Let's help Skeezix & b_o_b add games to Compo4all MAME

The games I add (soon!) .. Again I'm picking some true classics, some oddballs, some requests.. Keep things varied, get people to try nee things (new okd things!)...

You don't just want the top classics, right?

The games I add (soon!) .. Again I'm picking some true classics, some oddballs, some requests.. Keep things varied, get people to try nee things (new okd things!)...

You don't just want the top classics, right?
They say variety is the spice of life. :)     I think you're on the right track,  doing it this way maximises the chances of having something for everyone.

- Neelix

Kumaki, I think you already made it pretty clear what you want to happen. There's no need to keep repeating yourself. I think you're past the point where your requests have a motivational effect on those who can make them happen, and you're now entering the territory where you're starting to actually de-motivate them.

This is mostly because of the tone of your requests, which is not friendly and humble but more like "I DEMAND you to do this NOW" and "I cannot understand what is taking you so long! Chop chop, hurry up you lazy bastard!". If I were skeezix, I'd stop listening to your requests just to teach you a lesson in politeness. Meanwhile, you are insulting people like TrashyMG and me by saying that our work is worthless to you.

I understand that you're only doing this because you are very enthusiastic about those games you like. But please take some more time to reflect on how your posts will be perceived.
Well, I'm sorry, your perceptions are incorrect, and you are way too sensitive.  Sorry, not EVERYONE is going to like your work.

So your work is "useless to me"  Big deal.  That hurts you?  Plenty of other people DO like what you're doing.

I am just trying to point out that the entire damn program is CALLED C4A MAME for a REASON!!!

So how about we SEE some MAME added?

The whole reason I was interested...and excited about C4A was MAME!!!  Not all this other stuff.

Take heart from the fact other people like your stuff, okay?  Part of being an artist, if you will...is that not everyone is gonna like your work.  Get used to that.
The thing is called C4A for a reason, too. It's not called C4Kumaki. Feel free to make your own C4Kumaki server though, where games you don't like are banned.

I don't mind at all that you don't like my work. You are free to like what you want. But you're crossing the line when you're essentially saying that skeezix should not be allowed to include my games (and other non-MAME games) in his C4A framework, or at least not before he has included the stuff you want.

Well, we can run multiple servers; it'd only take me a few minutes to fork off another server instance on the same server; ultimately it'll all be open source, and people could run their own as well. (c4a-mame has a config file to let you specify the server to talk to, but I could even make it ask up front..); its not all open sourc eyet, since I'm not happy with the code yet (its still very proro-typey) and I want to be able to change a lot of it drastically (without people having copied bits out and getting me stuck with them for all time ;) You'll see I'm trying to get other people involved, hand over responsibilities.. milkshake running the website, pmprog working on a new frontend; I'm working with the dfevs to add support, and to work on the server etc. We're growing, its an interesting shaky time :)

So, yeah, I'm a dictator, but I also try to be benevolent .. as a software dev of many years, you learn to listen (or ignore ;) everyone equally .. the most vocal people usually _do not_ represent the silent majority. I will always cater to everyone who is enthusiastic, but I will also try to mix it up, and do what I think is right for the project; people often do not realize what they really want.. its another truism developers find out quickly, when users ask for all sorts of crazy stuff and end up unhappy in the end anyway :)

I may be wrong on any given decision, so fight with me.. fine* (or vote me out, someone else can run all this, I don't care; I'm the creator, but so what?); but be respectful of everyone.. always.. and try to think of everyone elses perspective.., always. Don't wanna be kicking people out of subforums or anything :p

So yes, to be fair, Kumaki, ask what you'd like in (I know you want City Connection), but you must be also fair and listen and be supportive of others. None of us like to see the bully run around and demand things, its not fair to everyone.

And in the end, I'm a dictator, deal with it :)

jeff

I can't wait for the 'you're working on Zikzak, what a bunch of crap, when you could be adding mame' posts :eek:

OKay hows this..

PM me your C4A MAME game requests now; I'm sorry, theres a couple threads with this information, and I'll go through them.. but save me some time.. send me your requests _right now_.

