Light guns in emulators?

Blue Protoman

No, I do not mean using a USB light gun of some sort. I mean emulating light guns with the touch screen. For example;

NES (Zapper): It was emulated in the Wiz version, but I can't remember if it used the touch screen or the D-Pad.

SNES (Super Scope): Would it be trickier to emulate?

SMS (Light Phaser): How many games supported this? Six?

Genesis (Menacer): I can only think of the pack-in game for this. Unless you count the Konami Justifier for the Sega CD version of Lethal Enforcers.

PS1 (Guncon): I think the PS1 had several good light gun games, like Time Crisis.

MAME: Games like Area 51, Maximum Force, probably others...

Anyone have something to contribute to this?

I think some of these questions would get answered pretty quickly if you had your Pandora in your hands.

It might be as easy as:

Emulator uses mouse as lightgun.

Pandora uses touchscreen as mouse.

Emulator uses touchscreen as lightgun.

I think some of these questions would get answered pretty quickly if you had your Pandora in your hands.

It might be as easy as:

Emulator uses mouse as lightgun.

Pandora uses touchscreen as mouse.

Emulator uses touchscreen as lightgun.

The problem is, I won't for two months!

My guess is that you will be able to find a solution just playing around a bit and maybe checking out the documentation. If not, you can raise the problem then and someone can fix it. By the time you get your unit, there's going to be a lot of stuff available to distract you if any coding needs to be done.

Are you finding time to complete all your homework and studying? If you need a project to take up time, I'm sure someone can come up with a project. I was going to suggest you go over to the GP32X forums, since people comment on how dead it can be over there. But then I was reminded of all those science fiction movies where the plan backfires. Jurassic Park is one example.

P.S. I was thinking about making a game where the player has to "sanitize" a community infected with a deadly contagion. I was going to title it "The Protoman Virus," but I thought that might be offensive. Even so, it would have made a nice title.

I just tried a couple quickly, here's the results:

NES (gpfce) Duck Hunt

Works with cursor. No shooting sound though, strangely.

SNES (9x4D4P) Super Scope Six

Doesn't seem to work

MAME4ALL Terminator 2

Arnie says "No way Jose" as it starts up! Screen says could not calibrate gun.

I didn't spend any time trying to get them to work, just had a quick go, so there might be some settings to fiddle with somewhere. If I find any others that work I'll post it here.

Like the touchscreen idea by the way, no idea how hard that would be to implement though.

Edit: typo

Last edited by a moderator:
i think the real question here is.....does R.O.B work for the nes emulator

Touchscreen as a light gun is kinda like putting the zapper right up to the screen so you never miss. I don't think I'll be playing any zapper games.

Also, I thought if you don't use a CRT screen light guns of old won't work? Now shooting games are controlled by motion sensors and cameras aren't they?

Touchscreen as a light gun is kinda like putting the zapper right up to the screen so you never miss. I don't think I'll be playing any zapper games.

Also, I thought if you don't use a CRT screen light guns of old won't work? Now shooting games are controlled by motion sensors and cameras aren't they?
yes they are and they SUCK! the light guns were way better. the new IR based light gun games in arcades are awful. old school light guns didn't have issues with distances from the screen and things like that. if the barrel could see the enemy then you hit him. no crap about relative motion changing as you change distance and all. much more intuitive.

Touchscreen would still be more fun than using a cursor though, IMO. Just ramp it up to the hardest setting.

You would need a CRT for the original guns to work, yes. I'm sure touchscreen could be made to work though, if someone was so inclined.

Love your sig ;)

I know shooting games on the Wii I just can't get into, they don't seem accurate. I hear the tech that the PS3 and Xbox use are better though. Maybe in arcades these kinds of tech will show up.

So basically the Pandora will never have any shooting games, even a native shooting game couldn't be made? I'm just curious about this, what would making a shooting game for the Pandora entail if it was possible? Obviously I'm thinking of hooking it up to a TV, most likely an HDTV.

I know shooting games on the Wii I just can't get into, they don't seem accurate. I hear the tech that the PS3 and Xbox use are better though. Maybe in arcades these kinds of tech will show up.

