Libre Software Meeting : July 01-07 Saint-Etienne (France)

Any new videos?

Did anyone have anything negative to say about the Pyra? I would like to hear what others think of it.

Did anyone have anything negative to say about the Pyra?
My prediction regarding that one, diff it with a mainstream mobile phone and you have the answers to that:
  • Too expensive
  • Too big
  • Outdated processor
  • No camera
  • No capacitive touchscreen
  • 720p screen
  • Not shiny enough
  • Awkard to call with
  • Half-assed Android support

Pictures from sunday afternoon:
sunday01.jpg sunday02.jpg

where is
@ptitSeb ?

:D

My prediction regarding that one, diff it with a mainstream mobile phone and you have the answers to that:
  • Too expensive

After some explanation, they understand that this kind of device with the process involved (community and free software) has to be expensive at the beginning.
And it's like a pocket knife, multiple usage to cover lots of tasks .

• Outdated processor

With the processor board plugs in the main board, we didn't get remark on this.

• 720p screen

We got remarks on this because of the font size.

• Too big
  • No camera
  • Not shiny enough
  • Awkard to call with

No remarks regarding these points.

Overall good reception for the Pyra.

Nothing to add.
Some who heard of the Pyra are waiting for the final unit with all the features.
Others will follow progress.

Last edited:
  • Too expensive
  • Too big
  • Outdated processor
  • No camera
  • 720p screen
  • Not shiny enough
  • Awkard to call with
I mean the people who were hands on with it, not those that read about it on the interwebs. I think trying it out will make some of those things seem more or less problematic, and other things, like the keyboard, could prove to be really good or really bad for outsiders.

@fantomid
Sounds like it made a fairly positive impression, or at least people were fairly open minded about it.

Thanks for the info.

@fantomid
Sounds like it made a fairly positive impression, or at least people were fairly open minded about it.

Thanks for the info.
@Caine:
People from the free software community are often open minded. So they could understand the points you mentioned.
Other few people got a positive impression strengthen by the separate CPU board and the optional 4G module ;)

Did anyone have anything negative to say about the Pyra? I would like to hear what others think of it.
Well for a longtime lurker, I never tried a Pandora or Pyra before, so it was pretty much awesome overall.
Even for a prototype, the keyboard felt good enough (though I might have to stretch my thumbs to reach the center keys), but the D-Pad felt too soft IMHO.
The Pandora has a similar feel, but the D-Pad being non-final is worse. I hope we'll have a more clicky one, but I'll make do with it regardless.

It would still be useful, I think, to hear the thoughts of those with no prior knowledge of the project.

Yet again I really want to try out the keyboard (this is a very important part of using such a device, and is my only big complaint* about the Pandora due to how irritating it is to do a lot of typing on it). I will wait for the final one in my working Pyra so I can see how it actually is.

*The cases have quality issues too, and although mine is now scratched and cracked all over, it is "good enough" since there aren't big holes.

Back