(And remember, some games are not decoded yet; some do not work at all in this sort of situation; but I'll can to pick the top 5 or 10 titles to add for June; hopefully add them next week (before June!) for testing before the month actually kicks off!)

jeff

OKay hows this..

PM me your C4A MAME game requests now; I'm sorry, theres a couple threads with this information, and I'll go through them.. but save me some time.. send me your requests _right now_.

(And remember, some games are not decoded yet; some do not work at all in this sort of situation; but I'll can to pick the top 5 or 10 titles to add for June; hopefully add them next week (before June!) for testing before the month actually kicks off!)

jeff
Haha, can't help but be a good guy. :)

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk HD

So will you now scream at people because they are doing their best to get this rolling?

Learn how to add MAME games yourself if you want them and don't just demand, demand, demand...

You are an ignorant, angry brat. Nothing else.

Edit: And yes, it started as C4A MAME, but right now it has become so much more than that thanks to people who dedicate hours and hours of hard work in their freetime to it to make it more universal and bigger.

If you want more MAME games, I would be a bit more quiet. If I were skeezix I wouldn't add any MAME games to it for years after reading your posts.
You assume I COULD learn how to do it in any reasonable amount of time.

This thing was SUPPOSED to be about MAME...and now everything EXCEPT MAME is getting added.

I'm just asking for a little of the love to be thrown MAME's way...is this SUCH a freaking crime?

This thing was SUPPOSED to be about MAME...and now everything EXCEPT MAME is getting added.

I'm just asking for a little of the love to be thrown MAME's way...is this SUCH a freaking crime?
To be fair, I don't think it's what you are saying, but how you are saying it (and the frequency)

Last edited by a moderator:
As noted a few days ago (and you replied to), I'll be adding more MAME games for next month (which is a week away.) The last big batch went in what, 3 weeks ago. Now, I shoudl ask which ones to add, but not a lot of time; you've posted a few wants, and some others, and I'll just pick a bunch; so I'll likely add 10 more in a week (I was planning on doing it Tuesday, in fact, if time works out.)

(It is actually not so hard to do now, for a little while.)

As said before.. I'm trying to release them in batches each month, so people have some focus; if I dump 200 in at once, people will be all over and spread out.. instead, if I put out say 5 or 10 a month, people can focus on those, plus the previous stuff, and keep things together. We're _also_ adding in the indie titles as they come.. theres not that many; I actually posted a week or two back a list of all the games added, and the breakdown.. and indie isn't a large portion; it looks like more since Super Hexaghon is 6 entries, for example..

jeff
Jeff...

Had you posted this a while back...I would have quietly waited.

The news that about 10 new games (and at least some of them being MAME) are coming in next month...is awesome, and certainly would satisfy me for the time.

This is all I wanted.  A little update...and some assurance MAME wasn't being forgotten!

That's seriously all that was needed.

I mean, when you see FOUR Open Tyrian...and SIX Super Hexagon go in there...well, if you're me...you think...geez, there's 10 games added...now no more are getting added for a while...and no MAME...

I'm sorry if I come off as a "brat" - but when you state, as you have all along...that you would be adding about 10 games a month...and then you see ten added, in the form of FOUR Tyrians and SIX Hexagons...well, that comes up to ten games right there!

And I DO thank you for all your work...and for the addition of MAME games.

I shall patiently await their arrival. 

But please give some sort of updates about what will be coming out the next month...even if you just give an update that says something like:

"OK, twenty new games coming next month, it looks like about four will be MAME, ten indie, five SNES, and the others not yet decided..."

I just want to know MAME isn't getting left behind, because THAT is what excited ME about the C4A thing.

The thing is called C4A for a reason, too. It's not called C4Kumaki. Feel free to make your own C4Kumaki server though, where games you don't like are banned.

I don't mind at all that you don't like my work. You are free to like what you want. But you're crossing the line when you're essentially saying that skeezix should not be allowed to include my games (and other non-MAME games) in his C4A framework, or at least not before he has included the stuff you want.
At WHAT POINT...did I say "Skeezix should not be allowed to include your games...or any other games?"

EXCUSE ME - BUT POINT TO WHERE I SAID THAT!!  Find me the ACTUAL QUOTE where I said anything like "skeezix should or should not be ALLOWED to do X, Y, or Z?"