So basically the Pandora will never have any shooting games, even a native shooting game couldn't be made? I'm just curious about this, what would making a shooting game for the Pandora entail if it was possible? Obviously I'm thinking of hooking it up to a TV, most likely an HDTV.
Have you tried Resident Evil 4 on the Wii? I thought that worked brilliantly, fantastic game.

Something like this might be possible to get working.

Edit: get working with the Pandora and a TV, I mean.

I'm not sure what you mean about it not having shooting games?

yiou mean not having games with light guns?

you can surely hook a wii remote to it with bluetooth if you REALLY want.

Have you tried Resident Evil 4 on the Wii? I thought that worked brilliantly, fantastic game.
Oh man, RE4 is a fantastic game. anyone who hasn't played it should play it ASAP.

I don't know what was wrong with my question Luke, I was just asking if someone wanted to make a shooting game for the Pandora what it would need to make it happen. I like shooting games. I don't think I ordered the video out cable, I'll have to get that first I guess.

I played a few hunting games and the House of the Dead game for the wii and none were very accurate. I calibrated and calibrated and it didn't seem to make a difference. I have not yet played Resident Evil 4 yet on the Wii, I have to try it out on someone's soon I guess.

Well for Playstation alone there's an apparent wealth of games beyond the obvious Time Crisis, Point blank and Die Hard games (all of which are D pad playable in one or other Ps emulator) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_light_gun_games 27 games possible.

Protoman isn't too guilty though, as theres only been a few inconclusive threads on this topic, which a search may have found between the forums.

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/58243-ps1-lightgun/

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/50070-snes-or-mame-emulator-with-touchscreen-as-mouse-or-lightgun/ wiz

Regardless, it would be nice to implement touchscreen for these games and those on any system that is emulated, Alien 3 The Gun on Mame, Duckhunt, Snatcher on PicoDrive etc. With an X stylus to see whats going on, these games would a blast on a train trip or similar.

As has been mentioned before though, for modern TV's the tv out cable would be useless anyway, as they simply dont register lightguns from PS2 era and below. I did once see some PC based USB lightguns that claimed to overcome this and make Mame possible but I cant find the company at present.

RE4 is awesome on both Gamecube and Wii and for Wii it really worked (except the sniper section which seemed better on GCube). I was sorely disappointed with RE5 on 360 though, as it was simply no progress on 4 bar gfx and the narrative was poor. In addition the lack of motion aiming, coming from the Wii version, probably also made it seem to suck more.

The Wii isnt great for such games though, (I've yet to try Ghost Squad) but it kinda works for House of Dead + Overkill and I'm enjoying Goldeneye 007 but it does have serious control issues. The cover system and 'snap to' that works so well in COD4 etc, just doesnt always work in Wii Goldeneye, so Daniel Craig pops up and snaps to the nearest piece of art, ceiling, or floor decoration of supposed interest, rather than the guy in your face with an AK47.

I sat out the original Red Steel and it again kinda works, whilst Far Cry was god awful. I've yet to fire up Red Steel 2 but I gather its alot better, though short.

The PS3 Move is potentially alot better prospect but I cant help thinking with the gun attachment I will be wanting that glowing ping pong ball to fire at the telly like the old toy guns. It looks ridiculous. I hope it can prove its worth of fixing, or re-buying a new PS3, as they are scarily expensive for a machine that wishes largely to download updates, and melt its own motherboard and YLOD itself.

Why is it I'm on my 2nd Wii, 4th 360 and soon 2nd PS3, whilst my megaCD, PCFX, Saturn, Dreamcast, Gamecube etc still work whenever I dig them out the attic? Manufactured obsolescence?

As for old systems, ONLY the Dreamcast got it right (Perhaps the Saturn but mine is attic based, so cant check) in that you plugged the damn thing in and it required zero calibration, it simply worked. Xbox may have mirrored this on HOTD III, but the handy breakway cables function to stop your kids ripping the console off its shelf, also means you've probably packed all the non wireless controllers away in the attic, repleat with their end of the actual cable! Or perhaps thats just me :angry:

i must be the only person thats never broken a console, must be cause ive never owned an xbox

Back