LibreOffice Java Problems

GeBeCluck23

So I tried uninstalling, updating, then reinstalling LibreOffice; then uninstalling, updating, and reinstalling Java. But for some reason, I keep getting the message,

"LibreOffice requires a Java runtime environment (JRE) to perform this task. Please install a JRE and restart LibreOffice." whenever I try to run any of the programs in LibreOffice, (Writer, Math, ect.)

Previously Java made it sound like it wasn't even installed because when I ran the uninstall application, it told me it wasn't even installed. However, after redownloading the JRE from Oracle's website, and putting the update in appdata/java/, Java now knows it's installed, so that's good. I even tried another app that requires Java, (Jedit) and it works fine, so I believe the problem is LibreOffice specific. Now, I actually haven't noticed any downside of this warning. As a matter of fact, it boots up whatever LibreOffice program I chose after a bit, and all I have to do is close the window. But, aside from being annoying, I'm worried there's some unseen repurcussions of this error. And more importantly, if I can fix it. Any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I know, I'm working on that.

In the mean time, if you want Java, extract ARM JDK somewhere and make LibreOffice point to it, it will work, but for now, you can't use the JAVA PND automatically.

"LibreOffice requires a Java runtime environment (JRE) to perform this task. Please install a JRE and restart LibreOffice."
If you click "OK" through it, you'll get into the program, then if you go into the Options/Preferences - there's an option to disable Java support. I can't remember exactly where it is, but set that, and you're good without Java!

Alternately, you can just ignore the prompt. LibreOffice seems to work anyway, even though it complains that it won't work without it.

Seems silly to ignore them when you can actually turn them off.

Tools -> Options -> LibreOffice\Advanced -> Uncheck "Use a Java runtime environment"

you can't use the JAVA PND automatically.
What needs to be done to get it to work?
I need to automount the JAVA PND at the start of LibreOffice, as pointing it to just /usr/bin/java is no enough for it's internal test. Not a big deal, but for now I'm working on updating LO to latest version, and I will try to make java works with java pnd.

I need to automount the JAVA PND at the start of LibreOffice, as pointing it to just /usr/bin/java is no enough for it's internal test. Not a big deal, but for now I'm working on updating LO to latest version, and I will try to make java works with java pnd.
If there are files it thinks it needs I can have empty ones created as part of the java "install" process, if that'll help. Or does it genuinely need the files inside the package for reasons other than running the java binary?

If there are files it thinks it needs I can have empty ones created as part of the java "install" process, if that'll help. Or does it genuinely need the files inside the package for reasons other than running the java binary?
Honestly, I'm not sure what it needs / check. I will try to just automount, and add the jdk to the path, should do the trick, and still be plug'n play for end user.

Thanks for the help, if my plan fail, I'll try to look in the code how detection is done and ask you for the dummy files.

Huh, okay. That makes sense I suppose. How can I automount the Java pnd and point LO there? I'm not sure how to do that. And what exactly does LO use Java for in the first place? I'm just kind of curious, I assume there must be some reason, otherwise it doesn't make sense to be there in the first place...

Thanks for the help, if my plan fail, I'll try to look in the code how detection is done and ask you for the dummy files
No problem. The Java PND is very due for an update anyway, I should do that tomorrow.

Back