All I said was that I wanted to see at least SOME MAME in there and not JUST indie stuff getting added.

THAT was what I ACTUALLY SAID.  How you percieved it is your own problem.

I do NOT appreciate words being put in my mouth that I did not say.  I'll thank you to not do so in the future.

OKay hows this..

jeff
Done.

PM sent.

And if even three of them make it next month, I'm gonna be thrilled.

To be fair, I don't think it's what you are saying, but how you are saying it (and the frequency)
to be fair...

If I wasn't getting dogpiled and ramrodded by five or six people, you'd probably fiind my tone was a lot nicer.

But try see what you feel like when everyone and their uncle is jumping on YOUR back?

Seriously, It would be really nice...and save a lot of this in the future, I think....if we can all get a preview of what is coming in the next month, as I suggested to skeezix...

Something like:

"Next month - planned 20 new games, 3 MAME, 5 indie, 2 SNES, 4 Playstation, and 6 still undecided...."

All I'm really asking for is to be assured that MAME isn't being forgotten!

Is that so bad?

I had an update a few weeks back, and you replied to quick notes a week back :) also, the last round was just a couple weeks back..

I plan on adding 10 MAME on Tuesday. Indies are extras, added as they come in.

4 opentyrionare ONE GAME; all 6 Super Hexagons are ONE GAME.

Just take it easy is all :)

@Kumaki, we're quite used to your annoying rants about being the target of "attacks" from everyone.

If you were a bit less aggressive with everyone, you would be able to see that we're actually quite nice and patient most of the time.

Right now, you're being awfully annoying for the whole community and especially people that actually spent lots of free time to give us, pandora users, great games/softwares to enjoy FOR FREE (yes, I can also use caps, underscore, bold and large font size to try to make you understand things from the point of view of the others)

hint : you don't have any rights to rant about not getting games you like added to C4A. You have the right to ask nicely though, at reasonable lapse of time   ;)

Indie stuff is as ppl see fit to add them and let me know.. I don't control other peoples indie titles :)

If you want to vote in advance (like next week for Julys release) we could, so you can know whats coming..

Irony.. Complaining about ppl on your back; you are the monkey on -my- back ;) the reason ppl are on your back is because you stir the shit :)

Skeephone

THIS IS THE BEST RELEASE EVER

seriously. I was showing off the c4a environment to a bunch of people recently and they were more impressed with the idea being pulled off than the hardware itself.

If you want to vote in advance (like next week for Julys release) we could, so you can know whats coming..
Was not suggesting a vote or anything...but if you think that is a good idea...as long as something of everything gets in...it's a good thing.

I was just suggesting you preview us in advance, like maybe two weeks before release each month...as to what is being worked on to release the next month, as an example...like I said before...

Twenty games coming next month, X number are MAME, X number are SNES, and so on.

Perhaps you would choose ten or fifteen of them as you see fit, and leave five slots open to voting.

But it's your project...yours was the genius that made it happen, so I'd say the decision is largely up to you.  As I said, as long as MAME does not get totally forgotten...and I have some idea some is coming, I'll always be good an patient, and grateful for what I get.

It's just the not knowing part that kills.

TBH, I'm actually looking forward to the possibility of some SNES or Playstation games being added!

In fact, if Ian is watching this, it would be cool to have a timer or a count of how many lifes you use...added to AquaVenture...so that AquaVenture could end up on C4A....there just has to be some way to actually score it...since you can't die in the game, and you always get 100 Diamonds...the way to score it would be...the shortest time to complete the game...or the fewest deaths/restarts to finish.

In which case, the LOWEST score would be at the top of the list...as it would be in golf...low score would be better.  In a way, low-score games are kinda fun, lol.  But AquaVenture was one indie game I did enjoy a lot.

And it isn't that I do not like or care for indie games...just that there is SO MUCH out there, it is really hard to know what is good or isn't good, so...unless you already have some idea what it's about, or it happens to grab your attention for some reason...

In fact, again, if Ian is watching...perhaps Frootopia could be made to work with C4A.  I enjoyed Frootopia!

Well i was planning to add c4a support to digger which I ported.. but feeling less enthusiastic about it now.

Back