Let's help Skeezix & b_o_b add games to Compo4all MAME

Uploading update to the repo now!

Changes listed above, let me crib them:

-- added scrollbar to the game list on left (a lame solution, but enough for now!)

-- filter out non-arcade titles (since it doesn't know how to run them right now anyway, for other homebrew stuff)

-- get rid of empty status dialogs, put a little status line at the bottom of the display instead

-- resize display to fit a bit better (no more clipping off the bottom)

-- sorts the game list alphabetically

I also updated the banner text a little bit.

PLEASE UPDATE. It doesn't change how anything works, but since I'm planning to add a few more arcade and indie games, the older version will start getting the game list clipped off (it doesn't scroll until this new version.) Since that version also doesn't sort the game list, you never know which ones will be clipped off!

jeff

Going to add any of mine?

Final Fight would be a nice pick from Asmo's though :)

Asmo, .. whats your top N you'd like out of all theones you uploaded?

jeff
I'm good with anything! If I had to narrow it down, a Vector game would be a nice addition (Battlezone / Gravitar / Space Duel work very well), or ED seems keen on Ladybug.....

yep, pmprog, yours that you decoded are next up, then maybe ladybug; I always had a special place for that, one of the first games I figured out how to emulate so many years ago. But its a really hard game :)

Now that the new version of the c4a-mame launcher is getting out, can add more titles withotu worry about screwing people up too much ("get the new version!" standard reply, ftw)

Sorry for delaying a week or two, but had to happen in the right order, these things..

jeff

Going to add any of mine?

Final Fight would be a nice pick from Asmo's though :)
How about any of mine?

Please?

Pretty please with sugar on it?
I know this is kind of directed at Skeezix, but as you've quoted me...

Just naming a game means somebody (else) having to:

• going off to find the game (if not already got it)
  • play it, and check it actually records high score information
  • examine the highscore file, providing the format/contents to Skeezix
How about uploading some of the PanMAME .hi saves, along with what scores were in the table at the time? That will cut down a lot of shoe leather

Someone have the tempalte and scored hi files for Kung Fu Master and Chase HQ?

I'll check Asmo's lists... if they're not there, someone set us up the bomb :)

jeff

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm wondering if bogus random games are welcome to join the ranks of compo4all, or there is some requirement of quality?  I'm not asking to be featured on the main page...  (also I'm aware of Kumaki's opinion for this already!)

In my game one has to rescue kidnapped ladies from out of a cave, and kill the terrifying monsters who took them.  In a 3rd-rate-retro-2d platformer style.  The horrific violence, difficulty level, perma-death, and sexist / erotic nudity means this game is unsuitable for women, children, puritans, or sensible adults.  The possible scores range from 0 to 13, but no one has yet achieved the top score.  I might add fractional scores for treasure collected, or multiply everything by 100.

My game might be somewhat of a disgrace to compo4all, but I want to know if anyone has managed to get a decent score yet!  It is a Pandora homebrew original, anyhow.  And u did say "4 all"   :p

wumpus-large.png

All your base are belong to us
I don't see a problem with the language in Zero Wing - we would expect an evil alien/foreign attacker to talk funny!(and our guys might lose their wits under the stress of the attack). It's a classic, anyway.

Ah, someone picked up on that particular bit of viral Engrish, eh?

I don't really see a problem, either...except for that they were trying for correct English...and got this Engrish instead.

Which, actually, probably helped the game's popularity...and feel.

As to MY view on C4A...it's irrelevant, since I'm not the programmer.

I merely asked WHY we were adding all this OTHER stuff...INSTEAD OF...more cool retro MAME stuff.

As long as cool MAME stuff is ALSO being added, I don't have any problem with stuff like that...every person just picks and chooses what they want or don't want, no big deal.

Although, I might note here that, as more games get added...some of us may want a choice in the UI...to display only the games we have installed...rather than all that are possible...and trip this with a toggle.

This way, you don't end up like FBA, where you go thru 5500 titles to find yours. (I should note FBA has a way to toggle, so that you DO get a list of only what you have actually installed.)

I've always believed more choice was a good thing.

I just want to be sure we are ALSO adding the cool retro MAME stuff I want...since that is what this was SUPPOSED to be in the first place.

It obviously evolved beyond it's original creation.  Which is fine...just so long as all this other stuff doesn't get added IN FAVOR OF...good MAME stuff.

As long as good MAME stuff is being added...anything else that gets added is fine.  I use it or not as I wish.

Would like to see some FBA stuff get added, too, if it could be done.

Would be fun to do a compo on DoDonPachi.  I have to be in the right mood for that one, but I do sometimes like "thousand-bullet-hell" games.

Damn you Dredd, making me have to think about ethics and shit on 4 hours sleep. Hmrf. Honestly, just the look of the title turned me off so I didn't look at it (sorry), but my taste is not relevent to the compo (it is not my compo, I merely came up with it.)

I think the line woudl be offensive/crossing the line/illegal; something not to most peoples liking, I guess we don't care.

This is where genre/filtration may come in .. have a 'goofy' or 'grossout' or something section(s).

If its not appropriate for main page (I woudln't know, your words not mine), then maybe wait until we have filtration and up-scoring; or we can hook it up; its not like our community is on the world stage radar or anything :eek:

jeff

I think the line woudl be offensive/crossing the line/illegal; something not to most peoples liking, I guess we don't care.
Well it's not very offensive yet, I might have over-stated that.

But, I was thinking about whether to add additional horrorific and erotic imagery - in addition to the incompetent pixel art I have now - and some people might take offense to it.  My response would be - it's the internet - if you don't like it, don't play it!  If I do enhance the game in that way, I could turn it off by default or do it in a separate version which does not work with compo4all.

I'll write the code to add compo4all support, and then see what happens.

I'm happy to make changes as you wish, but that might be difficult if you won't look at the game ... !  maybe you can appoint a deputy?

As to MY view on C4A...it's irrelevant, since I'm not the programmer.
I was HOPING to save you the bother of writing those 1448 CHARACTERS by reminding you that I already KNOW your opinion! :)   (mood: friendly)

oh I didn't say I wouldn't look at it, just that when I saw it in the repo I skipped over it :) I was a punk kid, into all sorts of crazy stuff, I've probably seen it all (escept Two Cups .. I can't take that, holy shit :eek: ) ..

So, yeah, I don't think it would be right to censor (unless somethign is obviously hateful, malicious, etc). Art is art.

jeff

Well it's not very offensive yet, I might have over-stated that.

But, I was thinking about whether to add additional horrorific and erotic imagery - in addition to the incompetent pixel art I have now - and some people might take offense to it.  My response would be - it's the internet - if you don't like it, don't play it!  If I do enhance the game in that way, I could turn it off by default or do it in a separate version which does not work with compo4all.

I'll write the code to add compo4all support, and then see what happens.

I'm happy to make changes as you wish, but that might be difficult if you won't look at the game ... !  maybe you can appoint a deputy?

>As to MY view on C4A...it's irrelevant, since I'm not the programmer.
I was HOPING to save you the bother of writing those 1448 CHARACTERS by reminding you that I already KNOW your opinion! :)   (mood: friendly)
But my point was that you didn't know my opinion.

Because I do not mind other things being added...so long as good MAME stuff is also being added.

the way you stated it...made it seem as though I was totally against adding this sort of stuff, and I'm not.

But a way to filter down to only the stuff you WANT...so as to not have an over-wieldy front-end would be nice.

LEt each user customize their own front-end to include what they want.

I would like to make a personal request for "Aliens" from Konami.

Thank You,

Chris

Back