register.  I'm thinking not, since nothing would write to the .hi file in your game.

So you'd have to manually get rid of your .hi file if you blew out your own scoreboard...on some games.

If it writes nothing to the .hi file, it stands to reason it also would not send to C4A.

This said...games like Frogger - this is not a problem, because it only registers a high score.  And then, when you start the game again...that score re-sets internally.

OTher games, like Bosconian and New Rally X keep a single high score and then do NOT reset when you re-start the game - so if you didn;t beat THAT...then nothing would write to the .hi file, thus nothing going to C4A, I'd think.  Maybe this is wrong.

But this could be the problem some are having with some games not registering with the Hub...simply not getting high enough scores!
Seems to me that any C4A-enabled game should wipe scores on exit, or that the c4a architecture should do it after the scores have been uploaded.

Correct?

D.

Seems to me that any C4A-enabled game should wipe scores on exit, or that the c4a architecture should do it after the scores have been uploaded.

Correct?

D.
I thought of this long ago.. this is why there is a pre-sync, with c4a-mame, where it pulls down a hi-file template from the server (either manufactured by the server, or a pure-defaults pre-saved .hi file, like I usually do.)

So every session, you pull down a low-scores file, and play against that, and then push up scores.

Even if it didnt' reset score-file you'd be playing against your scores, so any new score you made would sync up; it just makes it harder to get '2nd place' scores, which would be fine anyway; still, I think it best to have all your scores submitted, hence I send down the template first.

jeff

Fairly poor odds of hits there, this round; usually I check them in advance, but looking like no time this week ..

Someone hit Into the Hunt, Quartet, Golden Axe, let me know if this are publishing or not.

jeff

In the hunt did not keep the score, and it also offers continuation where the score is kept :( Great game though.

Chris

I disabled the ones known not to work; the additions from yesterday still in are:

asteroid       Asteroids                < yes
galaga        Galaga                   <  yes
goldnaxe     Golden Axe
quartet         Quartet
scramble     Scramble
tigeroad      Tiger Road
wboy           Wonderboy            < yes

Someone check those middle few.

jeff

I'll have to try some more and get some added..

I've played Quartet just now (quartet.zip) - it doesn't publish. 

goldnaxe / Golden Axe doesn't even boot for me.

Hmm, some of these look like they should work.. something wrong with HiToText output or analysis of the files.

I'll have to look into these guys again later when I get time :/

Back